Land Rover LR3 questions

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
LR3 is the best product (reliability wise - we'll leave capability for another debate) LR has built since inception! I have owned 8 land rovers. D1, 2 D2s, RRC, RR4.6HSE, 2 LR3s (mine & ex wifes). The LR3s (05 & 06) have been trouble free. Both bought with 50 & 60k miles, now with 115k & 85k miles respectively. I cant say the same for the other LR models I have owned.

Look at autos.msn.com. LR3 actually ranked 5 stars for reliability. I agree. Buy it!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Info: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/
(includes links to LR3 specific forums and buying tips)

Pics:http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Land-Rover

211888716_kHQsQ-XL.jpg

ISUHawkeye

Observer
Wow,

Thanks for all the great coments, and info. What are everyones recomendations for after market roof baskets, and bull bars.

It seems the 05's have the most problems, as the oil pump is inside the engine block (can anybody confirm?).

What are you saying? Oil pumps are always inside the engine block.

I had one on lease and loved it - that said, make sure you check the drain holes on the roof on a regular basis... I noticed the sound of sloshing water in ours and discovered that cavities in the body had been filling with rain water which was finding it's way all over and leaking out onto the floor in different places.... every time you went around the corner it sounded like the surf was coming in. It apparently was finding it's way in around the sunroof due to the drain channels getting plugged. Kinda made me glad in the end that it was a lease as I'm not sure what the long term effect might have been. That said, my wife still keeps asking if we can get another one.

What is WITH Land Rover and sunroof drains? They still didn't get it right? I've probably owned 10 cars with sunroofs, and I've never had this issue. Yet Land Rover has it on every one.

As for overall reliability of these things, you'll never get a good answer. Ask 5 Land Rover mechanics and you'll get 6 different opinions.

The 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.2 / 4.0 / 4.6 Rover, nee Buick, engines place the oil pump in / hanging from the front cover.

I claim ignorance in all things D2 and later :)

The location is different from a Chevy V8, but I still consider that internal.

I thought he was suggesting most engines have an external oil pump.

22596_part.jpg

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
What are you saying? Oil pumps are always inside the engine block.

What is WITH Land Rover and sunroof drains? They still didn't get it right? I've probably owned 10 cars with sunroofs, and I've never had this issue. Yet Land Rover has it on every one.

As for overall reliability of these things, you'll never get a good answer. Ask 5 Land Rover mechanics and you'll get 6 different opinions.

I dont know what mechanics you are talking to, but the LR mechanics I have talked to all agree that LR3 reliability is very good (especially compared to previous LR products). I havent ever read a BBS post from an LR3 owner criticizing their vehicle like previous LR product owners.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Good evening!

Sorry I'm late to the party - I have been playing over in the Sportsmobile section in eager anticipation of the arrival of my new family truckster:sombrero:

OP - Just shot you a PM. I do have a fairly "kitted out" (as kitted out as one can an LR3) and it spent the better part of a week this spring following Dan Mick and a few other friends around Moab, and a week out in Breckenridge with my 110 for the National Land Rover Rally. Nwoods turned me on to looking at them this spring, and I haven't regretted the purchase one bit. It has been dead-relaible and tackles anything I throw at it within reason. Is it a King of the Hammers truck? Not in a million years, but it sure is a hoot out in Moab on the majority of the trails, and a family of five can get from here to Moab in complete comfort in just a little more than 14hrs. (Probably won't do that straight through though...again...:Wow1:)

Keep an eye on the suspension bushings, brakes, and the other items mentions and you should be good to go, and by all means make sure you get it out and USE IT if you get it! I have had a LONG suffering relationship with Land Rovers dating back to my college days (I'm knocking on 40 now...) and I thought the Disco II was the last "Real" Land Rover to be built, but I may have to give the LR3 a little more credit than I initially have. I actually prefer the LR3 over the '08 FF Range Rover that I had (please hold on a moment while I don my flame suit...), and if you have kids or gear the extra room is greatly appreciated. Fit and finish is great, and even with little ones climbing in and out and slamming doors the truck is still bank vault solid.

All in all I think the LR3 is Land Rover's best kept secret - the soccer-mom mobile that actually can be used as prescribed!

I'm on my laptop getting ready to get the kids to bed, but I will try to post up a few pictures of it tomorrow out in Moab - can't wait to get back there again next spring!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 141

atancreti

Observer
Good evening!

Sorry I'm late to the party - I have been playing over in the Sportsmobile section in eager anticipation of the arrival of my new family truckster:sombrero:

OP - Just shot you a PM. I do have a fairly "kitted out" (as kitted out as one can an LR3) and it spent the better part of a week this spring following Dan Mick and a few other friends around Moab, and a week out in Breckenridge with my 110 for the National Land Rover Rally. Nwoods turned me on to looking at them this spring, and I haven't regretted the purchase one bit. It has been dead-relaible and tackles anything I throw at it within reason. Is it a King of the Hammers truck? Not in a million years, but it sure is a hoot out in Moab on the majority of the trails, and a family of five can get from here to Moab in complete comfort in just a little more than 14hrs. (Probably won't do that straight through though...again...:Wow1:)

Keep an eye on the suspension bushings, brakes, and the other items mentions and you should be good to go, and by all means make sure you get it out and USE IT if you get it! I have had a LONG suffering relationship with Land Rovers dating back to my college days (I'm knocking on 40 now...) and I thought the Disco II was the last "Real" Land Rover to be built, but I may have to give the LR3 a little more credit than I initially have. I actually prefer the LR3 over the '08 FF Range Rover that I had (please hold on a moment while I don my flame suit...), and if you have kids or gear the extra room is greatly appreciated. Fit and finish is great, and even with little ones climbing in and out and slamming doors the truck is still bank vault solid.

All in all I think the LR3 is Land Rover's best kept secret - the soccer-mom mobile that actually can be used as prescribed!

I'm on my laptop getting ready to get the kids to bed, but I will try to post up a few pictures of it tomorrow out in Moab - can't wait to get back there again next spring!!!
I am also in Des Moines IA. Great picture of your rover in Moab. I am also in the market for a LR3. I would like one that is in good enough shape to get an extended warranty and be under $28k. Sound do able? I don't want fancy tech features as I think they will have electrical issues in the future. (based off my DI...)

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
The biggest problem with the LR3 is that parts are easily 2-3 time more expensive than the D1/D2. If something goes wrong it's gonna be costly! However, like others have said, it may be Land Rover's "Best Kept Secret" that everyone should know about.

Brake pads may wear quickly, but the rotors do not. Thermostat should be changed ever 50K, but it's a piece of cake. Diff & T-case fluid should be changed every 30K to prevent failures; Mine are groaning a bit and I might be facing issues. Expect to change your front control arm bushings every 30-70K. Wearing through tires on the regular is hardly news to anyone who has owned a Rover.

I'll never call a Land Rover reliable, but in my opinion the LR3 is about as reliable as Rovers get and the safety reports are excellent.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I did a moderate to difficult trail run this last weekend at URE8 and it was lead by a nice LR3 with aggressive tread tires and driven by one of the indy rover shop owners. I was quite impressed at how well that LR3 did on trails that my 110 with a 3" lift had to negotiate. I have open diffs on the axles (that needs to change) and I'm sure that traction control was coming in handy for that LR3 on some of the rock climbs.

Very impressive indeed. Says alot as well that an indy shop owner would choose an LR3 to go to a Land Rover Rally event in.:ylsmoke:

ISUHawkeye

Observer
Well, I did it!!! Last night I picked up my 2008 LR3. I will post pics soon. I am very excited about getting to know this new truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal