Lanterns?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Mike S said:
I have a Petromax lantern, and I like it better than my three Colemans (two of these are dual fuel). The Petromax is easier to prime and light, has a useful reflector, burns white gas, leaded or unleaded gas, Deisel, or kerosene, provides MORE light, and an attachment is available that lets you pressurize the can from a you OBA system. A bit pricey, but a real rugged piece of equipment.

375214.jpg

DITTO! Love mine. I bought them at a army surplus. Came with 2 lanterns, 4 candel lanterns, and rebuild kits plus alot of extra parts! Love the setup!

perterra

Adventurer
Be careful with gasoline in a petromax. In my research of what lantern to buy I found that the brytelyts are the only ones rated gasoline. They use a different heat shield.

Petromax has rescinded the gasoline rating after the German army had some spectacular fire balls. Appears the fount is soldered together and a lead washer is used under the generator. Running gasoline the lead washer can overheat and melt out leading to the pressurized fount spraying fuel into the globe. If its unattended it then heats enough to melt the solder on the bottom rim of the fount causing a major leak.

They are still probably the best kerosene (and brightest in general) of anything available. Unless you get into some of the custom made nighthawk stuff thats used in amish country. They basically take a petromax, and bump it to run fount pressure up around 130 psi. Takes the light output thru the roof, just cost north of three bills.

thd2f59436.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues