"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

stioc

Expedition Leader
I have lots of catch up here but agree with others, your pics suck me in for days of reading and dreaming of similar trips. But this one right here is pretty much my future retirement property:

26630699192_746d5ee96f_b.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have lots of catch up here but agree with others, your pics suck me in for days of reading and dreaming of similar trips. But this one right here is pretty much my future retirement property:

Haha that sure is a beautiful place. Glad to know you're still reading. I'm having a lot of fun on these adventures!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Alright guys, time for a rapid-fire catch-up. I've had a lot happen recently, and there's one trip I especially can't wait to write about.

So, first up is my trip to Yellowstone a few months ago. Beret and I had discussed wanting to go into the park for a day to see some of the sights. We could make it a day trip, seeing as how we only live about 2 hours away. So one day we packed up and headed for the park. Despite Beret having developed a lateral ankle sprain at work and being stuck in a boot, she insisted we carry out our plan to visit. Driving west towards Bozeman, we swung off I90 at Livingston and headed south through the aptly-named Paradise Valley. We passed one of our favorite hangouts at Chico Hot Springs, and continued south to the town of Gardiner.

We pulled into Gardiner and surveyed the city. I've never been to Gardiner before, and I was pleasantly surprised. This small town is all about Yellowstone and catering to the guests staying near the park. As such, there's plenty of little shops and great places to eat.

Near the park entrance, we walked around some of the shops and checked out what there was to see. When we had our fill, we stopped by the visitor's center and bought a pass before continuing on into Yellowstone.

Our first stop was at Mammoth Hot Springs. Since we've seen most of them, and due to Beret's injured foot, we only stopped nearby to snap some photos of the steam rising from the formations into the dark clouds.

It was a pretty cool sight to see. Next on the list was overlooking the majestic Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and the falls there. Of course, on our way, we were slowed by the ever-present bison.

Shortly before lunchtime, we hit the canyon. We were eager to get out and get a look, and we were rewarded with one heck of a vista. I always forget how beautiful Yellowstone can be.

Just before going out to look over the falls, we stopped and had a spot of lunch. Pro tip: when planning for eating out on a day trip, think about a Mountain House meal. They're pretty inexpensive for what you get, hearty, nutritious, and very tasty. Plus they (plus a JetBoil and some water) take up very little space, weigh almost nothing, and cook very quickly. Anyway, we had a chicken teryaki Mountain House meal. Delicious!

Sated from lunch, we headed out to look over the falls. What an awesome sight.

On our way out, we spotted this lone coyote scoping out the viewing area. He was annoyed, but mostly unfazed by our presence.

On our way down towards Yellowstone Lake, we stopped at a few hot springs to take some pictures and see the sights. It's so rare we go into tourist mode, and sometimes it's fun.

At one of these stops, we ran into this French couple overlanding their Nissan Patrol across North America. Very cool rig, and very nice people!

We continued checking out some of the more easily accessible hot springs, including the Mud Volcano and Drangon's Throat.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
After checking these out, we kept going south to Yellowstone Lake. Unfortunately, our plan was to go down to the West Thumb geyser basin, but that plan was foiled due to the fact that the roads weren't open quite yet. Rats! Either way, Yellowstone Lake is always pretty.

Since our plan to visit West Thumb had been foiled, we headed back up north, stopping at the Artist's Paint Pots to walk the trail.

We really liked checking this place out. On our last push out of the park, we decided we needed to see the Midway Geyser Basin, as our favorite feature in the park, Grand Prismatic Hot Spring, resides there.

Grand Prismatic was as colorful as ever.

After that, it was time for us to depart. We hopped back into the truck and drove back into Gardiner. Deciding we wanted to eat there, we stopped off at the Iron Horse Bar and Grille. If you ever come through Gardiner, you have to eat here. It's amazing.

Our bellies full, we loaded back up and headed for home, happy with the day's achievements.

WEK207

This thread and your truck are why I finally signed up for this forum. Been lurking for a while, hoping to have my rig setup and get a thread going like this someday.

Cheers!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great work with the camera!

Thanks! I need to use it some more, I'm starting to get a bit rusty.

wonderful pics as always! looks like a great trip!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

This thread and your truck are why I finally signed up for this forum. Been lurking for a while, hoping to have my rig setup and get a thread going like this someday.

Cheers!

Ah man I love hearing that. That's so awesome. I'd love to see some pics of your truck. Glad I could have a hand in getting you inspired to get out and explore!

jstevens05

Great stuff here man! It took me a few days to read through the whole thread. I posted a topic over in the NW section asking for some advice on some spots to hit on a family reunion trip to MT at the end of the month and someone there told me to look you up. I was not at all dissapointed by what I found!

We're from Missouri but will be departing from Illinois after meeting with some family up towards chicago. We're heading west through Rapid City and going through Bear Country. From there we will be entering Yellowstone from Cody and spending about a day making out way through a yellowstone and exiting through the north near Gardiner. From there we will be spending a day at one of the wife's cousins house nearby and after that heading to Libby, MT for the better part of a week.

Her family has quite a few hikes, rafting, and other activities planned for most of the time we are there, but we will have some free time on a few days and was hoping to go hit some forest roads and trails. I have a very new to me (like I just got it titled and plated earlier today) 2011 Xterra pro-4x. It's bone stock as far as performance goes so I can't tackle anything too crazy and don't want to risk breaking anything major or getting stuck because we will likely be solo on the trail. Just hoping to get the truck a little dirty and see some remote places.

Do you have any experience near Libby or any advice? I read through the tread and didn't see any trip reports in that area but still thought I would ask.

Also, I saw some of your reports around yellowstone, any advice through there for first timers who wouldn't mind getting away from the really touristy spots?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great stuff here man! It took me a few days to read through the whole thread. I posted a topic over in the NW section asking for some advice on some spots to hit on a family reunion trip to MT at the end of the month and someone there told me to look you up. I was not at all dissapointed by what I found!

We're from Missouri but will be departing from Illinois after meeting with some family up towards chicago. We're heading west through Rapid City and going through Bear Country. From there we will be entering Yellowstone from Cody and spending about a day making out way through a yellowstone and exiting through the north near Gardiner. From there we will be spending a day at one of the wife's cousins house nearby and after that heading to Libby, MT for the better part of a week.

Her family has quite a few hikes, rafting, and other activities planned for most of the time we are there, but we will have some free time on a few days and was hoping to go hit some forest roads and trails. I have a very new to me (like I just got it titled and plated earlier today) 2011 Xterra pro-4x. It's bone stock as far as performance goes so I can't tackle anything too crazy and don't want to risk breaking anything major or getting stuck because we will likely be solo on the trail. Just hoping to get the truck a little dirty and see some remote places.

Do you have any experience near Libby or any advice? I read through the tread and didn't see any trip reports in that area but still thought I would ask.

Also, I saw some of your reports around yellowstone, any advice through there for first timers who wouldn't mind getting away from the really touristy spots?

Hey man thanks! Glad somebody pointed you over this way. I am (I guess) Mr. Montana on this site. Or so I'm told. :D

Sounds like a fun trip! Okay, here's my advice I can think of off the top of my head...

As for Yellowstone, take my advice and avoid Old Faithful unless your family is dead set on it. Yeah it's kind of cool, but there's a billion people there all waiting for some water to shoot out of the ground. There are many better places to go in the park. My favorites:

- Midway Geyser Basin (Grand Prismatic is phenomenal. There's a hike that gets you a high vantage point of it I think.)
- West Thumb Geyser Basin
- Mammoth Hot Springs
- Norris Geyser Basin
- Firehole River Canyon
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Tower Fall
- The Lamar Valley

If you can swing it, I'd really super highly recommend going up to Red Lodge and taking the Beartooth Pass to Cooke City. Yeah, the Chief Joseph Highway is pretty, but it really pales in comparison to the Beartooths. It's a really amazing drive that I wouldn't miss while you're in the area. The scenery is breathtaking. Since you're already going in through Cooke, take an hour or two to run up north above the town and do Daisy Pass and Lulu Pass. The scenery up there is unbeatable, with dozens of peaks above 10k feet in the area. Plus there's a ton of old mining stuff littering the mountains and passes up there. It's one of my can't miss routes in this part of the state. I'll make up a map for you of my recommended route for a stock X. I'd run this stuff and then make your way into the park.

From Cooke City/Silver Gate, you'll cross into the Lamar Valley, where if you don't see a ton of wildlife, your eyes are closed. From there, turn left at Tower Junction and make a quick stop to see Tower Fall. Then make sure to hit the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone as the views are awesome. From there, you can either pop straight over to Norris or head south to the shores of Yellowstone Lake. If you head to the lake, head to West Thumb as the pools, geysers, and springs are awesome. From there, head west towards Old Faithful. Like I said, I'd avoid it unless it's a bucket list kind of thing. Past there, head north and stop at Norris. From Norris, go north to Mammoth and be sure to really investigate Mammoth. That's one of my favorite areas of the park. From there, you can pull north into Gardiner.

In Gardiner, definitely eat at the Iron Horse Bar. It's really nondescript, in a big warehouse looking building on the south side of the river. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is very Montana. I really can't recommend it enough.

From Gardiner, you'll be heading north through Paradise Valley. If you have some time here, take my advice and spend an afternoon at Chico Hot Springs near Emigrant. The pools there are so relaxing, and it's such a cool little place. The Poolside Grille is a good place to grab a bite, and the main restaurant at the resort is one of the best restaurants in the state. If you have even more time, there's a couple backroads outside Chico that are fun to explore. Plus, how can you beat a walk-up bar where you can get local beer while you're relaxing in the pool?

North of there you'll hit Livingston. There's a ton of amazing stuff there, it's tough to know where to start. There's two breweries there, Katabatic and Neptune's. Katabatic has great beer and is across the street from a great coffeehouse that makes their own coffee. Farther down the street is Mark's In-and-Out Burger, which is the perfect little place to get an amazing classic American burger. It's been there for over 60 years, and the food is to die for. Plus the prices are rock bottom. Past that a little ways is Neptune's Brewery, which has awesome beers and equally awesome food. It's my other favorite place in Livingston. There's a ton of little shops and places to check out downtown too if you have the time.

Now as far as Libby, I'm not super familiar with the area around there, but you're only a hop, skip, and a jump away from some of my favorite areas in NW Montana. You're not far from Glacier, which I would certainly check out if you get the chance. Even if you only run over Going-to-the-Sun Road, it's a worthwhile place to check out. The scenery is awesome.

Closer to Libby is Whitefish and Bigfork. I'd very highly recommend going to Whitefish. My favorite brewery is there, and there's a ton of little places to check out in town. It's a great place to spend an afternoon walking around. There's a ton of shops and restaurants to look into. A little farther south is Bigfork, which is a cool place too. They also have a great brewery, which has good food and a great view of Flathead Lake. The downtown shops are also has great little places to check out. If you don't eat at the brewery, Grille 459 downtown is great too.

If you can spare a whole day, I'd really suggest making your way farther south from Bigfork and go into the Swan Valley. This is such a great area. There's a ton of forest roads lacing through the the valley, and they're all worth checking out. My favorite is the Richmond Ridge route north of Seeley Lake. I can make you a map if you like. There's also Holland Lake, which is really pretty and has a great lodge, and Condon, which has a bunch of history in the surrounding forest. Then there's Seeley Lake, which is very near and dear to my heart. I know most of the roads outside Seeley, as well as most of the stuff to do in town. If you're interested in going that far (about three hours), I can provide you with more info.

I really hope all that helps. If there's something you'd like to know more about, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

jstevens05

Thanks a ton for such a detailed reply! I've spent a few hours looking up some of the locations you suggested lol. They all look amazing! We will have 2 kids with us so we'll have to skip most of the brewerys unfortunately but we might be able to check a few out after dropping the boys off with grandma in Libby.

I did have a question about Lulu and daisy pass. Google brings them up as snow mobile trails. I guess they are used by trucks as well? How long would one or both take?

Thanks again for all of the advice.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks a ton for such a detailed reply! I've spent a few hours looking up some of the locations you suggested lol. They all look amazing! We will have 2 kids with us so we'll have to skip most of the brewerys unfortunately but we might be able to check a few out after dropping the boys off with grandma in Libby.

I did have a question about Lulu and daisy pass. Google brings them up as snow mobile trails. I guess they are used by trucks as well? How long would one or both take?

Thanks again for all of the advice.

The breweries are kid-friendly if you still want to, just FYI.

Also, I forgot to tell you to make sure to take the drive along the Firehole River in Yellowstone when you see the turn off for it. It's a must-do. Such a cool area, very pretty, and there's a river that you can swim in that's fed by a hot spring, so it's warm year-round. definitely check that out.

Yes, Daisy and Lulu are both able to be used as a vehicle route in the summer. I was up there last week. :D To do the whole loop I suggest shouldn't take more than two hours at the absolute maximum. More like 1:30. PM me your email and I'll send you a map I made of the route I'd suggest.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Okay, time for the trip report I've been excited for!

As some of you may know, BijanJames and I had made plans for me to show them around some places near me, as they were coming up from Colorado to visit Montana, where they'll be moving next year. Bijan and I sent some PMs back and forth figuring out when and where we wanted to go. Originally, we were going to try and do Morrison Jeep Trail, but they were coming up over the 4th and Morrison opens on the 15th. So we explored some other options. One of my favorite places is the Beartooth Mountains, where I spend a lot of my time. I figured we could do the route north of Cooke City, do some of the tougher sections, then drop down to the highway and go through Yellowstone on our way to Gardiner. From there, we could go up into Livingston and take the dirt backroad to McLeod. We could then turn left at McLeod and follow the Boulder River north to a camp spot. Then on the 4th we could go up my favorite trail, Independence. The plan was pretty solid, so I waited patiently for the day I went to see Bijan and his wife.

On the night of the 2nd, I packed all my stuff into the truck to get ready. On the morning of the 3rd, I woke up early to strap the tent on my truck and fill the fridge. I kissed my fiance goodbye, and headed toward Red Lodge.

Bijan had made it to Red Lodge the day before and called me to arrange a meeting place. I told him roughly where to go and what time. We arranged to meet at a parking area around 9 AM and head over the Beartooth Highway from there. On the way to Red Lodge, I was delayed about 20 minutes due to a bad car accident, but managed to make up a bit of time and cruised through Red Lodge at about 9:05, meeting up with them at about 9:20. Meeting them was awesome. They're super nice, friendly people who obviously share a great love of the outdoors. Introductions were made, and having made friends, we started up the Pass.

Our drive over the Beartooth Pass was uneventful. We stopped at a couple of my favorite viewpoints, and the summit of the highway at 10,947 feet. They were loving the scenery, and we were happily chatting on the CB the whole way into town. Having conquered the Highway and gotten to know each other better, we rolled into Cooke City to fill up.

After topping off, we aired down and headed up into the mountains. The views were awesome, and it was a beautiful day.

This route above Cooke is a fun one, full of mild off roading and great views. It's one of my favorite day trips. Bijan's truck was looking absolutely awesome cruising around out in the mountains.

We rolled down the rocky sections and made a quick crossing of Miller Creek before climbing up towards the unbelievably picturesque Daisy Pass.

Passing an old miner's cabin, we followed the route up a steep climb and past some snow, where we had our first view from Daisy Pass.

Daisy is a special place to me. The views are incredible, and it's very close to some really spectacular trails that go to some really amazing places.

Having taken in the sights, we followed the road around, moving past Lulu Pass and avoiding some lingering snow. Coming down the rocky switchbacks from Lulu Pass, we turned up a rocky climb and headed deeper into the mountains. The road here gets very rough and rocky, and eventually makes it's way down to an old mining cabin in a sheltered basin. I suggested we stop and have lunch here, so we parked the trucks and pulled out the food.

The conversation turned the way it always does with overlanders. Talking about trucks, places we've been, places we want to go. Bijan has a lovely little family, and they really are some tremendous people to spend time with. During our lunch, we heard mysterious gunfire in the nearby mountains. We figured it was just a couple people doing some target practice. We continued our camaraderie and I told them I had a special plan for the day: taking them over to the Sheep Mountain trail, where the road climbs to an overlook nestled on Sheep Mountain, very close to the top. A short hike would take us to the top, where an awesome view would await us. They loved the idea, so we set off.

On the way there, we discovered the source of the gunshots. A couple young guys in a Suburban were coming down the road. The Suburban had a gigantic gunshot hole in the front fender. I didn't ask.

Passing the hillbillies, we made our way up towards the mountain, but a storm was rolling in. We made our way to the rock steps before we started seeing lighting strike the mountaintops within 5 miles of us. Deciding that was a bit much, we turned around and headed back down, my plain foiled. We slowly made our way to the highway, through a thunderous rain and a bit of hail, where we aired up and headed towards Yellowstone. I was pretty bummed that my plan had fallen apart like that, but no matter.

Getting into the park took longer than expected, but we finally made it. We were hampered a bit by slow traffic, the inevitable bison in the road, and more heavy rain. Eventually, we made it over to Gardiner, where we headed north through Paradise Valley towards Livingston. Just north of Gardiner, we ran into a road block. They guy working it said we had to take the detour through Emigrant, because there was a major accident. Turning over the the east side of the river, we made a quick rest stop before continuing. I'll admit, I was pretty frustrated with the way our day had gone. Bijan seemed pretty about the day though, so I was glad about that.

We made our way through Paradise Valley and into Livingston, where we stopped to gas up before heading into the Boulder River valley. The gas station was jam-packed, so it was going to take longer than expected. I had to buy some batteries anyway, so I stopped and went into the convenience store and bought some. Then I made my way to the only open gas pump to fill up. With a full fuel tank, we headed through Livingston, a bit later than I had wanted.

As we drove through Livingston, we chatted about where we were and where we were going. I told them some of my favorite spots, and eventually we passed the last gas station headed out of town. I saw a really nice looking old 60 series Cruiser that I vaguely thought I recognized but didn't think much of it. Until I looked over at the pump, and I saw something that made me swerve into the gas station parking lot.

To be continued.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk