Laptop GPS - more reliable and stable?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
There are some good mapping app's for Macs currently, but unfortunately nowhere near the variety that is available for Windows. That is pretty much the only reason I have a Windows machine for my portable computer. I have no less than seven mapping programs currently installed. I think the situation with Macs will change though, and we'll see more and more options becoming available. My Windows machine better survive until then, because I don't know if I can do this again. . . :)

mbuckner

Adventurer
There are some good mapping app's for Macs currently, but unfortunately nowhere near the variety that is available for Windows. That is pretty much the only reason I have a Windows machine for my portable computer. I have no less than seven mapping programs currently installed. I think the situation with Macs will change though, and we'll see more and more options becoming available. My Windows machine better survive until then, because I don't know if I can do this again. . . :)

What are the 7 mapping appilcations that you run?

Best regards,

Mike

dzzz

It's important to stick with 32 bit windows 7 for this kind of stuff. Runs great on a mac laptop and stops mapping anxiety. I think win 7 home OEM is ~$99. But macbooks are expensive to bang around offroad. In my experience either inexpensive (netbook) or industrial/milspec hardware is the most economic.

It seems the ipad will have some good car applications. But it's not going to integrate as well with the non-apple world.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
What are the 7 mapping appilcations that you run?

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, I currently have the following programs installed on the mobile computer:

OziExplorer
Overland Navigator
DeLorme Topo USA
GooPs Plus with Google Earth and GE Voyager
Memory Map Navigator
USAPhotoMaps
Garmin MapSource topo
Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D

I guess that's actually eight, not seven (or nine, if you count GE separately.)

mbuckner

Adventurer
Hi Mike, I currently have the following programs installed on the mobile computer:

OziExplorer
Overland Navigator
DeLorme Topo USA
GooPs Plus with Google Earth and GE Voyager
Memory Map Navigator
USAPhotoMaps
Garmin MapSource topo
Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D

I guess that's actually eight, not seven (or nine, if you count GE separately.)

Can you run multiple apps at the same time or do
they conflict?

And thanks for the info ....

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Can you run multiple apps at the same time or do
they conflict?

And thanks for the info ....

Yes, it is possible to run multiple apps with one GPS. It requires a program that will take a single GPS data stream and split it into multiple COM ports, each of which can be assigned to different mapping programs. Franson GPSGate is one example. I'm using a DeLorme USB GPS right now, and they have a free Serial Port emulator that splits the signal for up to three COM ports.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Chris,

I've decided to use deform based on recommendations on this firm(yours and others) could you recommend one or two other programs in addition to deform topo. As much as I would love 8 or 9 programs like you it just isn't feasible. Ideally the programs would give good to excellent city navigation and can help with off pavement as well(east coast doesn't have as much off pavement unfortunately).

Thanks and in anticipation,
Sam

x32792

Adventurer
UK4x4-Read your post more carefully

I use both a garmin 60 and a 270 and never had that issue........but even in a perfect world autorouting on dirt roads rarely works whatever software you use.

A predefined route yes

Normally if your on a track not on the basemap or your installed maps the GPS will try and use the nearest "road" to join your waypoints.

Many Garmins seem to have this Soccer Mom Jump To The Nearest Road Default feature. Even using Direct Routing, my Nuvi 1490T displayed a magenta colored line from each Direct Routing point back to the nearest paved road when I did an topo mapped section on a levee in Mississippi.

Off road I pre-prepare route and waypoints along it- turn off the

"jump to road" function

I don't understand "pre-prepare" and don't have the ability to turn off "jump to road" function on my Nuvi 1490T.

and you should be fine- ie use the off road setting or for boats

Don't have these options either.

Car only gps units are developed for roads.......the software to match

I believe you've hit the nail on the head here.

I can't comment on Mac software- but garmin for me to date is both reliable and has global software and support both directly and third party maps.

"BaseCamp", the Mac-based software mimics the Windows version and both are produced by Garmin.

Offroad or on small tracks simply won't ever be fully accurate as no one really GPS maps it- its just taken from existing maps as relative positions.

USGS maps for example can be 50 years old...........so what you see is not always what you get on the ground

Closures are to be expected with 50 year old maps and getting lost now and again are all part of the adventure.

Over here in the Middle east there is little or no GPS maps accept for the cities, and some GPS co-ordinates from the offroad guide books.

I have used more AutoRouting than DirectRouting mainly because my Nuvi 1490T has a limited number of "points." On my first overland, DirectRouting would have required almost 6,000 points which is about six times the number of points my Soccer Mom Nuvi will hold. And from experience, I can now say with confidence, DirectRouting on the Nuvi I was using did not solve the "back to the nearest paved road" feature.

My problems maybe be solved by going with a more robust Garmin 276C which has software designed for both marine and off-road?

The recalculation melt downs I have enjoyed are still a mystery which may or may not be solved with a more robust unit?

John

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Chris,

I've decided to use deform based on recommendations on this firm(yours and others) could you recommend one or two other programs in addition to deform topo. As much as I would love 8 or 9 programs like you it just isn't feasible. Ideally the programs would give good to excellent city navigation and can help with off pavement as well(east coast doesn't have as much off pavement unfortunately).

Thanks and in anticipation,
Sam

Hi Sam, I think you mean DeLorme (?) If so, that's a pretty good one that will allow you to do quite a lot for planning trips, keeping records, and running maps during a trip. I'd recommend trying it out along with their USGS topo and aerial overlays, learn how to use it, and then go from there. It's one of those programs that comes with a lot of instructions (feature-rich) so hopefully you like to tinker with maps and functions. It will keep you busy for a while. As far as excellent city navigation, I'm probably not the guy to ask for advice on that, as I'm not totally up on the latest street auto-routing products. In my experience, the best performers have been the dedicated auto-routing GPS units that can talk and are only for streets (not topo, etc.) There may be stand-alone software that works as good, but it's probably not topo-capable. The DeLorme Topo product (now Topo North America) has auto-routing but I haven't tried the latest version to see if it has improved.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Hi Sam, I think you mean DeLorme (?) If so, that's a pretty good one that will allow you to do quite a lot for planning trips, keeping records, and running maps during a trip. I'd recommend trying it out along with their USGS topo and aerial overlays, learn how to use it, and then go from there. It's one of those programs that comes with a lot of instructions (feature-rich) so hopefully you like to tinker with maps and functions. It will keep you busy for a while. As far as excellent city navigation, I'm probably not the guy to ask for advice on that, as I'm not totally up on the latest street auto-routing products. In my experience, the best performers have been the dedicated auto-routing GPS units that can talk and are only for streets (not topo, etc.) There may be stand-alone software that works as good, but it's probably not topo-capable. The DeLorme Topo product (now Topo North America) has auto-routing but I haven't tried the latest version to see if it has improved.

Thanks Chris, typed that on the iPhone. Stupid spell check. Yes I meant delorme. Just pulled the trigger based on your recommendations.

Can't wait to read the latest OJ!!

Thanks
Sam

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Okay so after much help from everyone on here this is what I did:

GlobalSat Bu-353
Delorme TOPO
Delorme Street Atlas
Garmin nRoute

On a dedicated laptop used only for mapping/navigation and for mp3/movies.

Total cost for software for $45
Globalsat Antenna $30
Laptop I'm debating to use an old dell inspiron or the new HP netbook i bought.

Netbook way will be $250 all in, laptop way will be $75 total cost.

Once i play around with it all, i will post my findings. If anyone has tips to share I would appreciate them.

-Sam

grizz

Have always like the laptop idea for years. You have the flexiablilty to run what ever software you like. The other plus is you do not need bino's to see it. 3-4 inch screens just don't cut it. Vehicle use.
This concept has been working for years on the water for navigation.
I also have the marine charts on my l/top as well as garmin topo, and backroad atlas. Can hop into any vehicle or boat and not get lost.
As long as we have POWER. Carry paper version all the time, backup.

LMarshall73

Adventurer
I've been reading this and a few other related threads for a while and have decided to start gathering the components I need to use my HP laptop in my H2. I'm looking at the GlobalSat Bu-353, but I'm concerned about the cable length (5'). Does anyone have one of these receivers mounted in a semi-permanent manner with the wires hidden? What type of extension cable was used (if any)? Would I possibly be better served using the MR350P (bulkhead mount)? This is a more permanent mount, but it does have a 15' cable with a USB adapter.

Any input would be appreciated!

theksmith

Explorer
just working on mounting the 350P this week, no problems testing it so far in-cab and so ready to make it permanent... but man, drilling through the roof just seemed wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk