Liberty Expedition Rig

tommudd

Explorer
Measure from the middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and let us know where you 're sitting at
The Rustys airtube is OK but I had one back in 04 and after a few months tossed it in the garbage
If you're looking at front UCAs there only one place that has good ones JBA, don't get sucked into RROs BS hype
Thanks

Bretthn

Explorer
The JK tires and wheels are definitely the way to go. I picked up five almost new ones, with wheels, for $500 and I have another $200 in wheel spacer adapters. If I were to buy new tires alone, I would have $750 minimum into a set.

Not my first time using JK tires and wheels either. I built a WJ two years ago with JK tires wheels and a 2" lift:
View attachment 107896
Wish I would have kept this before moving west. . .would have worked well and would have had more room in the back.

Your Liberty is sharp however I am partial to the WJ. Were you running 255/75r17 on the WJ with only 2" of lift or did you have a budget boost on overland springs netting you about 3 inches total? How was it as far as rubbing if you were running tires that big? I am looking for a set of takeoffs myself but am unsure of the fit. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work with the new ride!

Bowzer5

Measure from the middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and let us know where you 're sitting at
The Rustys airtube is OK but I had one back in 04 and after a few months tossed it in the garbage
If you're looking at front UCAs there only one place that has good ones JBA, don't get sucked into RROs BS hype
Thanks

Front 20" from bottom of flare to center of wheel
Rear 22" from bottom of flare to center of wheel.

I purchased an aluminum spool gun for my miller 211 autoset today. I'll start sourcing some aluminum square tubing for the sleeping platform soon. The platform won't be that tall but will have a flipout section or drawer for full length sleeping. I think I'm going to get one of these tents to make sure I stay dry/without wildlife. Looks like it might fit over my planned extension pretty well. . .worried about overall quality. I ran backpacking trips and other adventures (outdoor pursuits) in college and know how lousy tent quality can get. I may bite the bullet, get it, and make my own with features I like from this one.

Jeepin by Al will be getting my business soon! I was considering just getting crown automotive factory replacement upper arms (way cheaper) but really like the idea of being able to swap out the joint vs the whole arm.

Your Liberty is sharp however I am partial to the WJ. Were you running 255/75r17 on the WJ with only 2" of lift or did you have a budget boost on overland springs netting you about 3 inches total? How was it as far as rubbing if you were running tires that big? I am looking for a set of takeoffs myself but am unsure of the fit. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work with the new ride!

I forget the tire size. I believe the tires were off a Sahara model with bridgestone dualers. I did a calculation conversion at the time and they were just shy of 32" total.

Here is the old build link for it (used to work for 4wheel drive hardware/4wheel parts and they gave us gift cards to write about our projects):
http://www.team4wheelparts.com/lifting-my-new-grand-cherokee/
It was a 2" spring kit (no spacers). Fit really well except for minor rubbing in the front that was fixed with a sawzall. Never really wheeled it, just wanted it to look different than all the others.

Last edited:

iMTB

Adventurer
Hmm I might go this route next. It between 235/85r16 tires or the JK take offs. JK takeoffs are just so cheap and always available on craigslist.

Bowzer5

Used the libby as an excuse to procrastinate on another project tonight.

Removed the two rear seats and did some measuring. With the front passenger seat pushed forward (doesn't go that far or lean that far either) I was able to get 6' total length for the cargo area. Considering I'm 6 foot 2 If I lay sideways it could be comfy? That or if I want I can Mess with the passenger seat and see if I can't figure out a way to get it to adjust more/slide more. Pretty excite about being able to ditch the rear tent idea!!
IMAG0481.jpg

I will probably keep the sleeping platform pretty low in the rear. At most three or four inches of vertical storage space. The lowered front section will have more room for bulkier items.
IMAG0482.jpg

Bowzer5

I was thinking about the diagonal sleeping. . .going to try it out and see. If all else fails, popping the rear and putting up a net to keep bugs out or tarp if I expect rain may be a compromise.

I also cycled the suspension last night to check clearances with the tires. With the swaybar hooked up in the front there really isn't any up-travel which is nice considering the oversize tire and limited wheel well space.
178309_10100892803456634_850072018_o.jpg

The rear is tight and will stuff all the way up. May have to trim a little but satisfied for now and know to expect some rubbing.
IMAG0483.jpg

bugnout

Adventurer
I'm 6' and don't fit back there comfortably.

I'm 5'11" and fit fine, I move the drivers seat (power leather) all the way forward and bridge the void in front of the seat using a cooler I own that is just the right height. Someone over on LostKJs had setup thier platform with a folding section to bridge the gap between the platform and the front seat. It stood vertical when the seat was back as a bulkhead.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Ahh the KJ stuffed wheel well... When you are out and about and getting flexy, you may pop-off the forward part of the rear wheel fender/trim. I do it all the time. I ended up picking up a plastic rivet gun and the proper plastic rivets. (NAPA far cheaper than OEM, by the way). As for the front, you may want to pound down the pinch weld if you are making contact there. Fun with a sledgehammer!

Todd

iMTB

Adventurer
The rear is tight and will stuff all the way up. May have to trim a little but satisfied for now and know to expect some rubbing.
IMAG0483.jpg

Looks like it's gonna pull off the front section of the fender. I hockey puck or 2 in there will have it all fixed.

Bowzer5

I'm going to try to cut the leading edge and angle it back to the inner fenderwell (like photo). I just have to make sure I won't hit metal/other obstruction. It will match what I did on the front for clearance . . . haven't hacked on a libby before so its all a learning experience so far!
IMAG0483-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal