Load range E on a tacoma?

BajaSurfRig

So I am running stock Toyota alloy 15x7 rims on my Tacoma, and plan on sticking with the stock size of 31x10.5x15 but am looking for load rand D or E and can't seem to find anyone that has them in that size. Does anyone have any recommendations?

p nut

butter
So I am running stock Toyota alloy 15x7 rims on my Tacoma, and plan on sticking with the stock size of 31x10.5x15 but am looking for load rand D or E and can't seem to find anyone that has them in that size. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just curious why you're going out of your way to get LR D/E? LR C is plenty for your truck.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
I won't run anything but E rated tires on my Tacoma. Right now I'm running 255/85-16s at about 35 psi. In such a tall profile tire, the extra stiffness makes them steer and track really well. I have found E rated tires just about bombproof on this truck. They also seem to wear really well. No plans to ever switch.

Same setup here. Compared to the Duratracs I used to run these 255/85-16 Cooper ST Maxx's are a dream. Quiet, wearing slowly, and tough as nails. No plans to ever switch either.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just curious why you're going out of your way to get LR D/E? LR C is plenty for your truck.
I was thinking that, too. I'm a definite 'E' advocate but not sure I would necessarily skip or be worried about a 'C' or 'D' LT tire if it was available.

andrew61987

Observer
I run E because I wanted Cooper ST Maxx and C was not offered in my size (235/85). I would have gotten C if it was available but tire choice was more important to me than load range. They ride a bit rougher but I can deal.

BajaSurfRig

P Nut, Maybe it is just the tires (General Grabbers AT2 load range C) that I am running right now and not the load range but I have had two sidewall punctures in 10,000 miles and don't want to have to continue to deal with it. I imagine that load range d or e would help mitigate the sidewall puncture issues I have been dealing with was my thought process in asking about higher load range in that size. My rig is heavy for a Tacoma with the Callen and all of my gear, water and extra gas especially at the beginning of a trip. Looking forward to hear what you guys think. Am I just getting crazy unlucky with these tires?

BajaSurfRig

No worries didn't mean to come off grumpy about the tire question haha. Dave I can't seem to find any tires in the size I need with a higher load capacity. Does anyone know of some good load range d or e tires in 31x10.50x15?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Couldn't say I'm aware of any. I always ran BFG AT and MT tires on my '91 with 15x7 factory rims and was very happy with them. Those are range 'C' in 30x9.50 and 33x10.50, though I never felt vulnerable with them.

p nut

butter
P Nut, Maybe it is just the tires (General Grabbers AT2 load range C) that I am running right now and not the load range but I have had two sidewall punctures in 10,000 miles and don't want to have to continue to deal with it. I imagine that load range d or e would help mitigate the sidewall puncture issues I have been dealing with was my thought process in asking about higher load range in that size. My rig is heavy for a Tacoma with the Callen and all of my gear, water and extra gas especially at the beginning of a trip. Looking forward to hear what you guys think. Am I just getting crazy unlucky with these tires?

On my old Tacoma, I ran BFG KM's in that exact size. LR C, I believe it was. I took it on some pretty rough trails (Moab, and other places in Utah). Zero issues with them. I'm not familiar with General, as I've never ran them. But I can attest to BFG's stoutness (adding to DiD's comment above). Not saying they're infallible, but they definitely stand up to the abuse in my experience.

That said, if you're really wanting LR E, I can't seem to find any tires in that size. Maybe you can find some cheap 16" Tacoma/4Runner rims on CL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater