Looking at a 4wd van, need some advice

ert01

Adventurer
I've recently had an issue where the van randomly shuts off... Usually AFTER it has warmed up. Never when it's cold.

Just driving along and it cuts out. Sometimes it comes back a split second later by itself and sometimes I need to restart it. Only happens once per trip or less (never multiple times in one trip though).

I thought the CPS was bad so I replaced it with a new Ford one and I'm still having the same issue.

I wish I had some sort of data logger so I could track everything that's going on when it happens.

Maybe this is a good excuse to finally buy that AutoEnginuity package...

The worst part is that it's not consistent. It might happen twice in one day or I can go a week or two without any hiccups at all. So I could swap parts and not really know for a month or more if I actually fixed it or not. :/

speedyone

Check the relay to your PCM. Make sure the conections at the relay are tight. I had the same issue with my F350 and chased it for years. It started out doing exactly what you describe your van is doing random hiccups and stalling. It finally stalled and would not start at all, while checking the wiring harness and wiggling relays it started. While running again I wiggled the relay and it shut back off. I cleaned and adjusted how tight the relay fit in the plug and problem never came back. I never would have found the issue if the truck had not completely stopped running. Hope this works for you.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Also disconnect the fuel bowl heater as this feature is also on the same circuit as the power to the PCM. I too had an issue similar to yours but it wasnt related to the fuel bowl heater (although I did disconnect it anyway) rather it was related to those modules that track your driving habits (offered by Progressive at the time). Whatever is in those modules was screwing with my PCM and as soon as I removed it from the OBDII port....No more issues since! Good luck chasing the gremlin!

ert01

Adventurer
Hmmm... now you have me thinking...

I checked the relays and fuses last night and they seemed tight and looked like they were getting good contact. i'll likely replace the relays anyways just for peace of mind, but I'm going to start with my OBD stuff now...

I currently have my scangauge II AND an OBDII ELM bluetooth module plugged into an OBD splitter. Maybe it's the splitter, or maybe it's the bluetooth module causing grief. I'll get those unplugged asap tonight and take it for a test drive and see what happens. I also have a TS 5 position chip installed so I'll take the opportunity to check the PCM connections and ensure everything is still tight and connected properly.

I would LOVE it if this was a simple fix like that!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I currently have my scangauge II AND an OBDII ELM bluetooth module plugged into an OBD splitter....

DING DING DING that's my guess as to the cause of your issues. Lots of guys running "stacked chips" back in the day had similar issues. Think about it: your scangauge doesn't have a battery so what powers it? PCM via OBDII port. Bet it's the same with your OBDII bluetooth module. Causing a voltage drop or excess heat on that circuit most likely. A buddy once ran a warning light off his glowplug controller output so he'd know when his 7.3 IDI gp's were on. (as if the loud clicking wasn't a clue?!) His warning light (not LED obviously) pulled enough juice to cause hardstarting. Not to mention the frequency with which it burned out bulbs, likely due to the rapid on-off cycling. He changed gp's, controller, wiring harness, fusible links, etc etc etc trying to figure it out.

Lesson: leave stuff alone and if you have an issue, remove your modifications first as a troubleshooting measure before wasting time elsewhere.

ert01

Adventurer
Well I unplugged it all today and took it for a test drive. Over an hour and a half of driving on the highway and in the city and I had 0 issues. It's not conclusive but I'll be heading to the mountains tomorrow for a weekend of snowboarding so I'll leave it unplugged for that trip. If I have no issues that whole time, then I'll be convinced.

I think it's likely the Bluetooth adapter or the splitter causing the grief...

I'll update after I put er through the paces this weekend and let you know how it went.

Thanks though for the help guys! I was all prepared to start sorting through all the wiring harnesses in the engine bay looking for shorts... Ugh I really hope it doesn't come to that.

ert01

Adventurer
Yep. Gotta be something funky with the splitter or the OBD Bluetooth adapter.

I put on 1000km of mixed driving at all elevations and had no issues at all. Plugged it all back in once I got close to home and 5min later it stuttered (didn't die this time but had a big hiccup).

So I guess I will have to leave the splitter and adapter unplugged. Oh well, it would have been nice to have Torque Pro running on my headunit but not necessary since I already have the scangaugeII.

ert01

Adventurer
Since I've downsized to only one OBDII device, I've had no issues. Vans been running like a dream.

I did buy the AE scan tool and the enhanced Ford package for it so that's been fun to play with...

BUT apparently you CANNOT do tire size calibrations with it! I was trying everything I could think of and nothing was working. So I emailed AE and get a response...

c24ce5e287aeb886a6905bc5dae589e7.jpg

That's not what I wanted to hear. But at least I can share my experience here and save someone else the headache in the future. What a disappointment.

But it was nice to finally do a buzz test on my injectors. They all sound perfectly happy and healthy so that was a nice assurance.

I also purchased a Shelf-It SH-2165 for my van and I'm quite happy with it. The color match is almost spot on with the factory interior, the visors fold and operate just as they did before, and I gained some much needed usable storage. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

0df7214b09311c9de710a08cbc92e6c5.jpg

I also went to the junkyard and bought some new visors. Mine had all those ugly Airbag warning stickers on them and they looked really bad. So $5 and 5 minutes later, I scored some really clean ones from a 95 that matched exactly but have next to no markings on them.

dc5bf71935f23371c57d750799374480.jpg

I wish I would have taken a picture of the old ones to compare how bad they were. It's one of those things that most people probably wouldn't care about or notice, but made a big difference to me.

ert01

Adventurer
The van has seen a LOT of use this winter! Many snowboarding trips and ice fishing trips under it's belt now... But I recently had an oil leak spring up so I had to dig into it and see what was going on so it's been parked for the last few weeks until I could find time to get at it.

This past weekend though, I was able to get outside and get a LOT of work done on the van.

I'll just copy my posts from thedieselstop.com below, but the list that I got done looks like this:

-Replace as many O-rings as possible (complete fuel bowl rebuild, fuel line seals, turbo o-rings) using dieselorings.com combo pack
-Clean out fuel bowl
-Clean EBP sensor and tube
-Install under-hood fuel pressure gauge, and Schrader test port
-Install HPX line
-Install Riffraff FRx system
-AIH delete (Riffraff plug and code eliminator wire)
-Resonator box delete
-Riffraff High Flow CVD fitting set
-Install Riffraff Plenum Reinforcements
-Silicone intake plenum boots and T-Clamps
-Install new Napa 4019 coolant filter base and Napa 4071 coolant filter
-Put it all back together and hope I fixed the oil leak that started this whole rabbit trail of upgrades... Hahaha

Pictures!

After removing everything on top of the block, I can finally see daylight from inside the cab!
05af123fa5814def2d48570b1e16b613.jpg

I found it was really helpful to leave a full set of tools inside the cab as well as a full set outside...
8e19ad68161b898b0528c55136a5d3c0.jpg

A handful of the stuff I removed. I have a bunch of ziplock bags and as I was removing bolts and pieces, I'd put them in a ziplock and label it. That way I won't forget anything when putting it back together. I labeled the bags with the size of wrench/socket I need too for reassembly. Should make it pretty painless in the end:
af6bb6e2a51b2ab01681218ccc0e1163.jpg

Old and dirty:
cac8d9dee58ac879a2056dde282ff83a.jpg

New and shiny!
675688b0820722b29d310ee8ed8c9739.jpg

I have one table full of parts/orings:
c5b22f60dd265506bdd1e1e0994c1990.jpg

And another table for my workshop manuals/paperwork/laptop:
0184f3ad856f03202ce987c7035b58e1.jpg

Cleaning the fuel bowl:
55db92a8d309e2998e475f4953e914b5.jpg

Assembled and clean with the FRX installed and the fitting for my fuel pressure gauge. I chose the lower port (post-filter) because I want the actual pressure of the fuel rails. Pre-filter readings don't really mean much IMHO.
248ec7032f41579549e5d09147caa9f7.jpg

And the pesky EBP tube and the fittings... The old stripped fitting next to the new one. It cost me $1.50 at Princess Auto. For future reference, it is a 1/4" NPTM to 5/16 JIC (37deg) connector.
4af78b4aec98e2d3210131942d9c7393.jpg

I ended up taking the alternator and belt tensioner and alternator bracket off (they all use a 13mm deep socket). It made a TON of room! I should have done it right from the start.

I didn't unhook the electrical connections... Just unbolted it and swung it over to the drivers side.
73c9a44c86da73fbe4a858e1dcc82660.jpg

Now, I had really good access to the front port on the passenger side for the FRX to tie into. (I'm pointing at it with my torx wrench in this picture).
b07b3d8c2d8e17d4f42c870504b5bc45.jpg

And here's the rear port on the drivers side that the FRX ties into. Easy access here.
bacbc07917d34874df15adcd137e3122.jpg

With the alternator moved, it also gave really good access from the front for the fuel lines on the fuel bowl. When I removed these lines, I did them from the rear, but if I were to do it again if do it from the front.
8310c0442ed585164c8f90bb716f5f96.jpg

Here you can see the FRX bolted to the fuel bowl:
4a2215a22999a11bf8dd72f710a1f34d.jpg

Also, removing the alternator/tensioner/mounting bracket gave WAY better access to the EBP sensor and tube.

73717ac1afc4cba3ec5251c189ac16df.jpg

255fbde3a6b3f01cdf8c86b975917621.jpg

For the fuel pressure gauge, I bought a 90deg fitting that threads into one of the plugs on the fuel bowl. It converted the threads to 1/8"NPT and also came with a fuel-rated Schrader valve. You could technically just put the fitting and the Schrader onto the bowl but it would be tricky to get to it later to test the pressure. So what I did is thread the 90 onto the bowl, then I used a 1/8NPT to 1/4" hose barb which allowed me to run 1/4" fuel line up into the front of the engine bay. There, I installed a T fitting that has the mechanical gauge and the Schrader threaded into it.

Having the Schrader up at the T by the gauge allowed me to bleed the air from the line easily. It also gives me a test port so I can compare gauge readings if my mechanical gauge ever fails. I'm quite happy with this setup. I also have enough hose so that I can swing the gauge up onto the hood and view it while driving if need be to monitor the pressure under load.

I think in total I spent about 15-18hours on it, but a lot of that time was spent consulting the Internet and the workshop manuals. I had never removed the turbo or intake plenum parts and fuel bowl etc. if I were to do it all again I think I could realistically cut my time in half.

Lessons learned:

1) Remove belt, alternator, tensioner and bracket at the very beginning when you remove the airbox. It allows more access to the fuel lines on the fuel bowl and it is necessary for the FRX mod. It also allows MUCH better access to the EBP tube/sensor.

2) silicone plenum boots and t-clamps are well worth the money. I think if I had tried putting it all back together using the cheap stock boots and worm clamps I would have ripped a boot for sure.

3) you NEED a good assortment of wrenches. I used my flex-head ratchet wrenches, my stubby wrenches, my long handled wrenches, crows foot wrenches... Basically I had to use the whole arsenal to get the job done. Everything is just so crammed and awkward on these vans that having the right tool really saves a lot of headache.

4) Basically just ignore most of the FRX instructions. They describe how to install the FRX when the fuel bowl is in the vehicle still. I can't imagine that would be a fun task on a van. Maybe a truck, but it would create a TON of headaches on the van. Just pull the fuel bowl out, install the FRX onto the bowl and then put it back in the van.

ert01

Adventurer
Leak is fixed :)

I washed the undercarriage right after doing all that work and it's still dry and clean today... I've put almost 1000km of mixed highway/city/gravel road driving on it in the last week and there's not a single drop of oil to be seen. Makes me feel pretty good!

I also got another thing done today and scratched off the to-do list...

I built a shelf inside my pelican case on the bumper swing out.

I started with some luan as a template... After some measuring and cutting I got a good fitting template. I then traced the template onto a sheet of 1/4" aluminum and started cutting:
d934095de1c849d2dc8d0d0c8f18f6a4.jpg

I would have used some 3/16" aluminum just because it cuts a lot easier but I have a pile of this 1/4" left over from work so I'll use the free stuff :) I use a jigsaw for this job... A decent metal blade, some good pressure and a stick of cutting wax makes quick work of it and leaves a decent edge.

bd47a274737062e7193dce637d10eb0d.jpg

And then I use an angle grinder and flap disc to finish the edges off. If you've never used a flap disc, it is probably one of my favorite metal finishing tools... About 10 seconds of flappy-wheeling gets you this nice edge:
bd3f1565029b8404dba3e0e1cad219af.jpg

The finished product:

3e37a5a2cc58b4f805b0fdc222db3c00.jpg

ed20fe88af9341b61bfa168a5b995185.jpg

2b8082ac90c674016d210eef03fdb3e9.jpg

I will add one more shelf above the BBQ. It is the perfect size to fit my Coleman stove. Tomorrows project...

ert01

Adventurer
I've been using the van a LOT lately... Went snowboarding/van camping the last couple weekends in a row now and I'm loving the HPX and FRX upgrades. The van seems so happy and smooth.

I took a sound level reading inside the cab at 70mph and it was barely touching 80db (measured between the driver and passenger seats at head height). For a 7.3, I'd say that's acceptable :)

Today on the highway though, my van felt a bit sluggish. I switched through all the readings on my scangaugeII and noticed the EBP was reading between 49 and 53psi constantly.... Even at idle. And even with the engine off :( I thought maybe I had input the xgauge parameters wrong in my scangauge, so I verified it with my AE when I got home. Sure enough, bad EBP sensor. I JUST cleaned the line and the sensor, so I'm thinking I damaged the sensor in the process.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new sensor this week.

In other news, I added some spring-loaded pins to lock the swing-outs in place on my aluminess rear bumper. I'll upload some pictures of it tomorrow.

I was pretty sick of having the swing-outs moving freely when I was parked on anything but level ground and these pins will solve that annoyance pretty easily. Just took a little time with some 1/4" plate aluminum (my material of choice of course) and a jig saw.

I'm getting so pumped for summer to come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues