"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
You can get a chance to check out the Lokka. Best mod ever so far, but I have yet to use it for a full winter. But winter is coming right now.

jhberria

Adventurer
Yeah, Bijan and I have been planning on doing it next year. When we met up this summer, we decided next year after he got moved out to Bozeman would be the perfect time to do it. I've also got at least one other ExPo member from my neck of the woods (MTaco) who wants to do it, as well as a couple local friends. We're planning on Morrison and Goose Lake during the same trip as of right now. Should be a cool run. I'd love to persuade you to finally get your ******** out this way too. I'll bring beer. :sombrero:

This sounds like something that could use, dare I says NEEDS, my involvement. I've been dieing for an excuse to see Montana.

No need to verbalize the fact that you're bringing the beer, Tom. That goes without saying :coffee:

MNCarl

The Moose
What about the Moose?
Can he tag along?
4fee75fb-0455-47c8-b840-8c5aad95268c_zpsqowkphje.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Moose likes to get muddy
mudhole3_zpspxs6h5fu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If those "Expedition Overland" guys can go up those switchbacks with a overlanding trailer in tow a crew cab short bed should not be that bad.
Maybe a two or three point turn on some of the switchbacks.

Seriously though if you guys would not mind another vehicle/Nissan Frontier with a older regular type dude piloting , I might be able to do the Morrison Trail and Goose lake. Although it would take me probably a couple of days travel time from Minneapolis MN

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
You can get a chance to check out the Lokka. Best mod ever so far, but I have yet to use it for a full winter. But winter is coming right now.

That would be great. I'm really interested in how well it works.let me know about your thoughts during the winter.

This sounds like something that could use, dare I says NEEDS, my involvement. I've been dieing for an excuse to see Montana.

No need to verbalize the fact that you're bringing the beer, Tom. That goes without saying :coffee:

I'd agree, it needs your involvement. Montana is feeling neglected. :sombrero:

Whew..

Good. Still be intersting with a SB. Thats a fairly long truck as is yours to get up it. But just be patient, and you'll be fine. And if anything, call me if **** hits the fan lol

Haha yeah I remember reading your report when your dad drove up it in the FRV. Anything longer than my truck would not be fun that's for sure.

Are you still going to be in WY next summer? Thought you were off to CA already.

You know without a doubt you'd be the first guy I'd call up.

What about the Moose?
Can he tag along?

If those "Expedition Overland" guys can go up those switchbacks with a overlanding trailer in tow a crew cab short bed should not be that bad.

Seriously though if you guys would not mind another vehicle/Nissan Frontier with a older regular type dude piloting , I might be able to do the Morrison Trail and Goose lake. Although it would take me probably a couple of days travel time from Minneapolis MN

Carl,

Of course you can join in! I'm sure your truck would make it no problem. It would give you the opportunity to see some of the mountains we have in my neck of the woods. I guess I'll have to get on making that thread so we can all coordinate.

Oh by the way, if you want to do it in a day, Minneapolis to my house is a 12 hour drive. Totally doable in a day. We used to drive that every summer. Most of my family lives in St. Paul.

MTaco

Adventurer
Whew..

Good. Still be intersting with a SB. Thats a fairly long truck as is yours to get up it. But just be patient, and you'll be fine. And if anything, call me if **** hits the fan lol

I'm not too worried. I've done the trail before with my brother in his 99 Tacoma and there was only one spot that was a little sketchy. Wheel base is about the same.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
What about the Moose?
Can he tag along?
4fee75fb-0455-47c8-b840-8c5aad95268c_zpsqowkphje.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mudhole3_zpspxs6h5fu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No.. Be more then just two or three point turns and few. It's 3 on all of them and sometimes 5 points. Or more.

That would be great. I'm really interested in how well it works.let me know about your thoughts during the winter.

I'd agree, it needs your involvement. Montana is feeling neglected. :sombrero:

Haha yeah I remember reading your report when your dad drove up it in the FRV. Anything longer than my truck would not be fun that's for sure.

Are you still going to be in WY next summer? Thought you were off to CA already.

You know without a doubt you'd be the first guy I'd call up.

Carl,

Of course you can join in! I'm sure your truck would make it no problem. It would give you the opportunity to see some of the mountains we have in my neck of the woods. I guess I'll have to get on making that thread so we can all coordinate.

Oh by the way, if you want to do it in a day, Minneapolis to my house is a 12 hour drive. Totally doable in a day. We used to drive that every summer. Most of my family lives in St. Paul.

Yea idk. Have to wait and see haha

I'm not too worried. I've done the trail before with my brother in his 99 Tacoma and there was only one spot that was a little sketchy. Wheel base is about the same.

When was that? It's changed a lot in the last few years. Was a highway the first time I did. Not so much the second time.

MNCarl

The Moose
wreckdiver,
Hope you are doing well.
Question....
When you installed your winch did you ground wire the winch to the negative side of the battery or did run the ground wire of the winch to the frame somewhere?
I ask because I just read this:
Post #87 in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131672-Xterra-by-gophere/page9
Just saw you have the winch ground on the battery. Normally I would agree with that. And old school that is done correctly. But with Nissan's computer charge control you may find the battery not charging back up like it should. Look on the negative battery cable and there is an inductive current sensor. That monitors the charging of the battery. With the winch on the battery the heavy draw will look like a battery that is taking a charge too fast and the alternator will be throttled back. If you move the winch ground down to the other end of the factory ground cable (body or block ground bolt) the alternator won't be throttled back by the computer while winching.

Thanks in advance.
-Carl and The Moose

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
wreckdiver,
Hope you are doing well.
Question....
When you installed your winch did you ground wire the winch to the negative side of the battery or did run the ground wire of the winch to the frame somewhere?
I ask because I just read this:
Post #87 in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131672-Xterra-by-gophere/page9
Just saw you have the winch ground on the battery. Normally I would agree with that. And old school that is done correctly. But with Nissan's computer charge control you may find the battery not charging back up like it should. Look on the negative battery cable and there is an inductive current sensor. That monitors the charging of the battery. With the winch on the battery the heavy draw will look like a battery that is taking a charge too fast and the alternator will be throttled back. If you move the winch ground down to the other end of the factory ground cable (body or block ground bolt) the alternator won't be throttled back by the computer while winching.

Thanks in advance.
-Carl and The Moose

Carl,

I have my winch grounded to the battery. There's been some talk about the effect of having it there on Clubfrontier and some other places, and there's a good number of people who have their winches grounded to the battery. In my opinion, if you're not doing heavy, extended witching, then it really doesn't make much of a difference, at least in my case. I've done some moderate witching with this setup and have had zero issues. That being said, I have an Odyssey, so that probably helps quite a bit.

I have considered swapping it to a frame ground, and probably will do in the future. For now though, I don't have any trouble with the setup.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I have mine grounded to the battery. I do have a dual battery setup with a controller, but I've yet to notice any issues. I winched a few heavy pulls and it's always worked perfectly. She cranks over just fine in this cold winter weather too. I'm running a pair of Deka Intimidators.

Sent from the Mountains

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk