Lets talk about EGT on E350 7.3's

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Hold on, as I read this y’all are saying that your EGT gets up to 12,000 degrees when pulling hills? “K” equals 1,000 so when you say “12K” you’re saying 12,000. That can’t be right, do you mean 1200? I don’t know anything and just seeking clarity here.
thats a typo

Yes, 1200 degrees.

1300+ is danger zone for the 7.3 PSD

Knowing just how high a bone stock 7.3 PSD can get the EGTs, Ill always suggest installing one.

Until you do, you simply have no idea what its doing.
The fact is, that even stock the EGTs will be all over the map.
From 600-800 cruising highway speeds on flat roads, to 12k+ pulling a good grade.

Any lugging under load, yes, will cause increasingly high EGTs
In general, the best way to lower EGTs is to back off the go pedal, and downshift.
Pulling the same load at a higher RPM will reduce EGTs

Keep the RPMs up, the 7.3 likes to rev. Rev it to 3k if needed, it doesn't care.
And keep the OD off under heavy load situations, your E40D will thank you.
It takes a minute to get comfortable hearing it rev, but once you get used to it you can easily tell its much happier revving than lugging. As a mountain biker its easy for me to understand spinning a higher cadence uses the same power with less loading.

Consensus seems to say add one. Was hopping to avoid that as I have many project going currently but I guess I will. Yikes, I never let mine wined out like that. It maybe sees 2200 tops when shifting and 2600 ever.

Are EGT an issue on stock vehicles? Monitoring them only lets me change my driving habits. I imagine most people in stock form are oblivious to it and pay no attention, just as I have.

OD off, how come? I understand the hunting causes heat but does it have another weakness? I monitor my tranny temp and have no issues with it. Engine really wants to scream with the OD off on the highway so I dont do that.
Let the Detroit Symphony Orchestra SING! Its not screaming, its a symphonic orchestra at work. Listen to that turbo play a melody and the rockers rock! It sounds wild, but it loves to sing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal