Like A Moth To The Flame- My New LR3

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Viggen:
One thing I have learned in my 50 years is "never say, ... never!"
Jeep's towing capacity doesn't really change even if you have a Hemi installed in the Wrangler. It is an overall limitation of the chassis size, and safety protocol.
Because a jeep is an AEV doesn't mean it has a V8 installed. (mine did not). It also doesn't mean the transmission is any stronger or brakes any better. I did however, have upgraded axles. But that still doesn't change the towing capacity.
With a towing capacity of 7618 pounds, the LR3 will not even know there is a trailer behind it.
And finally, did you read the title of this thread? (Like a moth to the flame!) :)
Thanks
D

Didnt you say you would never go back.

Also, why is the Jeep only 3500 lbs? Its AEV so didnt you get a V8, better trans, axles and brakes?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Viggen:
One thing I have learned in my 50 years is "never say, ... never!"
Jeep's towing capacity doesn't really change even if you have a Hemi installed in the Wrangler. It is an overall limitation of the chassis size, and safety protocol.
Because a jeep is an AEV doesn't mean it has a V8 installed. (mine did not). It also doesn't mean the transmission is any stronger or brakes any better. I did however, have upgraded axles. But that still doesn't change the towing capacity.
With a towing capacity of 7618 pounds, the LR3 will not even know there is a trailer behind it.
And finally, did you read the title of this thread? (Like a moth to the flame!) :)
Thanks
D

Yes. A good tow vehicle has some weight to it, as the LR3/4 does, and shouldn't have too high a center of gravity, again a nice trait of the LR3/4 with it's adjustable ride/height. The Jeep on the other hand has a much higher center of gravity and, as you say is too lightly built for heavy work.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I did warn you that the Jeep wouldn't be a good towpig, didn't I?

BTW, the Hemi JKs have a different trans and town quite well.
Your problem was mostly the trans, not the engine, wheelbase, or gears. Miserable trans in the autobox 3.8L JKs; no way to tune or tweak them to tow.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill: I am looking for a cowbell for the truck!
Thanks
D
Tractor Supply has a nice understated one that won't diminish the classiness of the truck.
Don't get the Harbor Freight; doesn't sound right. The cows can tell the difference and will mock you mercilessly on their web forum...

...wink wink...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Bill- you sure you aren't from Marshville?? I thought that was jargon amongst the local beef!!

Doc- there is a set of those on Ebay in Dillon, Co, but he won't ship- Tim could probably snag them and get them to you, as they are cheap for tires/wheels... what color is yours? Did you flip that LC from last year? Hope all is well...

Sorry Dendy, didn't mean to hijack :-(

draaronr

Adventurer
Doc- there is a set of those on Ebay in Dillon, Co, but he won't ship- Tim could probably snag them and get them to you, as they are cheap for tires/wheels... what color is yours? Did you flip that LC from last year? Hope all is well...
-(

I had the LC maybe 3 weeks, I am rover all the way through, Mine is Stornoway. Set of what tires?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Aaron:
There was an ebay'r trying to sell as set of the 265/65 R18's on ebay with the 18" wheels, and originally he was asking $1200 with no shipping. He has now changed it to $1800 shipped - which is not a good deal seeing I can buy the same tire locally mounted for $265.00 (this was a set of 4 tires/wheels- with a couple thousand miles on them).

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal