Land Rover ownership–A special illness?

thallca

Observer
What is it about these Land Rovers?

Since I purchased my 1989 Range Rover in july of 2006, I have done the
following work on it;

• Replaced the front brake rotors and pads and the rear pads.
• Replaced the brake lines with stainless steel lines.
• Replaced the brake master cylinder. (Had a bad leak)
• Replaced all water lines with new hoses.
• Had the radiator repaired.
• Replaced the fan, fan clutch and water pump. (fan exploded)
• installed a new heater core in the dash (that was fun!)
• Had new CV joints installed in the front. (let go 150 miles from home)
• Replaced the exhaust with a stainless steel system. (I could push my finger through it)
• Replaced the catalytic converters. (sounded like walnuts in a coffee can!)
• Replaced the o2 sensors.
• Replaced the suspension system. (Driver side rear sagged)
• Replaced the ignition switch. (Key would not turn, expensive part!)
• Had all the fluids in the truck changed.
• New tires.
• Replaced the driver side door handle.(it broke in my hand)
• installed a new radio. (Old one died)

Now it looks like I need to replace my distributor and coil.

This doesn't even include the fun stuff I mounted on the truck, like bumper, winch, roof rack, tent and awning, ham radio, etc.

I never really thought about how much work I have done on my Rover until I sat down and wrote everything down. And you know what, I still love that damn truck!

It must be some like of Rover flu!

I think I need to lay down for a few moments, I'm starting to feel lightheaded...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've been driving, off-roading and working on Land Rovers since 1974. I couldn't even begin to make a list.
I think the illness is terminal. ;)

evilfij

Explorer
Wait, you only have one rover ... there is still time before it is terminal! You are in Nth stage when random people you never met call/email you asking for parts for a rover model you never owned and you actually have them.

thallca

Observer
Wait, you only have one rover ... there is still time before it is terminal! You are in Nth stage when random people you never met call/email you asking for parts for a rover model you never owned and you actually have them.

Well...
I am looking at another Range Rover that a friend wants to sell.

Man, I think I may need intervention...

C Red

Adventurer
I am sure its an illness. My wife won't drive anything else other then a Rover. She wouldn't touch my Toyota FJC when I had it. Her reason... "Its not a Rover." We now have 3 Rovers in the garage and I keep thinking a series II would be a nice addition.
I'm really ill...

superpowerdave

Adventurer
It's an illness. Trust me. Our household is well versed with the symptoms and have found we no longer wish to find a cure ... I'm sure you'll be there soon enough.

KevinNY

Adventurer
When you consider that it's an 18 year old vehicle the day you bought it 3 years ago, your list isn't really that bad.

evilfij

Explorer
Let's think of all the rover disease related things I have done:

1. Named my cat Solex.
2. Would work in the middle of winter in buffalo, in an unheated garage, on christmas to get my Series truck restored.
3. Drove to Indiana, Northern Ontario, Nashville, New Hampshire to collect trucks.
4. All but three rooms of my house are filled with parts (and under the deck, the attic, the basement, and the garage, and another garage)
5. Work outside in winter to get my range rover through inspection.
6. Commute 60 miles a day in a car that gets 11 mpg.
7. Galvanize "everything"
8. Carry 100lbs of spares in every rover and still have the tow truck driver on speed dial.
9. Use my one vacation day a year to go to MAR.
10. Drove a 20 year old 110 across the country and it was not even mine www.whereisjaney.com
11. Bought said 110 and paid someone to drive it back!
12. On a first name basis with most parts suppliers and a huge number or rover people.

weatherm

Adventurer
Ive had mine about 3 months and its been down for 3 weeks. After work I work on it. The wife is already mad and says I spend more time with it than her. Then I go look at it in the morning and its all worth it. I sold my fj40 to get it... no buyers remorse at all I love having bloody knuckles and grit under my finger nails.

thallca

Observer
When you consider that it's an 18 year old vehicle the day you bought it 3 years ago, your list isn't really that bad.

That's true, however, it makes me wonder if any of the prior owners did any work on the truck at all.

thallca

Observer
All but three rooms of my house are filled with parts (and under the deck, the attic, the basement, and the garage, and another garage)

I think I can speak for everybody on this thread when asking "Where do you live, and how many of those rooms do you want us to clean up for you?"

"Will Work For Parts"

evilfij

Explorer
I think I can speak for everybody on this thread when asking "Where do you live, and how many of those rooms do you want us to clean up for you?"

"Will Work For Parts"

Outside philadelphia and rover folks are always welcome to come and browse. I sell stuff cheap if you are there with $20 bills in hand.

larrynsr

It's slow, brakes suck, handles like crap, leaks oil everywhere, quieter on the outside than the inside......but hey...I love her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy