Looking at Gen II Montero's, Rear Suspension Weirdness

DuManchu

I'm going to look at the brown 1997 Montero LS pictured below on Saturday, I noticed the rear appeared to be sitting higher than the front, I chalked it up to the incline and assumed it was mildly flexing.
Montero_Sedalia.jpg

Today, I was looking on AutoTrader and noticed another 1997 with a "high butt". I'm now starting to think it's a common problem/issue on these vehicles.
1997_Montero_Big_Butt.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this phenomenon?

Thanks!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The montero is made to be used. The rear is typically higher because they expect you to put a load in back.

It may also simply be that the front IFS torsion bars have 'aged'. Can be fixed by either torquing the torsion bars, re-indexing them, or if they're worn badly enough, replacing them with new OEM units or aftermarket units from ARB, or Iron Man. TJM or was it ECB may also offer aftermarket bars but I haven't verified that.

DuManchu

I was used to my Land Cruiser being a little higher in the back unloaded, but not that much. Perhaps it's just worn out torsion bars, plus a mixture of an odd lighting angle that's making it look worse than it really is.

Thanks for the reply!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No problem. I see you're searching for a Montero (possibly). IF you plan on using it off road, consider the SR models (not the LS) for the 94-96 year range and for the gen II.5 with the wider fenders consider getting the winter package.

In both cases they will have a locking rear differential. The switch is located in the bottom section of the front center console in front of the gear shift and xcase lever.

DuManchu

I'd love to have an SR, believe me, there were two for sale near me for a while but I never got responses from the sellers.

I'm basically just going to look at this one to check out a Monty. I've always liked them, I've just never actually seen one up close and personal.

I would still take an LS (97+), but it would have to be the right price (like this one) and in good shape.

The only thing really stopping me from getting a Monty is whether or not it will fit in my garage. My 94 Cruiser didn't fit with 33's on it (but fit stock) and I got kinda tired of parking outside... :D

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Yep, it's meant to carry some weight back there. The torsion bars up front may need to be re-torqued.

Most sport utes and trucks have a rake to them where the back sits higher.

Go for the SR model if you have time to look.

Mine has seating for seven and a turbo diesel and I love it so far!!!:smiley_drive:

DuManchu

Well, I checked out the LS and was perplexed by a few things.

1. The oil pressure gauge reads really low, and barely moves at all.
2. I could not get it to shift into 4L, I tried every which way, no dice.
3. The front two wheels for the 4WD indicator seem to flash at random, and the center diff seems to take a while to lock/unlock.
4. Can the auto hubs be a little slow? It seemed slow to engage and disengage 4WD.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, I checked out the LS and was perplexed by a few things.

1. The oil pressure gauge reads really low, and barely moves at all.
2. I could not get it to shift into 4L, I tried every which way, no dice.
3. The front two wheels for the 4WD indicator seem to flash at random, and the center diff seems to take a while to lock/unlock.
4. Can the auto hubs be a little slow? It seemed slow to engage and disengage 4WD.

1) Common. May be a bad sender or connection to sender
2) What was your speed when shifting? It should go in no problem if you're moving slowly (IIRC under 15mph but you need to check the manuals) but if the owner has rarely used 4WD it could make it tough to get into sometimes.
3) This is common if 4WD was rarely used. Fix is to take a look at the 4WD solenoids above the xcase.
4) This rig does not have locking/auto hubs. It has what is known as a central axle disconnect (CAD). The locking action occurs at the differential where when it's engaged it sends power to the differential. Otherwise no power from the Xcase goes to the front drive shaft, however the wheel axles and differential side gears are always spinning. Some owners will actually install manual locking hubs to allow them to unlock the hub and prevent the front axle components and differential from spinning saving wear and tear on those components.

DuManchu

When trying to shift into 4L I tried it while stopped, while moving slightly, and nothing. Tried it in Neutral, Park, with brake on, off, parking brake on/off. It doesn't even feel as if there's a way for the shifter to even move forward at all.

The other issues aren't that big of a deal to me, but not being able to shift into 4L at all was a concern.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It doesn't even feel as if there's a way for the shifter to even move forward at all.

There's a part within the shift mechanism that can break and may have on their vehicle. On a recent 4x4 trip a friend with a 98 Montero broke this part and couldn't shift into 4Hi and was stuck in 4low. We found the problem and repaired his rig in the parking lot to the OHV area we were in.

That said, I would move on from that rig and find a working on.

Justice R

Adventurer
shifting into 4 Low

I know this reply is late. But to shift the Active Track T Case into 4 low you have to push strait down on the lever at the same time time your moving it forward. Its a bit ornery but easy once you get used to it. Dont be afraid to put a little muscle into it, especially if it has not been engaged in a while if not at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven