Long time lurker, new D1 owner

ColoDisco

Explorer
Welcome to D1 ownership! I am a LR tech and own 2 D1's myself. A 14 CUX and a 4.6 gems. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

brianf408

Observer
Climbed under it on Friday to move the linkage with a wrench, cranked it back and forth several times but the lock indicator was still lit when I started the truck up. Reversed in 4-low for about 2 feet and it disengaged, so got to have a safer drive home. Tonight I'm going to grease up the linkage, I want to make sure it's ready before hitting some light trails and going shooting on Saturday.

Question on suspension. What do you guys recommend for shocks? My shocks are factory original and are in need of replacement. I was originally going to hold off and do a full lift kit like the Terrafirma medium duty, but as of right now I was hoping to keep the truck stock for a while. Plus a 2" lift will make my factory sized tires look silly, as well as put me close to being too tall to fit in my garage and the parking garage at work. Between the Terrafirma normal kit, and the Pro kit, which would be a better option for shocks? I'm currently doing about 90% street and highway driving. Or should I just hold out until I'm ready to lift?

I'm also ordering tie rod ends and a steering damper today, as all the joints are worn or have torn boots, and the factory damper is pretty much just a decoration at this point. Probably going with a Terrafirma for the damper as well.

And I do have to say thanks to all you guys! This forum is great.

brunjc2

Just my opinion: wait on a lift 'kit'. A stock height DI is pretty impressive. I'm enjoying mine quite a bit.

I replaced the original shocks with procomp es9000 (I can provide the part numbers if you'd like). New shocks alone, when compared to the original(worn out) ones, improved the ride quality dramatically. I paid $170 for all four.

Also, my DI clears 215/85R16 tires nearly perfect without rubbing; just a little adjustment on the steering stops was needed.

Hope this helps.

brianf408

Observer
Just my opinion: wait on a lift 'kit'. A stock height DI is pretty impressive. I'm enjoying mine quite a bit.

I replaced the original shocks with procomp es9000 (I can provide the part numbers if you'd like). New shocks alone, when compared to the original(worn out) ones, improved the ride quality dramatically. I paid $170 for all four.

Also, my DI clears 215/85R16 tires nearly perfect without rubbing; just a little adjustment on the steering stops was needed.

Hope this helps.

I've decided I really don't want to lift, but I do need to do something about the springs. The whole truck is sitting almost an inch lower than stock spec, and the rear is noticeably sagging. Is there somewhere I can get stock height springs, but maybe at like a medium duty load? And that won't break the bank? I know I'll lift someday, but not when I need to be able to get the Disco in the garage.

If you wouldn't mind shooting me the part numbers for those es9000s, they look pretty affordable and should get the job done; plus they are Prime eligible on Amazon. The 9000s are nitrogen filled right? While the 1000s and 3000s are oil filled? I've always heard the es3000s ride rough but I don't know much about them beyond that.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
Swapping the 'old tired' springs for new ones can help.
I fitted 'Heavy Duty' spec ones to my Disco (series one 200tdi), helped when towing a decent sized trailer as well.
Can't comment on the shocks, i used De-Carbon ones myself, had no complaints.

LR HD springs are a good bet.

I've had better lock with OME shocks than Bilsteins.

Keep away from pressurised steering damper.

Our '94 has been with us since new...slowly returning to bauxite before my eyes now though

brianf408

Observer
Alright, think I'm about to pull the trigger on the rest of my suspension.

These are the only stock-ish springs I can even find. Has anyone used this setup? I'm concerned about how "heavy duty" the rear set is, I'd like a bit of an improved cargo and towing capacity but I don't want to sacrifice flexibility and articulation. And just what do they mean by "level front?"
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9273A.cfm

For shocks, I'm bouncing between the Pro Comp ES9000 +1" set, about $41 per shock with free shipping so about $160 total, or the TerraFirma All-Terrain, which is about $189+shipping. Whichever I go with, I plan on buying the matching steering damper as well.

brunjc2

Alright, think I'm about to pull the trigger on the rest of my suspension.

These are the only stock-ish springs I can even find. Has anyone used this setup? I'm concerned about how "heavy duty" the rear set is, I'd like a bit of an improved cargo and towing capacity but I don't want to sacrifice flexibility and articulation. And just what do they mean by "level front?"
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9273A.cfm

For shocks, I'm bouncing between the Pro Comp ES9000 +1" set, about $41 per shock with free shipping so about $160 total, or the TerraFirma All-Terrain, which is about $189+shipping. Whichever I go with, I plan on buying the matching steering damper as well.

I'm in the middle of figuring this spring deal out too. There's a lot of people that jump on HD or Extra HD springs because apparently "that's what your supposed to do" but I don't believe this.

So by 'level front' it appears they mean stock front springs. See the stripes on the center springs? One has a white stripe, the other blue. This is how Land Rover/Range Rover marked their springs. This marking correlates to a spring height and spring rate. Check this link out, there's a table with some spring specs.

http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

Here's a set of HD springs from Rovers North; two sets of Defender 110 front springs (yellow/yellow) ( same as your rear DI springs) for the front of your DI, and a set of springs (pink/red/yellow) for the rear, from another model Discovery it seems.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...=COIL-SPRING-SET-GENUINE-DI-HEAVY-DUTY&key=it

From what I understand, they are all interchangeable EXCEPT for the D110/D130 rear springs (larger diameter).

Still working on the Pro-Comp shock P/Ns too...

sedat

Adventurer
I personally hate the H/D springs. they beat the **** out of you unless you're carrying 9 tons of stuff to weigh the truck down. Plus couple em with stiff bilsteins and it'll put you into buy your chiropractor a new boat territory.

Buy what you intend to pile in it. if you're not carrying a rack, 13 tons of armor, tent, fuel, shower, kitchenette, etc etc etc, don't opt for the H/D.

the ProComps will serve you well for now, but keep in mind they will fade on washboard type roads at speed.

Edit: You can get em at 4wheel parts.

brianf408

Observer
Got a lot done to the truck this weekend! Fluids changed, front bumper trimmed, and some much needed maintenance. I did end up going a different route with my suspension... couldn't pass up the sale....

Also new tie rod ends all around and a new damper.

Will get some pics of the Disco with its new stance this week.

brianf408

Observer
Few crappy cell phone pics on the way home from work. Sitting a lot higher, going to needs some bigger tires soon! And definitely need to do a full detail when I get a nice day.

273D53E8-839F-45F2-BAB3-49925EBBC1BD_zpsnkhbkxvh.jpg
[/URL]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3