Lets talk lockers for an Expo XJ

JohnnyBoots

This has been killing me and I feel like the more I research the more i'm confused.

I'm currently running 2" of OME medium duty lift with 31" tires. Don't worry, I'm bump stopped. I'd like a locker but can't decide on which one and whether to do the front or back first. I'm not worried about cost and driveability is key, doing it correctly the first time is the way I do things. . I've been eyeballing a Truetrac for its all-weather and always-on capability but an E-locker has got me intrigued as well. Future mods will be another 1-1.5" of lift but keeping the 31" tires. I also didn't plan on regearing from the 3.55 that I currently have.

My goal has been an expo camping rig with good off-road capability that would resemble how the factory would have modified the XJ for this use. Clean, tasteful and capable. I'll also post a build thread here as well.

Thoughts?

DaJudge

Explorer
For drivability I would do a selectable locker. ARB or E Locker. I have a Detroit in the rear of mine and it works flawlessly as a locker but it takes some getting used to. It would drive much better with a selectable locker. I had a gear type LSD in my ranger (True-Trac) and it can also be an issue on slick roads.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
I use yukon zips in the front and rear: work great.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

mudbutt

Explorer
I have an ARB in the rear and some unknown (to me) auto locker in the front of my 98 XJ. The auto locker up front sucks. The ARB works flawlessly until you blow an airline. If you run an airlocker make up a repair kit to keep on board just in case.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
X2 on the blown airline issue :)

Heat was my issue when running to the front near the exhaust manifold. Solved the problem by running through an insulated heat sleeve and hadn't had an issue since.

I installed the front airlocker first and had the factory tru track limited slip in the rear. If I had to do over I would have run the rear first.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I like selectable lockers. There's a number of them now but I still like the ARB just because it is an open diff when unlocked. I like that in winter conditions on-road.

The air lines are not a big deal - use steel lines.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I have a Powertrax No Slip in the rear of mine. I'm extremely happy with it & it presents no issues. My wife drives my XJ when it snows with no problems. My Mom even drove in once in the snow @the age of 77!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I will echo Muck Savage.
In my 2001 XJ, with similar build and use goals as yours, I put a Spartan "lunchbox" locker in the rear. I was amazed at the difference it made offroad. Almost no need for a front for what I had in mind at least. If I was to do the front I would have gone with a true trac, or similar type.

The key to driving an auto locker on the road, regardless of conditions, is to keep your foot out of the gas on the turns. If you do that you will have not problems... at least in my experience.

The key to me choosing the Spartan (same as other lunchbox lockers) is that I was capable of doing the install myself, it turned out to be easy, and the cost ($250 or so at the time) made it a no brainer. If the day comes when my current Rubi rear locker gives up the ghost, I will go the lunchbox route on this rig as well, assuming there is an version that will fit.

John

njjeepthing

Explorer
If cost is not part of the equation than ARBs are on the top of the list. To save a few bucks, Trutracs are my second choice.

TLCole

TLCole
Trutracks front and rear for DD, forest roads and light wheeling. Especially great for snow. Would (and will) do it again.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Might want to see how my son set up his XJ:

Interior:

The small red button activates the air compressor.
The forward switch is the front locker, the rear switch is the rear locker.

Nice and simple. The lockers are air-activated Ox lockers. Made here in the USA, very strong and reliable.

He's added a Warn 8,000 pound winch since I snapped this photo last summer when we were doing the 600 mile WABDR:

IF something should go wrong, he has a little factory piece that can be threaded into the diff, to manually operate the locker. Never has needed to use it. His 1998 XJ is a very competent on or off-road rig. He did drop the gearing to 4.56:1, to compensate for the 33" mud tires.

I've got air lockers (Zip) front and rear in my JK, and really like being able to control if the rig is locked up or not. It's terrific to have the lockers OFF when traveling snow & ice covered roads.

Regards, CW

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I am about to throw the OME 3.5 on my 2001 XJ. I have been going through the same issue, and decided I definitely want a selectable rear locker.

Which rear Axle do you have? Many of the lockers out there are only available for certain axles... If you have the D35 you might as well just swap it.

I have the D35, and am planning on swapping in a Ford 8.8 from the junk yard with an Eaton E-Locker. I do not plan on locking the front anytime soon. I think a selectable rear locker will fill my expo needs.

ert01

Adventurer
For my XJ, I locked the front first.

Reason being is that the d35 is a waste of money... So I swapped in a ford 8.8 rear to get the disc brakes, 4.10 gears, limited slip, and beefy axles all in one cheap swap. I had to regear the front to match and I got the Auburn Ected installed at that time.

I would not recommend the Auburn as it has always proved to be slightly unreliable to lock and unlock and even when it is "locked" it's just a tight limited slip. When it's unlocked it is just a regular limited slip.

Having LS front and rear and the 242 tcase made it an awesome rig for snowy roads and loose gravel driving but it was still a bit lacking in more technical terrain. So I added a Detroit rear locker to it and have been very happy since.

At some point in the future, I will likely swap out the Auburn for an ARB or OX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3