Long term report on self spotting cameras

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Those of you who went to the Overland Expo might have seen Don drive his rig Wikid around the closed course with the windows completely covered using his 8 camera system. Our setup is only 4 cameras but it has seen some serious abuse so today as I was uninstalling the Total Vision Self Spotting System from the FJ Cruiser so we can transfer it to the new Sportsmobile it struck me as the perfect chance for a long term review.
The system has worked perfectly and is so simple that I often use just like any other part of the truck, radio, gps, cruise control. The only feature I haven't made much use of is the ability to record to the laptop hard drive. I am just not a video guy, but if you are, then I am sure YouTube will welcome your under rig shots.
totalvision-7.jpg

A quick overview of the system will set the stage for the long term perspective. Total Vision sent up Disabled Explorers with a 4 camera self spotting system that displays on our laptop. There are the front and rear bumper camera along with front and rear axle cameras. The system has a power switch and a rotating dial to choose your view. One thing I like about the rotating dial is that I can reach it easily even while using the Sure Grip hand control. So it is not a problem changing views while overcoming an obstacle.
totalvision-2.jpg

A simple bit of software on the laptop called MyScreenCam allows you to make the viewing window any size you want and to record the video. The cameras come in color or black & white and even work well in low light. The only change we will make to the Sportsmobile will be to add underbelly rock lights to improve the field of view.
totalvision-7.jpg

The back bumper camera is well protected by the Warn rear bumper and has held up perfectly. This camera was the least of my worries but with the limited visibility of the FJ Cruiser it was the most often used view.
totalvision-1.jpg

The front bumper camera was the second most used again due to the seating position vs hood with the FJC. Our first mounting point on top of the Warn solenoid box worked great but when we switched over to the lightweight Aluminess bumper I moved the camera to the top bull bar. This gave a much wider field of view and was well protected by the Hi-Lift mounted over it.
totalvision-8.jpg

Under the rig is the area of most abuse. Since installing the system I have competed in the 5 day Expo Trophy which includes high speed sand driving, burying your rig to the frame in a sand hill as a Recovery Challenge, A Navigation Challenge through rocky washes and steep cross axle climbs and more. Then there is all the testing we do at Disabled Explorers which often involves sinking the rig into sand and mud or high centering on a big rock.
totalvision-9.jpg

The axle cameras are mounted next to the Rasta aluminum skid plate support bracket which has done a great job of protecting them. I do have to clean the lens every once in a while if water or mud has been involved but not every time so it isn't a burden.
totalvision-4.jpg

The only camera to suffer any damage with all this abuse was the rear axle camera which showed a cracked lens cap. Total Vision knows and expects the gear to be used hard and to save you money their cameras are built with a replaceable lens cover. It is super easy to call or email and for a few bucks you can screw on the new lens cover and be back in action.
totalvision-3.jpg

totalvision-5.jpg

As someone who likes to go out by myself on weekdays (hey I have the SPOT Satellite Messenger, Ham Radio, water in the fridge and survival gear) the Total Vision system has been a huge help in self spotting over rocks, when cresting hills and backing up on narrow trails. The only change we will make in transferring the system over to the Sportsmobile will be to add a roof rack camera facing forward. That will give me a reason to make use of the simple hard drive record function and give us some fun video to play with. Of course who knows what Total Vision is up to with their next generation of video systems?

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
What kind of connections did you use to hook it up to your laptop? Curious about piping it into a netbook.

1leglance

The system from Total Vision can be ordered with a RCA connector or another type I think.
I used a RCA to USB video adapter made by Belkin (there are others). MyScreenCam which is a free program sees it just as a video input like a webcam or such.
Super easy to use.
You can also use the system with any of the radio head units that have a screen for a backup camera. Since it has the rotating control it is only 1 channel input at a time.

Now if I could find a UV camera for the front it would be fun to look for scorpions before getting out on night runs :)

cactusjk

Explorer
I am having trouble finding a USB to RCA adapter that works with My Screen Cam. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1leglance

I got mine at Fry's Electronics locally here in Phx....
If it wasn't buried up under the dash I would dig it out and give you a brand name...sorry

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I found this one here...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011403&p_id=5324&seq=1&format=2

I buy stuff from them all the time and have never had a problem other than when I ordered the wrong item and their customer service was top notch in getting an exchange sorted out for me.

Agreed on Monoprice, great outfit! ...however that's a computer -->tv interface and you need camera --> computer interface (also known as video capture or rca capture, etc)...

Tiger Direct (another good online vendor) has a whole bunch

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...y_slc.asp?CatId=1428&name=USB Capture Devices

If you have a local Fry's they are great for this stuff....look in their security/surveillance area...

Just a note...these typically only capture in 'standard def' while your laptop is likely hi-def (720p or greater)...don't expect to have super-clear video capture on your laptop...and capturing, then saving, getting it into an editable format, changing the video around, then burning to DVD...and playing on your new 60" 3D flatscreen...um yeah, might be a little grainy ;) if you want something like that, the price for a hi-def camera and the equipment needed to capture that on the computer goes up 10x or more...

...anyways back on topic, this is a great setup! I used a homemade version of this (a couple $25 cameras from Fry's, cheapo switch from Radio Shack, $50 lcd) and it can be a lifesaver, especially if you go out alone, or if it's raining an no one wants to get out and see if you'll clear that rock in the trail, or if you tow anything, the possibilities are endless! and if you get a good switch, adding more cameras just takes time and few $$...pretty cool stuff!

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
Do you have any specs on the cameras themselves?

I have been looking at a single HelmetCamera.. they offer different resolution cameras and multiple lenses of varying angles. Using my JVC AVX-33 head unit to display live, mounted behind the front axle on the body or frame.

I was curious what resolution the Total Vision cameras provide, and what the wide angle lens measurements were.

They didn't appear to have specs anywhere on their web site, except a price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy