Lets see some full size pictures...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Istzephyr,

Thats what driveways are for! :) You live in the southwest.....

IMAGE_099.jpg

Ever since we moved closer to down I have been rocking the driveway fab shop. I still have a shop at work if I need to do something crazy, however I don't use it that much. We have to have two company employees in the shop after hours....dumb rules.....

I think boxing the frame might be a good idea in the long run, but boy would it be a lot of work! I think your talking a full body removal kinda thing. Doing the back half of the frame would be pretty easy since you just have to take off the bed....cab would suck to remove, and welding the front frame with the motor/tcase/trans still in would be harder for sure!

I don't know if you need link suspension on these old girls. I think a set of national/deaver/alcan springs would make a night and day difference, and I have heard as much from people that run them. Follow that up with some good shocks to control a heavy axle/tire/wheel combo and your on the right track.

I think the biggest downfall to the front suspension is the lack of uptravel. As I'm sure you know there isn't much. Even with my leveling springs ( about 2" of lift over new stock height ) I still only have at most 4" of compression travel as it sits. With the cummins over the front axle there really isn't any way to get much more compression without lifting the suspension ( I have thought about lifting the motor 1-2"). I don't want anything higher overall than I have now...so I guess its about making the most of it. I'm guessing some good springs and shocks would go a LONG ways....and larger tire do help a ton also. I think the final step could be to run something like a 2" stroke air bump to make the suspension more progressive. The really downside is that whatever you do, the response curve on the suspension is going to have to be pretty dang steep if you want a soft initial ride.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well...its not domestic...the company isnt..

but it WAS made in the USA...unlike some of the domestics..

2010 tundra SR5 5.7l 6spd auto 4x4 double cab (between crew and extend cab) shortbed.

fast as a rocketship...quiet as a duck fart...18mpg currently mixed driving
more bells and whistles than a control deck!

DCP_8524.jpg

sdmarkus

Here's my rig in it's natural habitat, I'll post another one once I get my camper shell back on:costumed-smiley-007

IMG_0695.jpg

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well I'm a Noob to this forum but not a noob to forums in general. I came across this site looking for ideas for my old 1st gen Dodge. I have already built the drive train up substantialy. My truck is packin some heavy hardware, Cummins with only 370,000 miles,NV4500,205, D60,D80 out of a 97. This Is my DD and was Sled puller also but I'm thinkin about cuttin down on the sled pullin as I like driving it too much to make it a dedicated puller so I'm thinkin plans have changed slightly. I'd like it to be able to handle moderate trails and what not but not be a hardcore wheeling rig. I want to be able to get out and see our great country and be able to be self sufficient.

Ideas Thoughts???

Heres some pics for ya guys.

partsandchanges007.jpg

partsandchanges011-1.jpg

partsandchanges010.jpg

Some pics of My truck in the Snow this last winter and no I am not stuck! I had the swampers on and was chained up in the rear.
whoops005.jpg

whoops003.jpg

whoops002.jpg

whoops001.jpg

Some pics of the drive train upgrades.
partsandchanges017.jpg

clutch011.jpg

clutch002.jpg

steeringshaft001.jpg

96cabpics019.jpg

Back when I was younger and Dumber. Lerned a good lesson from this.
thewreck002.jpg

thewreck003.jpg

thewreck004.jpg

Pest

Adventurer
Here's a few of the Ram, no nice upgrades yet really. I'll have to add more when we get our camper.

IMG_20100529_070027.jpg

IMG_20100529_070044.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20100529_070027.jpg
    IMG_20100529_070027.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20100529_070044.jpg
    IMG_20100529_070044.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 42

chasespeed

Explorer
Pulltilbroke...

Nice ram....

Only thing I can offer, try to set that truck down a little. I know you're not looking to do any serious "hardcore" wheeling, but, sometimes, travels can get us in some sticky spots... and your C.O.G. is important.

Other than that, I say keep on it....

Chase

lstzephyr

wanderer
Welcome pullitbroke. I recognize you from the cumminsforum. That truck is sweet!

I don't know about dropping it back down. These old dodges don't have a lot of wheel travel and I bet that having it up that high might just give it enough travel to be useful at speed. My truck sits pretty high right now and it is literally on the bumpstops in the front.

Jake283618

Been lurking around here for awhile. Love the site there's a lot of information on here that's helping me plan a few trips (when ever those will be)

Here's some info and a few pics of my truck.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado
LS327/327 Crate engine
4" Rancho Suspension
ARB Bumper (winch on the wish list)
305/70R16 Firestone Destination AT's
And a bunch of other mods and a lot A LOT more on the wish list.

100_2524.jpg

100_2525.jpg

1024091746a.jpg

And gotta throw one in there of me Camping.
1025091210.jpg

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Pulltilbroke...

Nice ram....

Only thing I can offer, try to set that truck down a little. I know you're not looking to do any serious "hardcore" wheeling, but, sometimes, travels can get us in some sticky spots... and your C.O.G. is important.

Other than that, I say keep on it....

Chase

Well the plan is to do a shackle flip and re work the rear leaves so I can dump the stupid tall block Dodge thinks is neccasary, When I do this I might bring the rear down about an inch or so to level things out a little I still like to have a bit of rake to it so when its loaded it will sit level.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Welcome pullitbroke. I recognize you from the cumminsforum. That truck is sweet!

I don't know about dropping it back down. These old dodges don't have a lot of wheel travel and I bet that having it up that high might just give it enough travel to be useful at speed. My truck sits pretty high right now and it is literally on the bumpstops in the front.

Yep, Im on there among others like 1stGen, Comp and DTR oddly enough I still haven't ponyed up the money to join the TDR.

I know all about these thing sittin on the bumpstops, thats the way mine was before I put the Rancho gasser leaves in the front of mine. It rides decent up front but the rides terrible unloaded in the rear. I have a home built set of leaves in the rear I put together from a set of graintruck leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal