LifterCatcher's rear high clearance swing out bumper build

Magnum Johnson

Observer
I really like the design of your bumper!! I hope you don't mind me making one similar to it. Is the tubing your using just mild steel or is it something special?

It is amazing how much money you can save fabricating up your own stuff :)

So TRUE! It's also a lot of fun being able to build it yourself. Sitting thinking and then thinking some more to make sure everything that you cut or weld will actually function.

I have had several people ask me where I bought the bumper from and nothing beats telling them that I built it :victory:

I really like the design of your bumper!! I hope you don't mind me making one similar to it. Is the tubing your using just mild steel or is it something special?

Nope not at all, that Is why I made this post use the design all you want, build away. The tubing is just 1-3/4" 190 wall plenty stout:victory:

Well I was able to make some more progress on the bumper and got the tire carrier mounted up. I still need to add some gussets (overkill) but for the most part its done. I also wheeled the the truck for the first time with the new rear bumper in the Ouchita National Forrest over the week and it did great.

Onto the pics :sombrero:

I have to put a plug out there for A to Z Fabrication, I looked all over the place for a tire mounting plate that I could use to mount up my spare tire. I thought about making one but AtoZ has them cheaper than I could build one. I placed my order and within three days the plate made it to my door. Totally my bad but I ordered the wrong plate, I ordered a 5 lug plate and my truck is 6 lug. I called AtoZ and Zach (the owner) took my call, I explained my mess up and he shipped me out a new 6 lug plate without getting the 5 lug plate back first :wings: now that is customer service!

Expeditions%20057.jpg

Here is the plate mounted up. ATM I only have three wheel studs, I bought all that the auto parts store had :coffee: I will add another wheel stud this week.

Expeditions%20060.jpg

The plate has a slight angle to it allowing the tire to clear the hi-lift. I left about 3-4" of extra room so I can mount a 33" spare. The tire that is mounted now is just a all terrain spare. I will also add gussets to the plate and the support bar.

I love it!

Expeditions%20064.jpg

Expeditions%20065.jpg

I will have to relocate the license plate but that's no biggie. This week I will be placing my order for a 2nd hing kit and will start on the passenger side swing out.

My plans are to build a removable system that will allow me to pack/take what I will need for any given trip. Dual Jerry can mounts for one setup, a cooler swing out for another setup. The ideas are endless.

Stay tuned..........

Chris

zachv

Chris, I just came upon your thread after joining this site. I am looking into overlanding and this site seems like an amazing resource. Thanks for mentioning our company and I hope you have had some fun with that rig.

Zach
AtoZ Fabrication
http://www.atozfabrication.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg