LJ rear bumper

Fahrenheit351

A fellow Jeeper and I finally started to put a bumper together (okay he's doing most of the work....) for my 2005 LJ. We test fit it today and the only reason we didn't get it finished is we ran out of shielding gas :mad: We're hoping to get it done in time for our trip on the Dusy-Ershim trail next weekend.

Attachments

• rear bumper test fit bare 2.jpg
    rear bumper test fit bare 2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 59
  • rear bumper test fit extension closeup.jpg
    rear bumper test fit extension closeup.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 51
  • rear bumper test fit 1.jpg
    rear bumper test fit 1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 55
  • rear bumper test fit side.jpg
    rear bumper test fit side.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Looks a little deep. The LJ will drag it's butt quite often on a trail like the Dusy, even more so with a long overhang of a bumper. Do you have a body lift? If not, it might be a good idea so that you have a bit more space between the bottom of the tub and the "wings" of your bumper where it returns into the wheel well. Otherwise, the workmanship looks top notch, and Hellastout.

Fahrenheit351

Thanks Guys.

We have plans to put two Blitz cans on either side of center and a high lift bracket and shovel in the middle in front of the spare tire. Thats why it's angled off the back a bit. Eventually I'm going to buy the Rotopax system to replace the jerry cans.

We debated on the wings and how close they were to the body as well. As you said this bumper has some serious beef to it so we determined it was going to take a heck of a hit.....we may look at that again. I'm more worried about it getting pushed in towards the frame than I am about it going up into the body. The steel tubing and the way it's mounted to the frame is pretty stout for it to bend up.......(hope i didn't just jinx myself). I'll keep an eye out how bad i'm dragging ***....

As for Dusy when I originally bought the Jeep in May the intent was to hit all the local California "rock" trails (The Hammers, Calico, etc). As i've talked to more crawlers the more I realize that is not how I really want to spend my money. Then I found this site and idea of exploration sounds much more appealing and satisfying. So the Jeep's plan has taken a turn to the expedition vehicle direction. This is almost a nubie run as I have only done a couple other trails (Miller and 111) so we are going to take it easy, run up to the lake, do some camping, and then decide how bad we want to "test" the LJ.

As this is our first try at this so please keep the comments coming. Suggestions and ideas are always welcomed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• rear bumper test fit swing away hub.jpg
    rear bumper test fit swing away hub.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 24
  • rear bumper underside.jpg
    rear bumper underside.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 29
  • rear bumper test fit bare 1.jpg
    rear bumper test fit bare 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 23
  • rear bumper underside bracket.jpg
    rear bumper underside bracket.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Calico is very doable in a mildly built Jeep, and has a lot of cool mines and history to check out. I highly recommend it. The Hammers is an altogether different sort of thing, and you would regret going without a much bigger rig. I'm a little concerned with your plans for Dusy with the rig in the photos. Are you locked? Do you have any sort of plans to install rock sliders? Heavy duty steering? I also highly recommend the Jawbone area, particularly Nightmare Gulch and Last Chance Canyon. Its a bit south of you, but not too far.

Fahrenheit351

nwoods-thanks for the concerns and the heads up. I honestly don't think we will get past the resevoir-I honestly don't think I'm gonna try in the LJ. I'll go with my friend in his Rubi once we make camp. I'll be sure to put Jawbone and Calico on the to do list.

mmmlafayette-LOL. Thats why the rear tires are off......trim to fit.

bob91yj

Resident **************
You're going to have an issue with the side rails hitting the tub just from body/frame flex IMO. As an example, the HID's on my front bumper have an easy 1/2" of clearance between the light and the front fender, still the back of the light hits the fender when the Jeep is flexed.

As far as the Dusy, a driver with moderate experience can get through it with a rear locker and lots of armor and 33's as long as he has a buddy along with a tow strap, two lockers and 35's will make the trip much more pleasant. I've run the Dusy a couple of times, a buddy of mine and I knocked the Dusy out in less than 9 hours a couple of years back, it's ususally considered a 2-3 day trip.

Last edited:

Fahrenheit351

Okay bumper is done and on. Dusy was a no go as there was 9" of snow at the reservoir. So we just camped and fished the res. for two days....

Rear bumper closed 2.jpgRear bumper closed 1.JPG002 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 001 (7).jpg
    001 (7).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21

squint

Adventurer
Looks really good. Its nice to see someone use some creativity and do something different. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy