Larry's 1978 K10

brut4s

Adventurer
" Also discovered the ORD twin stick 205 shifter is a POS "

Try the one from Northwest Fab, It looks pretty nice. That is the one I'm planning on useing for my Blazer
northwestfab.com/index.htm

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
" Also discovered the ORD twin stick 205 shifter is a POS "

Try the one from Northwest Fab, It looks pretty nice. That is the one I'm planning on useing for my Blazer
northwestfab.com/index.htm

Actually, I don’t think the ORD twin stick is a POS anymore. The Advance Adapters shift lever relocate bracket was the turd. As it turned out, the problems I had with the ORD twin stick where all related to my installation. I got it the twin stick shifter dialed in nicely now after a year of fiddling with it. No more rubbing the turtle shell or popping out of gear. Everything I have gotten from ORD is top notch so I was surprised with the shifter but we’re in good shape in the tcase shifting department now. The ORD twin stick is not sold as a NV4500/NP205 shifter anyway. This was a 203/205 doubler shifter that Stephen at ORD tweaked to work for my swaperoo.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I put a NV4500 in a 86 K3500 using Adavance Adaptors stuff and I will second the opinion that their 205 shifter bracket is less than what I have come to expect from them. Everything else I have ever bought from them has been topnotch though.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, I was surprised on the less than sterling tcase bracket that came with the AA kit as well. Their trans to tcase aluminum adapter was totally misdrilled as well which they quickly sent a replacement with many apologies. ******** happens I guess.

I’ve been meaning to link up some trip reports to this thread….so here they are.. :)

2011 Trips and Adventures

2010 Canyonlands

AZ Strip 2009

....And project Polar Bear

Even if gas is $5 a gallon the old dog will still roll around the Southwest this summer.

You only live once!

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Incredible :Wow1:work you have done on your Chevy Larry! You get my vote for best:drool: rig on Expo!:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Exterior maintenance and interior storage. New shower stall too!

So the old girl needed some TLC on the exterior with the Rhino lined rockers going on 13 years old the UV coating is wearing off leaving it looking pretty bad up close. To paint the rockers I had to remove the fender flares so I decided to paint them too while they were off and since the fender flares were off I also figured it would be a good time to pull out the 3M Finesse-It and the buffer in an effort to erase the last few years of desert pin striping. There was also a fresh scuff on the driver’s door and bed side from our last trip to Toroweep when the shower stall tent blew into it. That dang scuff took 2000 grit sand paper, water, elbow grease, 3M rubbing compound, then Finesse-It finished off with some wax to make it go away. The paint actually looks good for being 13 years old considering all the trees and bushes it has rubbed threw the years.

The goods... I’ve used SEM products before when painting interior pieces so I called these guys up and explained I wanted to paint over Rhinoliner. They recommended scuffing the Rhinoliner with a Scottbrite pad and use the products below. The paint is GM Charcoal gray rubber bumper paint intended for older base model Cavaliers that had gray painted bumper covers. I guess we’ll see how well this paint actually sticks to Rhinoliner over the next few months/years.
7428618138_9227561faf_c.jpg

Charcoal fender flares now instead of black!
7428607494_98c357e65d_c.jpg

The freshly painted rockers and flares match the camper nicely. I like how it turned out
7428598810_b1e755043c_c.jpg

Looks better than the old black flares and shotty looking Rhinolining. You can’t tell in this picture but the Rhino was looking pretty rough.
5895699435_b958a1892b_z.jpg

Also recently added some additional interior storage. Coloradobill has been using these Shelf-It deals for years in his Dodges and turned me on to them. I like it!
7428610948_ff9fcb24d5_c.jpg

Then inside the camper I added a cargo net courtesy of a rental car to keep the stuff under the dinette under control. I seldom use the dinette anyway.
7428614534_8a527d2545_c.jpg

Lastly, I reengineered the outside shower stall situation. Remember above I mentioned the old shower tent blew into the truck? Well, it broke the poles too so I tossed it and went the route of one of those Stearns shower stalls that hangs from a tree. Much more simple stall and takes up much less room as it has no poles to deal with. To hang the shower stall next to the truck I slid a ¾ inch square tube inside the 1” square tube cargo rack that is already mounted to the roof of the camper. To make sure the ¾ tube stays in there while driving I drilled a hole through both tubes and used a bolt and wing nut. I also drilled a hole in the tube to hold it in the out position when the shower is mounted. The stall hangs in the perfect location to reach the shower head on the outside of the camper to boot! I’ll get some pictures of that contraption on the next outing.
StearnsSunShowerEnclosure.jpg

That is it for now.

toddz69

Explorer
Looks great, Larry. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the paint fares on your Rhino Lining as well. I saw your truck at Expo and ogled it for awhile but never did find you. Nice work.

Todd Z.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks great, Larry. I'll be looking forward to hearing how the paint fares on your Rhino Lining as well. I saw your truck at Expo and ogled it for awhile but never did find you. Nice work.

Todd Z.

Sorry I missed you at the Expo Todd. We must have been in a session or walking around the exhibitor area. It will probably be the same crew parked in the same spot again next year. See you then!

Noibn,

Yeah, rental cars have been very generous to me over the years. :sombrero: I have tons of cargo nets if you want me to bring you some when I see you next week.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ah, here is the shower stall situation. I had forgotten that I taken a crappy Droid picture the other night. Better pictures later but you get the idea. It stakes to the ground as well. Hopefully it will be a quick and robust shower contraption over the Walmart special tent thing with awkward tent poles to deal with. This shower stall takes up much less space when packed for travel too!
7434184370_affacb3999_b.jpg

Last edited:

NOIBN

Observer
Noibn,

Yeah, rental cars have been very generous to me over the years. :sombrero: I have tons of cargo nets if you want me to bring you some when I see you next week.

Yeah, sounds good. Maybe having rental car pieces in my truck will give my truck the super powers that rental cars have?? I worked as a mechanic in a body shop years ago and I fixed the underside of rental cars that flexed their super-powers. I would have paid good money to see what some of these cars had done to get the damage I had to fix.

Clutch

<---Pass
Larry, your truck is one of my favorites.

Would love to build a Ford version of it...yeah yeah I know you hate Fords, but I would toss in a LS motor...might tear open the space time continuum though. :ylsmoke:

One of these days I want to buildup a 70's Ford crew cab.

78 ford crew.jpg

Last edited:

BigTex

Observer
I don't know, but I'm gonna step way out on that limb and say that might be the only way someone could post a Ford in Larry's thread and get away with it. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete