Let's talk back country capable daily driver options - used SUV market in 2012

stioc

Expedition Leader
I find myself needing a do-it-all rig, as I'm sure there are many others in the same boat. Since there's really no such thing as a do-it-all rig I'll define what I consider a do-it-all rig.

Daily Driver considerations:
- No more than approx 10 years old (2002 +)
- Looks nice enough to drive to work/client/business etc
- Safe and comfortable enough to drive the family long distances
- Decent fuel mileage (around 18mpg+ on highway)
- Dependable and reliable
- Around $8-10k

Off-road capabilities:
- Minimum of 8" of ground clearance, preferrably 10"
- Part time 4wd
- Low range
- Optional locker or equivalent like VCT, Traction Control that helps stop the spinning wheel
- Be able to fit 31" tires without too much hassle

Yep, that should do it for me :coffee:

So I started thinking about what trucks would fall into this category in 2012 and to my surprise I came up with several...

1. Nissan Xterra - the cheaper alternative to the overpriced 4Runners
2. Chevy Tahoe - Decent truck all around, dated interior but looks decent on the outside
3. 1st gen Kia Sorrento - the most overlooked truck that has lo-range and aftermarket locker available
4. Honda Pilot - ok ok, no low range or parttime 4wd but the IRS, VTM and VTC combined makes it a pretty decent soft-roader. The only big limitation is the factory ground clearance. On the flip side, it's one of the smoothest, quietest and easy to live with SUV on the market with tons of rear leg room and safety features.
5. Toyota Sequoia - another overlooked SUV next to the venerable LC 80s and 100s.
6. Jeep Liberty - I hear good things about it
7. Jeep GC - I hear quality and reliability issues about this one but not enough first hand knowledge to confirm or deny

What did I miss?

Last edited:

bugnout

Adventurer
I've been considering a 2008 or so Suzuki SX4 crossover. Add the Rockyroad lift and some nice AT tires and you've got a very nice compact go anywhere vehicle with about 9 inches of ground clearance. 4x4 system is very nice. FWD only, auto gives you AWD and lock gives you 50/50 split front to rear. Optional factory skids or make your own.

I own a Liberty and think highly of it. so you can't go wrong there either.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm looking around for almost exactly the same thing, though a crew-cab f150 seems to fit my needs more. Meets most if not all your criteria, i think.

What about a ford expedition? Our 2003 expedition regularly got 19mpgs on trips.

Only thing with both of those is low-range. Not sure they have a very effective version, if one at all. I THINK they have low-range, but it's most likely a push-button setup.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Add the trooper and the montero, too.

both of those work well in their late model variants. 2002's were produced in both lines, I think.

ExpoMike

Having owned a 1st Gen Xterra 4x4 Supercharged model, it was a nice rig. Getting in the rear seat was a little tight as the door openings are a little small. Biggest issue I had was the gas mileage. Mid teens on the highway. Towing two ATV's I was down to 11. 2nd Gens were better from what I heard but I also have heard of more problems too.

Stay away from the Kia. Wife had one when we got married and it was the biggest POS of the 45 I have owned. All types of electrical problems. Warpped rotors that could only be purchased at the dealer for $$$. Luckily I found someone local to turn them as I got turned down by one shop.

I agree with Brian, a Trooper or Montero would likely be high on the list given your requirements. Good luck.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I went through your entire checklist in 2010. I ended up with the Toyota FJ. I looked at everything from the Honda, the Hummer, the Raptor, Rubicon, etc.

Mileage is 18-20, and I use it for a daily commuter. It is also a very capable off road vehicle even stock. I had my grand kids (2&7 at the time) with me on a 1,000 mile trip last summer with about 400 of it being off road. The suicide doors do present a "learning curve" to adjust to and that would be the only "negative" for a family vehicle that I could think of. That is, unless, your family is the back seats is 6' 4" tall! :Wow1:

So far, I have about 30K miles on it with not a single maintenance issue.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I just picked up an 06 Jeep Commander (HEMI). Only had it for a month so far so can't really give a good review but so far we love it.
Also looked at the Nissan Xterra but passes since the supercharged needs premium fuel and does not get great mileage either.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've always loved the FJ, everything from the exterior to the reliability to the off-the-showroom-floor off-road capabilities. Until the day I decided to go try one on for a size at a local Toyota dealership. I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I sat in the rear of the truck, I felt prisoned. It was a huge let down for me as I really wanted one.

The early Xterras have always looked nice to me with their rugged looks that say they're capable of exploring more than just the mall parking lots. Are they all supercharged (<2005)?

I've always loved the Monteros, I was probably 11-12 years old when the 80s darkar rallys were being printed in the magazines with the 3 and 5 door Pajeros. I still love them and have a lot of respect for those trucks. In fact, the 6-7year old interior design of the Monteros is still one of the plushiest to me. Everything neatly laid out, g-whiz gadgets and gizmos - reminds me of the 1st gen Eclipse, Diamante and 3000GT interiors. I digress.

I'm looking for trucks that are easy to live with on a day to day basis and yet something still capable of mild adventures: drive 50miles to work, drive to lunch, pick up kids at school, stop at the grocery store, pick up Starbucks, drive to the Target, drive to some kids' b.day party/game/ice-skating etc. Rinse and repeat 23 days a month. The remaining days, pack up the family and the dog, drive 2+hrs to Joshua Tree/Agua Caliente, setup camp, then take the 4wd trails to do some exploration, go to sleep under the stars, pack up, drive home- back to the daily grind. So given how much time is spent driving to and from the destination I want it to be a roomy, comfortable, decent MPG yet good enough to do some intermediate trails.

Oh and after having the Ridgeline for several years I don't care for the pickup truck bed. It's more convenient to have an SUV for me + a small folding trailer for those occasional uses that I ever needed the open pickup bed.

nasko

Adventurer
Xterra's are nice, not all of them came SC, they were available with the SC option in 2002-04. I really liked mine, it was SC, rode quite well, plenty of power, was capable off road but... the MPG sucked. I just sold it, pretty much in your boat right now, won't be used as a daily driver in the city but I need a truck that will take me, the family and the dog fishing, camping, road trips etc... I have a seriously hard time to decide what truck to buy next. The Gen3 Monteros look great, looked at one and was impressed how beefy the suspension parts were. That being said I am not sure what MPG they get, especially on the highway. My other options are manual 2nd Gen Xterra or 3rd (possibly 4th) 4Runner, but he 4th gen was not available manual, and I would prefer the 5speed transmission and not the V8, which brings me to 2005 and they are expensive. Cheers and good luck with your search.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, cool. (I feel the same way about my MIL's fjcruiser. Claustrophobic is a great adjective. I feel like original fj40's are actually roomier and brighter inside than FJC's in a lot of ways...haha)

So to reiterate what you want:

1. feels like car inside with day in/day out comfort
2. tough drivetrain
3. good mileage
4. no pickup bed.
5. realistically priced
6. real 4x4 capability

So, I still say these are my top choices:

3rd or 4th gen Montero
2001-2002 Trooper
First gen 1997-2002 or 2nd gen 2003-?? ford expedition

EDIT: I do have to say though, I know several people who own the honda pilot who absolutely love them. They're very reliable and very safe. If one of these with AWD, a good set of agressive tires, some custom skid plates, and maybe a few off-road farckle additions like a roof rack would serve your needs, I see it as being a very good choice...

Reliability, comfort, and adequate storage space, (having just been on some trips recently) are at the top of my list. I'd rather take a hit in the "perceived cabability" area and carry a winch and some bridging ladders, than sacrifice those three items.

If you can have all four, great, but Honda makes an excellent product.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Xterra's are nice, not all of them came SC, they were available with the SC option in 2002-04. I really liked mine, it was SC, rode quite well, plenty of power, was capable off road but... the MPG sucked. I just sold it, pretty much in your boat right now, won't be used as a daily driver in the city but I need a truck that will take me, the family and the dog fishing, camping, road trips etc... I have a seriously hard time to decide what truck to buy next. The Gen3 Monteros look great, looked at one and was impressed how beefy the suspension parts were. That being said I am not sure what MPG they get, especially on the highway. My other options are manual 2nd Gen Xterra or 3rd (possibly 4th) 4Runner, but he 4th gen was not available manual, and I would prefer the 5speed transmission and not the V8, which brings me to 2005 and they are expensive. Cheers and good luck with your search.

Montero's get surprisingly good mpgs. They tend get around 18-21 on trips and get down into the mid/high teens when working hard offroad.

Much, much better than their toyota counter parts who tend to average 13-14mpgs on trips and can get down into the 10-11mpgs around town.

nasko

Adventurer
It will probably come down to the best deal I get. Montero's seem to go for around 9000 CAD give or take for a 2003-05 with roughly 100-150K km, Xterras are slightly bit more for the 2005 onwards and Toyota's, well I have seen 3rd gen anywhere between 3000 to 11 000. Biggest problem here in TO is rust if the trucks are not oil-sprayed yearly.

stioc

Expedition Leader
What kind of Monteros are you guys talking about? The Sports? I don't really like those, they seem like the stripped down version of the real Monteros, not sure what the last year was for the real Monteros and what are the good years to buy, can someone provide a quick summary please :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach