Locker Rear End Question- Complete '94 Into a '99?

nckwltn

Explorer
you will want to swap the pinion flange from your 1999 onto the 1994 rear diff. It's easy but be sure to torque the pinion flange to spec (way up there). You may get lucky and it's a late model '94 with the smaller pinion flange and it'll just work but I wouldn't count on it.

cool, thanks! I think it's 150 ft lbs (or something in that neighborhood)

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Thanks nckwltn! So you opted to just pull the 3rd member instead of the whole rear end. I was thinking I'd have to get it set up again, but you should be right about it being fine as an assembles gear unit. I guess for the front I'll take as much as I have rom for.

Does the locker assembly come out when you pull the 3rd member? I have never dealt with a locker before and have no idea what they look like.

nckwltn

Explorer
Does the locker assembly come out when you pull the 3rd member? I have never dealt with a locker before and have no idea what they look like.

the locker is fully contained within the differential gearing. pull it as one unit (like what you see in my picture) and it will have the locker included.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If you swap the 3rd member into a truck that didn't originally come with a locker you will need the short side axle shaft, one axle shaft is much shorter on trucks equipped with a locker.

I used these switched to install factory locking axles into trucks that didn't originally come with them

main-800x600.JPG

DSCF0406.jpg

you can wire up the detent to light up the lower light when the locker is fully engaged.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Mine has the factory locker setup already. Off to Pick n Pull right now for new gears!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad