lexus GX470 vs land rover LR3,LR4

winkosmosis

Explorer
You're comparing a bling-bling car to an actual, proven Toyota truck with some bling. I'm not sure why anyone would choose a modern low ground clearance independent suspension Land Rover for offroad....

discotdi

Adventurer
obviuosly all the people that think the LR3 has low ground clearance don't know how air suspension works. raise it up and get 11 inches of clearance, probably more than a slightly lifted jeep or Toyota. also you can now get lift kits for the LR3. As for off road ability, please, the Lexus GX470 can't even carry the spare for an LR3, especially if you get the HD package with electronic locking rear diff. the independant suspension on the LR3 acts like a solid axle because the air bags are crossed linked. when one wheel raises the off side is forced downward. Land Rover knows how to make a great 4x4, Lexus knows how to make a great CAR!

SCRover

Adventurer
i, too, thought the LR3 would not live up the Land Rover name when it comes to off road prowess. in fact, many of my fellow LR owners/enthusiasts were very, very skeptical when it came out in '05. however, the LR3 has more than lived up.

more and more LR owners are moving over to LR3s because of their off road capability (see previous post). these trucks, in stock form, are hard to match. to argue otherwise means you've never seen them in action, nor driven one. this is not to knock yotas, jeeps or others - to each his or her own when it comes to preference for an off road vehicle.

and this comes from a former Jeep and current Toyota and Defender owner...

lexwoody

Adventurer
The GX and 4th gen Runner shares the same frame and drivetrain is the same except for the t-case. Gx has a full time t-case with a manuel lever (Hi-N-Lo). 4Runner has a part-time with the V6 and V8 is full-time with electric turn knob, electric locking center diff, Hill decent, A-Trac, soild rear axle. You can es the Toyota Prado and 4Runner as an guide for aftermaket gear. You can fit ARB lockers front and Rear. I had a hard time picking between the two also and end up going with Toy because I had lost trust in LR's. I

Alacrity

GX needed just a few things to do the Rubicon;)

129_0504_05z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view.jpg

Neither truck could do it stock. The issue isnt the running gear - hell the FJ is basically the same (tho they've had issues with Ring gear carnage) As I noted before the issue is rock. Size and clearance for both. As you can see above - much came off and up - prior and during.
I still give the edge offroad to LR3, - and I'm a Toyota guy, but no fanboi. Definitive - nope. But they're similar enough that driver skill would make more difference than intrinsic ability.

The 2010 is wider - and appears uglier (tho I'll reserve final judgment 'til I see it myself). Not moved by Toyotas styling lately.

21998j5.jpg

For what the OP was considering, buy a LR3/4 with a good warranty. Or grab an '09 GX before they go away. You'd be fine either way - so buy what you like.

winkosmosis

Explorer
obviuosly all the people that think the LR3 has low ground clearance don't know how air suspension works. raise it up and get 11 inches of clearance, probably more than a slightly lifted jeep or Toyota. also you can now get lift kits for the LR3. As for off road ability, please, the Lexus GX470 can't even carry the spare for an LR3, especially if you get the HD package with electronic locking rear diff. the independant suspension on the LR3 acts like a solid axle because the air bags are crossed linked. when one wheel raises the off side is forced downward. Land Rover knows how to make a great 4x4, Lexus knows how to make a great CAR!

Where is that 11" measured?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
GX no question... Or actually, neither, Either wait for the 2010 4Runner or buy a 4th Gen 4Runner and use the money saved on the basic mods... Plus you can still get a V8 in the 4th Gen... THe 4th Gen 4 Runner with a few monor mods (or stock for that matter) will run circles around the LR3...Or 4 or whatever they call those things.

Whoever said the LR3 is a more capable rig is flat out wrong.

Cheers

Dave

While I would never own an LR3 due to extremely poor reliability, I would never make a statement like this about capabilities. Why? Because I've been on the trails with them.

In stock form with the Adventure Package (incl rear locker) these things are amazing. While the 4Runner/GX/FJ Cruiser are lifting wheels and looking for traction the LR3 just goes. Very impressive. You'd eat your words on our trails here in AZ Dave. Not sure what trail types you go out on so things may be different so no dig is meant.

Of course when talking mods, all bets change as to what wins. As for TRAILEX on the Rubicon and in Moab? There are A LOT more than a "few mods" on that rig. Cutting the body to crap is one of them.

cirquare

maintenance cost

thanks everyone
can someone share me some info about maintenance cost at dealer?

LR3 need go to dealer every 7500 mile
GX470 need go to dealer every 5000 mile
LR4 need go to dealer every 15000 mile ( which I prefer )

also I can't find any LR3 or LR4 with HD package, I alos can't find any gx470 with kdss, any idea how to find them?

thanks

uzj100

Adventurer
LR3 need go to dealer every 7500 mile
GX470 need go to dealer every 5000 mile
LR4 need go to dealer every 15000 mile ( which I prefer )

These are not the issue. The issue is all the unexpected trips the LRs MAY take compared to the GX. I am guessing 3 to 1. Maybe higher. If you have time to spare get the LR for the rear diff lock option.

The GX does not need to go to the dealer every 5000. I take it to the local oil change place with my V8 4Runner oil filter (same filter as GX) and they change the oil for $30 and rotate the tires.

Also, the interior of the LR3 seems very basic as compared to the GX SPA grade interior.

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
GX to the dealer every 5000 miles? That is just silly. Unless it's a requirement of warranty, it is totally unnecessary and a waste of time.

The Trail Lex had very few modifications. They extended the shocks to run Rubicon. The plastic was taken off but could have been left on, that was their choice to make it look more rugged.
Bumpers help of course.

Considering the LR3 is wider than the GX, it is a non-issue. Consider it an advantage that you can make the GX narrower by taking off the plastic.

I'll easily take the GX, not even a question. Built at the #1 rated assembly plant in the world, bulletproof/reliable 4.7, robust and reliable underpinnings, quality interior and Lexus dealership service. It just sells itself.

KDSS is a rare option so you will be hard pressed to find one used. It will take some looking and luck.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
While I would never own an LR3 due to extremely poor reliability, I would never make a statement like this about capabilities. Why? Because I've been on the trails with them.

In stock form with the Adventure Package (incl rear locker) these things are amazing. While the 4Runner/GX/FJ Cruiser are lifting wheels and looking for traction the LR3 just goes. Very impressive. You'd eat your words on our trails here in AZ Dave. Not sure what trail types you go out on so things may be different so no dig is meant.

Of course when talking mods, all bets change as to what wins. As for TRAILEX on the Rubicon and in Moab? There are A LOT more than a "few mods" on that rig. Cutting the body to crap is one of them.

None taken mate ;) Belive me I more then respect your knowledge and expereince. In the rocks they may do well, but they are flat out useless in the steep slippery NW, diferent trails, different needs eh. But then to be fair, IFS or no the best ntrucks in these deep dark woods I call home are old Toyota trucks and 4Runners (Like mine) because they haved WAY more ground clearence then anything else and teh WB is about perfect. Even FJ40's have issues with some of the climbs around here because the lack of WB makes them a hand-full and makes them want to either roll or swap ends on climbs. Both bad things eh ;) Whaty I find is that my old 4Runner with the weight of the top on back, the just about PERFECT WB and the gobs of ground clearence means I'm high and dry and I can always make the climb.

WHat does all that have to do with the OP??? Nothing, sorry for the distraction. Back on toipic: I agree with Schotts in that the GX many are refering to is far from "slightly moded" it's practicaly a whole different truck.

That said, weather or not the LR has adjustable air-ride SUS, that 11" of claimed clearence is at one point, and hardly representative of the gross clearence available. Having IRS makes it better because it's not dragging that anchor out back. That said, I'd rather have solid axles in ANY trail truck no mattter what. Also, I don't think you can realisticly compare a LR to a Toyota in terms of reliability. I'm not talking Series trucks here, I'm refering to the new breed of electronicly controled widgets like the LR3/4 wich IMO Toyota is better at making. Toyotas ARE more reliable and since the performance out of the box between the two is close, I'd add lockers to the Toyota andbe done... We all know they're better made trucks then the LR. Does that mean the LR is Junk??? Certainly not, and I think it's cool to see other peoples ideas about the perfect rig. But if you;re asking for a strictly fact-based analisys of the two trucks:

The Trac-control of the LR makes it keep going in the rocks where the Toyota lifts a tire and has issues. Easily fixed with a real Locker for the Totota and then we're back to square one. Wich one do YOU like better??? I would never recomend a newer Rover to anyone just because it is my belief and experience that they are not as well "put together" but hey, if you like them they certainly can be made to work. Look at N.Woods truck. I'd hardly call that a Mall Crawler, it goes out and get's back albeit a bit more finnicky then a simpler truck. I also belive that the Rover has more "complete failure to return" potential meaning that there is more chance that the Rover won't be able to even limp off the trail if something with the suspension goes wrong. I'd hate to jack the truck up to get through a certain obstacle on the way in, damage the ride height or mess up the air-bnags then not be able to get back OUT of the same trail because you no longer have the clearence to get through... For me the OTyota is the superior truck, but as Scotts has pointed out, terrain has a big part in making or breaking a truck's effectiveness.

Cheers

Dave

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Back on toipic: I agree with Schotts in that the GX many are refering to is far from "slightly moded" it's practicaly a whole different truck.

Cheers

Dave

How so?
The only suspension modification was to the shocks. The entire suspension, chassis, body... it's all stock.

armor and tires, the only other additions.

One can easily add an ARB rear locker for relatively cheap and up the capability as well.

TexGX

Explorer
The Trail Lex had front and rear bumper added, a spacer lift up front, tires, rear locker(said not need) and the air bags adjusted in back. The side plastic taken off was for looks not need. These are all pretty common add ons if someone plans on doing the Rubi. On my last trip with very modified trucks, the GX did just as well completly stock. KDSS offers a big plus off road. The articulation is increased by disconecting the sway bar. Check out this website:

http://www.pradopoint.com/

Remember the GX is the Prado dressed up.

It won 4X4 of the year several year in a row. It is a very capable truck.
I am not saying the LR3 is not, but don't underestimate the GX.

TexGX

Alacrity

Heres the original Trailex article:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0407_2004_lexus_gx470_customization/index.html

As far as GX Maint, Local Toyota dealer does my maint - Lexus is about 50%-100% more (location dependent) and I know the Master Tech personally:

Major Services: 30/60/90K - $300 for 30/60, $@ 1000 for the 90 (T-Belt and Water pump plus plugs/idlers/seals/PS fluid/Brake Fluid/Fuel Filter - more than required, but same as I'll do same as I did for my 100).

Minor Services: 15/45/75 - $200ish

Oil Changes - Dealer charges me $15 to use my own OEM Denso Japan sourced Filters (20004) and Mobil 1 SUV. UOAs show good past 15k - I go 7500-10k. Filters were Less than $5 each when I bought them $23/gallon Mobil at Walmart, so @ $50/change.

OEM Denso Air Filters were $15 - change them yourself.

They don't cost much to maintain, less if you do it yourself.

SMD

Adventurer
Wondering what the basis is for all the LR3-has-crappy-reliability comments? How many of you posting this information have first-hand knowledge?

Several years ago I did a little more digging into some of the customer appreciation ratings by various services. I found that many of the surveys were based more on likes/dislikes than actual mechanical/electrical breakdowns. The interior layout and methods of interacting with the vehicle are a bit different for a Land Rover when compared to other manufacturers, which was seemingly the basis for many of the negative ratings. I'm the reverse - being accustomed to LR ergonomics, I find other manufacturer's vehicles to be irritating since they aren't what I'm accustomed to! :coffeedrink:

In my experience of nearly 3 years of LR3 ownership, the vehicle has been as reliable as the Honda and Jeep I owned in years past, and seemingly more reliable than the Nissan Pathfinder my wife owned before her D2. But I'm just one data point, hence my question regarding the basis for the 'unreliable' comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk