"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I pointed out a Pro-4X Frontier to my wife today, and she agreed it could be a possible replacement for the X a few years (and hundred thousand miles) down the road less travelled.

Sent from the Mountains

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Agreed. They like to over build them on the other side of the pond. Love japanese imports.

Lately..idk..but whatever haha

Seriously... I don't see myself buying anything other than a Japanese pickup in the forseeable future. This truck and the previous one have really shown me the light.

I pointed out a Pro-4X Frontier to my wife today, and she agreed it could be a possible replacement for the X a few years (and hundred thousand miles) down the road less travelled.

Sent from the Mountains

They're awesome platforms. I'm still crazy in love with mine after two and a half years.

JakeH

Adventurer
My wife is after me to trade up to a new 2017 titan. Sweet trucks but my Frontier still owes me at least another 100k, maybe 200!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
My wife is after me to trade up to a new 2017 titan. Sweet trucks but my Frontier still owes me at least another 100k, maybe 200!

My wife and I talked about it, and I will never move up to a full size. For the places we go it's just too big and too long. They're cool trucks, especially the new P4X, but I have really grown to love the midsize platform. Haha we've actually decided that when our tribe gets bigger, we'll skip the fullsize rig and instead buy and mod her a late model 4Runner. That way she can wheel too. :cool:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Cabin filter - check!

Cant believe how dirty it was. Going to have to swap that out more often.

Also, I ordered and received my reverse lights for the back bumper. Couldn't pass it up at only $17 shipped.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I was having the same problem on my Avalanche, replaced the O2 sensors first, as I was only getting the Cat code for one cat. I replaced the sensor after the cat and the codes stop. Voltage was good on that sensor as well, but thought starting there made sense as my experience in the past is always better fuel economy and power after replacing 02 sensors. The only way the computer thinks there is a problem with the cat, is by the readings the downstream 02 sensor provide.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was having the same problem on my Avalanche, replaced the O2 sensors first, as I was only getting the Cat code for one cat. I replaced the sensor after the cat and the codes stop. Voltage was good on that sensor as well, but thought starting there made sense as my experience in the past is always better fuel economy and power after replacing 02 sensors. The only way the computer thinks there is a problem with the cat, is by the readings the downstream 02 sensor provide.

Yep, I considered that. The cats on these trucks are kind of notorious though. It's not so much the cats as the stupid Nissan ECU tuning. The cats can be operating at 95% efficiency and throw the code. After perusing the forums for several days, I've discovered that replacing the O2s, especially at this mileage, has about a 40% chance of making the codes go away. Besides, at 171k the cats are pretty much dead anyway I'm sure. Replacing them is just as much PM as it is getting rid of the codes. Some VQ40s have had a bad experience ingesting cat material back into the cylinders and wrecking the engine. It's more common on the Titan but it has happened on the Frontier/Xterra/Pathfinder. I'd rather get new ones so that doesn't happen, and if the codes persist I can always replace the downstream O2s, as they're not all that expensive.

Dmski

Adventurer
Hey Wreck, I was wondering if you are still running bypassed with the aux fan for your transmission or if you've replaced the radiator and gone back to the OEM configuration? Missed it if you did mention it? But if not I was wondering what cooler you went to and if you've had a temp gauge on the thing to verify? I'm bypassed with a small B&M cooler and derale fan and on long inclines in 4WD i'm still seeing uncomfortable temperatures occasionally.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
**** it.

Gut them and call it a day!

Haha I was really, really tempted to do just that. However, my wife and I are planning a move west after I get my degree, and every state west of here (Idaho, Washington, and Oregon) requires emissions testing. So with that in mind, I figured better safe than sorry.

Otherwise I would have gutted it already. :D

Hey Wreck, I was wondering if you are still running bypassed with the aux fan for your transmission or if you've replaced the radiator and gone back to the OEM configuration? Missed it if you did mention it? But if not I was wondering what cooler you went to and if you've had a temp gauge on the thing to verify? I'm bypassed with a small B&M cooler and derale fan and on long inclines in 4WD i'm still seeing uncomfortable temperatures occasionally.

Yes sir, I am still bypassed. I've considered going with the OEM rad setup, but I can't imagine that it would cool better than the setup I am using. I run a B&M cooler that's about the same size as the stock cooler, and a thermostatically switched fan. I forget which fan it is. I have not used a temp gage on it, but it has never misbehaved on me since I went to this setup. I drain and refill the fluid and replace the filter once a year. I'm pretty confident in the system, as there's people with similar setups with far higher mileage than me.

I try to go easy on the transmission too. I use 4lo for just about any trail duty save for certain snow situations. 4hi is for winter highways and dirt/gravel backroads.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
damn emissions crap..

I'd be suprised if there is anything even in Frank Cat..ha

Not looking forward to testing when and if i move either.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
damn emissions crap..

I'd be suprised if there is anything even in Frank Cat..ha

Not looking forward to testing when and if i move either.

Haha yeah it's kind of a pain. But I'm pretty sure Idaho and Washington both are OBDII test only states. They simply hook up an OBDII scanner to the car and make sure the emissions system is operating within spec. That's it.

Truck gets new cats tomorrow. I also gave her a bit of a pampering the other day. Vacuumed her, ArmorAlled the interior, and scrubbed the WeatherTechs clean after I replaced the cabin filters. The old ones were nasty. I might have to do that yearly from now on.

I also ordered some spare cam position sensors to keep in my OSK in case one decides to take a crap on me in the boonies. Fun stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach