LED Back Up Light Opinions

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am putting mine on a 3 way switch. I can have the switch on one position and they will fire up with the reverse lights, or I can switch them independently in case I need light back there for hooking up a trailer or something. I also have a 6" LED flood light that I am mounting to my 3rd brake light. Great for camping or getting some grub and drinks in the evenings.

lugueto

Adventurer
while LEDs will surely outlive you, cheap lights probably wont.

If moisture can get inside the lamp, it will deteriorate it sooner than you might think. Even more so when you drive treated roads in the winter.

If you want them to last, get a set of quality lights, sealed with IP ratings. If this wasn't a concern, then I'd said get the cheap ones.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Like I said, for 30 bucks and free shipping I could go through many sets compared to one set of "good ones"... Which I have seen do the exact same thing...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I got mine on Amazon.
Great lights, but dont seem to handle the UV rays as well...
rattle can paint the housing to slow down the deterioration some...

LEDs.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
while LEDs will surely outlive you, cheap lights probably wont.

If moisture can get inside the lamp, it will deteriorate it sooner than you might think. Even more so when you drive treated roads in the winter.

If you want them to last, get a set of quality lights, sealed with IP ratings. If this wasn't a concern, then I'd said get the cheap ones.

A touch of sealant goes a long way.

Binksman

Observer
I'm running the same Amazon/eBay lights on my Ram here in rural central Pennsylvania (salt on the road from Nov-April). The light output is really quite good. Bright white light. I have them mounted to the frame under the bumper so they are protected a bit and so I can angle them and actually use them as reverse lights. I use them weekly unloading the truck at night. I am happy enough with them that I'm looking at some of the larger ones for up front.

They work, and have lasted so far. I've paid for big names before and been just as dissappointed by them as by cheaper names. Of course this is ExPo :) ...

mkitchen

Explorer
I have a few friends with these flush mount lights from Seward Offroad. Lifetime warranty and well sealed against the elements. $75 bucks.

http://www.sewardoffroad.com/flush-mount/

Hy0p5cPsQz8rO1kzlrf92k4cVCk1DKOcxbvjd_fTkY4-e1386020227982__59169.1416426821.1280.1280.jpg

I have 7 different Seward lights on my Jeeps (pods and bars) and they have been great.

What is the actual size of the hole that you need to cut to flush mount these lights. The description states 3 X 3 inch and I am guessing that is the outside measurement for the lamp. I have a limited amount of space in where I want to mount the lights.
Thanks
Mikey

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
What is the actual size of the hole that you need to cut to flush mount these lights. The description states 3 X 3 inch and I am guessing that is the outside measurement for the lamp. I have a limited amount of space in where I want to mount the lights.
Thanks
Mikey

That's a good question? I have seen a few of these sets installed (and they work very well too BTW) but have not done an install myself? I will ask Pat from Trailskins.com, that is who supplies them here. He will know. 3x3 sounds reasonable, as they are basically a standard cube with a different face.

Will let you know.

Kevin108

Explorer
I'm really happy with them. Even put a second set up front that comes on with my light bar. 180° forward visibility is nice!

2015-10-20%2017.46.08.jpg

lacucaracha

Only thing I'd say about the cheap-o ebay/amazon lights is it's worth disassembling, checking quality, and "souping them up."

Sometimes you'll catch a bad solder or a pinched gasket- sometimes not. It's worth throwing some dielectric on the seals and loctite on the screws to ensure they last just as long as the pricey ones. The wiring seals on the back are usually not the right size, so sometimes a bit of silicone gasket maker is a good idea.

Digging all the lights!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad