Leave the bed or flat bed?

taylorf16

I've got the motor, workin on saving funds to get the 4x4labs adapter kit. I've seen a few quick cheap mods for about 20-30 extra hp that I'm going to do. Probably also do the timing chain, and seals while it's on the ground. I'll be sure to post a damn fine write up when the time comes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taylorf16

I suppose what I'm really looking for is more functionality out of my factory bed.. I ding the crap out of it so I'll need to put some sort of rail coming out of the side of the bed. I also have a homemade rtt so I need a rack, but it has to stay below the cab for aerodynamics. I also want to integrate a cab rack into the bed rack because I can't mount anything on the cab. I could leave my stock bed but ill need to drill holes in it so I was thinking it would be easier to just build a whole new one and save this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Here's an idea or two......

Neither of those are particularly "overland" friendly designs and a RTT might be hard to mount but maybe it gives some ideas. here's one last one of a flatbed I built on my old '85 pickup that was gear for more overland type use.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I would definitely go the flat-bed route. If you have tools (sounds like you do) all you'll be out is a few hundred in materials and time. If you don't like it, put your bed back on. I intend on putting a mini service body on the next truck- bed floor at the factory level, with tool boxes extending down next to the frame.

Wavephf

Observer
Here is a picture of the flat bed I build for my 88 Toyota. I made it just over 7 ft to fit my dirtbikes in with the tail gate up. I put expanded metal in the side so I could use them as ramps. I started building a canvas topper but never finished it.

Last edited:

taylorf16

I'm going to do a stock bed, but with tube to accent it. I'll do a swing out tube tailgate with diamond plate, and a fold down counter for camping. A tube rail around the top of the bed, and when I set my sliders up, I'll tie something into there too. I'll draw up a picture and add to this as a mod/build thread when I do it... Hopefully this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorf16

Change in plans. Have a situation with a camp trailer and having to go 300 miles to see my daughter once a month. :(

Truck is now for sale. $13k or best reasonable offer.
Or trade for a manual trans cummins.

Located in Salt Lake City, Utah

Text or call with questions
801-636-nine8nine5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree about D-cabs looking bad with flatbeds. Take a look at some of the Oz trucks running around down under. Very cool and way more functional then a regular bed. If anything I would argue the a flat bed on a D-cab makes it a more usable truck. (higher payload, more usable space, greater over all usability, etc...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk