Larry's 1978 K10

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
My carbed 496 (8.1L) 86 Suburban gets 9 with a 3 spd th400 in it, I will know soon what it does with a overdrive 4L80E. I would guess Larry gets a little better than mine does now.

That would be great for me (9mpg on the 496). I get about 10 (450 carbed 350 with 700r4, 35's and 4.11s). I also drive it at about 80 mph 70 miles a day. The speed has a HUGE impact on my economy. If I do 60 I get 12 (I also get run over).

I would hope that the vortec motor gets a little better than that. I'm also planning on a nv4500 in the future but will stick with the 700r4 for now.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey, looks like some guy built one similar to yours. I'll have to get the issue and see how far the similarities go.

Congrats on making the cover. As someone who has read 4wor for years that is cool. Come to think of it Metcalf and his flatfender were in a mag last month too. Cool being around all you celebrities, at least virtually. Again, that is bucket list cool, congrats.

I got mine in the mail yesterday and had a chance to read the article. Very cool to get a magazine feature. They definitely took the overland point of view in the article (not the cheap truck p.o.v.)/ Your truck has always been one of my favorite builds on ExPo.

Thanks! The magazine showed up yesterday in the mail and I went by Wal-Mart and wiped them out while the lady was stocking them this morning. It really is a cool bucket list thing to have a project vehicle featured in a globally recognized magazine, especially for a truck nerd like me.

AND today this showed up! While the plaque is not free I was more than happy to pay for something like this.
15490052019_32ec2355d9_b.jpg

Funny story….. my oldest brother bought me subscriptions to FOUR WHEELER and Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off-Road clear back when I was in elementary school in the early 80's because he was tired of me stealing his magazines. I've maintained subscriptions to both magazines every since and the bad thing is I still have ALL of them, and a lot of his from the early to mid 70's. Some of those magazines are now defunct. The bad thing about keeping all of them is they take up a lot of space and are heavy to deal with if you ever have to move. Many times I've had to justify keeping all these boxes of old magazines to the wife. Back in the day the Westcott's square body GM Turtle truck was my all-time favorite where I wanted to have something like that. My K10 is loosely modeled after their old Turtle truck. That said, it is really a neat deal for a truck nerd like me to get a feature after being a reader for 30 years.

The other really neat and somewhat surprising thing was learn how down to earth and flat out nice Rick Pewe, Fred Williams, and Jay Kopycincki were to hang out with. I always figured the magazine type guys would be pretty stuffy and arrogant folks like some other periodical editors in this 4x4 genre. Those 3 guys are not any different than any of us, which was cool to learn.

The photoshoot actually ran over two years but they were not happy with any of the shots from 2013 as there was too much clutter in the back ground to make a nice feature so I was told. In the actual magazine feature they ended up using all photos from the 2014 photoshoot which turned out great, although the only disappointing thing is they did not use any of the action shots from 2013 that Rick Pewe shot where we were crawling through a big hole at the Overland Expo. I was hoping they would at least find one usable photo with it crawling through the hole but I am certainly not complaining with the final feature. Turned out great!

These are some of the ones I that would have been nice to see in the feature as well.
8758730189_51b40cd014_b.jpg

8758714165_54838c47bf_b.jpg

8760027614_af23abfa81_b.jpg

14208528758_b6c286217f_b.jpg

8758841883_0d229e037a_b.jpg

Truck Camper Magazine shot some video during some of the photoshoot in 2013. The video is a bit chopped up but still fun to watch.

Nick and his awesome Cummins powered '72 Super Suburban also got a photoshoot in 2013. Hopefully we'll see his rig in there sometime in the near future. I was really hopping they would have both been in the same issue.

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
Larry Sweet photo shoot:Wow1:, I always drive "Old Iron" and laugh at the 72 -84 easy monthly payment trucks that have a hard time getting dirty. Got my copy in the mail today and reading as the gobblins are calling at the door:costumed-smiley-007

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry I'm sure that I have asked this before but what is your fuel mileage like with the 8.1? Also how many gallons does your tuck hold? (I assume that you have the saddlebag tanks)

I ask because I'm at a crossroads as to where I should go next (it's even got me considering a 4/6BT). I know you aren't a diesel fan and I'm trying to get input on the logistics of taking a 1500-3000 mile trip with a truck that gets 9mpg and has a 16 gallon tank.

The bottom line is that if your truck gets any where near 9 or 10 highway there is no point in me keeping the 350.

The fuel mileage question comes up all the time. The truck has two little 16 gallon tanks but I can usually squeeze about 17.5 to 18 gallons in them. While I haven’t kept track of tank to tank fuel economy I have tracked entire long distance trip fuel economy. In 2012, we did a Southern Utah trip with a few days of off-road on the Hole In The Rock Trail then pedaled back into Colorado and played around on the western side of the state on Imogene Pass and Corkscrew. If I remember right that trip came in about 1500 or 1800 miles but I kept track of every mile and ounce of fuel consumed for the entire trip (including the fill-ups before we departed home) where the MPG came in at 11.72 MPG. I was shocked it was that high as that is right on par with my much more aerodynamic 2001 Silverado with an 8.1L running on the highway unladen.

This past year spring we made the trip to the Overland Expo then up to Canyonlands and back home. That trip came in at 1,717 miles while consuming 159.39 gallons of fuel totaling 10.77 MPG for the entire trip. That number is somewhat skewed because on two occasions I forgot to turn off the fuel transfer pump and overfill the main tank where it pushed out several gallons of fuel past the fuel cap right on the highway before I noticed what I had done. Even at that, 10.77 MPG isn’t too bad for an big block powered 8,000 lb truck with the aerodynamics of a drive in movie theater screen. Guys running late model Power Wagons with little 5.7L Hemis are barely getting that and have much less power.

To put it in prospective, when this truck had a carbureted 350 and a direct drive transmission it was lucky to break 8 MPG and that was long before it gained the weight of a camper shell or popup camper. I have not checked the MPG on my TBI 5.7L Suburban but I really doubt that underpowered rig is breaking over 10 MPG because I am forever leaving toe nail marks in the floor board from beating on the thing to keep up with traffic. I also had a 6.0L Silverado HD for a short while that got decent MPG empty (13 – 15) but once it got a load behind it (Jeep Cherokee on a flat bed trailer) the fuel economy would drop to single digits in an instant. Contrary to popular belief, smaller engines do not always deliver better fuel economy when they have to work their tail off to do the same work as a big block. Another reason for a heavy rig I am not fond of little LS engine swaps as there really isn't any fuel economy savings. If the K10 was running a 6.0L I would almost guarantee the fuel economy would be much lower.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I am totally against diesels. The BS of complexity and unreliability of modern diesels is where I get turned off. I would take an old Cummins 12V, 6.2/6.5L GM, and even a Perkins or Hercules if one fell in my lap but I would never yank an 8.1L for one.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
So you answered my question perfectly. If I put an 8.1 in the K5 I will get twice the power with a 2-3mpg boost. That is HUGE to me. I have no idea what I'd get with a 6BT but I doubt it would be twice what I get now and I would spend 10k just getting it in the truck.

The physics make sense. There's gotta be a tipping point in the formula of torque, fuel consumption and the weight/friction of the vehicle at speed. While the larger engine is capable of using more fuel it also creates torque more efficiently throughout it's curve.

In short it must use less fuel to make a given amount of torque than a 350.

Either way you are getting over 350 miles per fill up I'm getting a laughable 140 (on one tank, my second tank is not working). Sounds like I need bigger tanks that work and an 8.1 lol

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, would you put a 6.5 in that suburban of yours?

Sure, I would use a 6.5L diesel in the Polar Bear Suburban. They’re no Cummins but they don’t weight near what a Cummins weights either but yet still deliver respectable power and great fuel economy not to mention they are 10 times more reliable than a modern diesel. But…. but I don’t have one. Meanwhile, I have a couple 8.1L’s laying around and I’m so deeply vested in the 8.1L hanging on the engine stand getting spruced up for the Burb I can’t afford to change course now. The funny thing is not long after I bought the Polar Bear a low mileage fully dressed 1993 mechanical injected turbo 6.5L popped up on Craigslist for like $500. I researched it a bit and found the factory turbo would not clear the A/C box on an older square body without major mods the HVAC system so I passed on it. I sure would like to build an old CUCV K5 Blazer with one though.

So you answered my question perfectly. If I put an 8.1 in the K5 I will get twice the power with a 2-3mpg boost. That is HUGE to me. I have no idea what I'd get with a 6BT but I doubt it would be twice what I get now and I would spend 10k just getting it in the truck.

The physics make sense. There's gotta be a tipping point in the formula of torque, fuel consumption and the weight/friction of the vehicle at speed. While the larger engine is capable of using more fuel it also creates torque more efficiently throughout it's curve.

In short it must use less fuel to make a given amount of torque than a 350.

Either way you are getting over 350 miles per fill up I'm getting a laughable 140 (on one tank, my second tank is not working). Sounds like I need bigger tanks that work and an 8.1 lol

Yep

mkitchen

Explorer
Now you have a Nationally Famous rig!

Yours is a good choice for a write up. It is a very well built truck and you deserve the attention. Congratulations.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yours is a good choice for a write up. It is a very well built truck and you deserve the attention. Congratulations.
Mikey

Thanks Mikey!

You still have the K5? That would make a great 6.5 project.

Well, yes and no..
histerical.gif
. I kind of went Craigslist crazy this past year and drug home that K5 then a Jeep J20 a while later. Even though they both only cost $400 a piece, Management (wife) came uncorked so the K5 went to my buddy Rob where he is putting together a 5.3L for it then my buddy Bill got the J20. I think the thing that pushed her over the edge was when she heard I wanted to install the wrecker pieces left over from my dad's old wrecker on the J20 so I could more easily drag home more CL crap. Either one would have been great 6.5L projects. I almost got in trouble again this week because there was a super clean '80 K20 with a solid 350/TH350/205 on Craigslist for $1200. Good thing it sold quickly and before I concocted a plan to sneak it behind the garage to hide it next to the K5. The wrecker bits would have been perfect for that truck too being the wrecker bits came off of a '78 K20.

The K5 actually still lives here until we do the engine swap but it is hidden out of sight and out of mind behind the garage.
9595840718_481e16c770_c.jpg

I'm still mad about this one
mad1.gif
I have a 20,000 mile 2012 L96 6.0L sitting around that needs an oil pump that would have been great for this truck. It may still find its way in it if Bill wants to use it. The swap will still cost a fortune just for install bits and accessories. The J20 is actually a pretty clean rig with a goofed up T18 and D20(?) tcase so it needs a new powertrain anyway. Not sure if the 360 was any good or not as we never tried to fire it up due to the trans being out. A 6.0 gas or 6.5 diesel would be perfect for this ole beater
13571854225_25929a0407_c.jpg

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
Just perused the article myself - congrats!! And written by one of the best in the business!

You sure have brought home some really nice treasures there...

Todd Z.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Larry you just make me drool when I see all those cool old rigs!
Can I set a shop in town and you can just tell your wife that you are storing projects for me?
Those old rides are too good to die.:Wow1:

Last edited:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
He does watch it like a hawk. His Suburban was the steal of the century. The K5 was another one that thankfully I'm a benefactor of. Got to get a couple other items to get the project going and we'll need to plan a weekend to do a double throwdown wrench session. Getting excited!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL