LifterCatcher's rear high clearance swing out bumper build

Ok it's time to post up what I have been working on.

I have always wanted a rear bumper with tire carrier/swing out. However I would never pay the prices that they go for, but after starting the build I fully understand why they cost upwards of a grand.

I have spent most of my time measuring and thinking and doing a little at a time.

I wanted a bumper that was high clearance, has side protection and a rear tire carrier with swing out. So after a lot of thinking and designing this is what I came up with. It's not complete and there is a lot of tweaking that I need to do but I am making good progress.

Bumper%20Build%20041.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20038.jpg

Here is the swing out that will house my Hi-Lift Jack and spare tire. I wanted to keep the majority of the weight close to the hinge to keep as much force off the hinge as possible. The above setup only weights 14lbs :)

The hi-lift support will be cut off at the end of the supporting plate, and the top of the main beam will be cut at the same angle as the hi-lift support to make it look purty :nerd:

Bumper%20Build%20042.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20034.jpg

Hi-Lift Jack base that matches the angle when the jack is mounted.

Bumper%20Build%20013.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20018.jpg

Rough basic design of the rear bumper, the main rear beam is 2" x 4" 3/16 Side protection is 2" x 2" 3/16 and the side protection supports are 1" x 1" 3/16. I will add quite a bit more bracing before its complete. I am also going to be adding a receiver and mounts for shackles.

Bumper%20Build%20014.jpg

I searched and searched for a hinge that would get the job done for the swing out and settled on 4x4 competitions hinge kit. I liked the fact that they provided a sleeve for the hing to sit in allowing the height of the hinge to be adjust and fine tuned before welding. The hinge is BEEFY!!!

Bumper%20Build%20016.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20019.jpg

The roll/tension pin is used to set the height of the sleeve then you simply weld it in, and your done.

Here she is mounted up. :domo2:

Bumper%20Build%20021.jpg

I love it!!! The tire will also be housed on the right side and I will start working on that tomorrow.

Bumper%20Build%20022.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20023.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20024.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20025.jpg

Here is how the hi-lift is supported, I used two 1/2" bolts and cut them down to size, I then took my grinder and ground the top of the bolts flat, I drilled a small hole then used a clevis pin to insure the wing nuts could not back off freeing the hi-lift. Super simple and super BEEFY the Hi-lift is very sturdy and it not going anywhere.

Bumper%20Build%20028.jpg

It's getting there!

Bumper%20Build%20029.jpg

This shot shows how tight the clearances are! I feel pretty proud that I was able to make it fit this good. I hate some of the rear tire carrier bumpers that hang off the back of rigs 3' or more. I wanted to insure that my departure angle was better than stock.

Bumper%20Build%20030.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20031.jpg

Fully open.

Bumper%20Build%20033.jpg

Fully open showing clearance.

Bumper%20Build%20032.jpg

Bolts tack welded in :)

Bumper%20Build%20035.jpg

Hing with dual Zerks (minus the dust cap)

Bumper%20Build%20036.jpg

I will be using a 2,000 lb SS Latch like the one below. It will be here on Monday

tire_carrier_latch_large.jpg

The side protection will also have hoops to protect the qtr panels.

Having the Hoops bent up this week :domo2:

Hoops Are bent and welded!

Bumper%20Build%20043.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20045.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20047.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20054.jpg

Bumper%20Build%20056.jpg

Took the bumper off yesterday and primed it, still need to add a receiver hitch and some additional bracing plus the tire mount.

So far I have $168.00 into the rear bumper. Sure beats a grand..............

Stay Tuned!

Chris

keezer37

Explorer
I really like the angle complementing the pillar. The spare on the other side is gonna make it look real good.
I notice the cable/lock. Couple of other suggestions for security:

You can drill one of your holes big enough for a small Master Lock
DSC00082-1.jpg

or something I always liked but didn't have the means to make a receiving sleeve for, a BMW locking lug
BMWWheelLock.jpg

Just food for thought. Anxious to see the finished product.
:lurk:

corax

Explorer
nice work , i was wondering what kind of welding machine are you using?

Bumper%20Build%20013.jpg

If he's using the one on the bench, that's the same kind of welder that I used to build the bumper and flat bed on my previous Toy as well as everything on my 4runner. It's lasted surprising well for what it costs. Good job on the bumper by the way

Chili

Explorer
Bumper%20Build%20025.jpg

Here is how the hi-lift is supported, I used two 1/2" bolts and cut them down to size, I then took my grinder and ground the top of the bolts flat, I drilled a small hole then used a clevis pin to insure the wing nuts could not back off freeing the hi-lift. Super simple and super BEEFY the Hi-lift is very sturdy and it not going anywhere.

That's a great idea. I was wondering how I could accomplish the same thing (drilling a hole in a bolt to better secure it) but thought I was screwed without a drill press. By grinding it flat like that I could use my normal hand drill. Thanks for the idea!

steve103

Observer
sweet bumper, the clearence is a little close dont you think, once you hit the trail you will get a lot of movement. im worried it will hit the back of you rig.

I really like the angle complementing the pillar. The spare on the other side is gonna make it look real good.
I notice the cable/lock. Couple of other suggestions for security:

You can drill one of your holes big enough for a small Master Lock
DSC00082-1.jpg

or something I always liked but didn't have the means to make a receiving sleeve for, a BMW locking lug
BMWWheelLock.jpg

Just food for thought. Anxious to see the finished product.
:lurk:

The pictures that you posted are down atm, but I am excited to see what they are because the cable is just temporary. I should have left the rear mounting plate a little longer to be able to use a lock through the hi-lift hole and the bracket.

Thanks for the ideas I am always open for others thoughts. :victory:

I think I would secure the base of the high lift

nice work , i was wondering what kind of welding machine are you using?

You would probably would cringe if I posted ;)

Very nice I'll take one too!

:wings:

Bumper%20Build%20013.jpg

If he's using the one on the bench, that's the same kind of welder that I used to build the bumper and flat bed on my previous Toy as well as everything on my 4runner. It's lasted surprising well for what it costs. Good job on the bumper by the way

You got it ;) I am damn impressed with the little guy. Takes a little getting used too but once you got it down it will lay a nice strong bead. I did use a 220v Lincoln to burn the bumper to the mounting plates and the hoops to the bumper. 90% of the bumper was built with the little guy.

Very nice, that upright design is something I've never thought of.

Thank you, it has taken me about eight weekends to build what you see in the pictures and of those eight weekends I would say only two welding. I took a lot of thought, mounting things with C-clamps and checking and thinking some more.

That's a great idea. I was wondering how I could accomplish the same thing (drilling a hole in a bolt to better secure it) but thought I was screwed without a drill press. By grinding it flat like that I could use my normal hand drill. Thanks for the idea!

I actually drilled those holes with my hand drill, used my angle grinder to make a flat part in the bolt and they drilled like butter.

sweet bumper, the clearence is a little close dont you think, once you hit the trail you will get a lot of movement. im worried it will hit the back of you rig.

The pictures are a little hard to tell but the hi-lift sits about 2-3" from the body of the rig.

Thanks everyone for all of the great comments and feedback, I was a little hesitant to post up pictures and the build just not knowing what others would say, but I am very happy with how it is progressing. More pictures to follow as I complete it.

Chris

DirtyOregonKid

Nice work, this is going into my file for when I build my bumper!

One question though... Is the tire going to cover up that PedoBear sticker?

Nice work, this is going into my file for when I build my bumper!

One question though... Is the tire going to cover up that PedoBear sticker?

Thanks,

Don't worry the Pedo bear will not be covered up by the tire. The tire is actually going to mount on the same side as the hi-lift, working on that and hopefully finishing that up tomorrow. The passenger side will also have a swing out that will house dual Jerry cans, or a cooler mount.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg