Looking for a D Load 33 Inch x 18 A/T Tire...

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I can't seem to find a lighter load rated "D Load" (approximately 2756lbs at 44psi per tire) 33 Inch A/T Tire that has a good "look" to it.

The General APT and BFG Encounters are the only ones I can find, but look more like highway tires and don't have that aggressive patterning I like.
That rating is what came stock spec for my SUV, and I do not want to go up to E rated. Just can't find a set, and hoped the hive mind here might have some candidates?

Stay safe--

WWD

Last edited:

Grassland

My 34x10.5R17 KO2 measure waaaaaay small, and load D. Same diameter as a 255/80R17 KM2, which is a 33.
Can you fit 17s on the truck?
If there is a helpful tire shop nearby also just check some tires that interest you, as listed diameter and what they are in real life varies a LOT. Maybe there is a tire with the load rating you want with a larger actual diameter than the OE tires despite not being listed as such.

Goatdog

Nitto Terra Grappler G2. 2756 lbs @44. D range tire.

Have 20k miles on my wife's Sahara. Good looking tire too.
ebe9fe4bce81f18586bd460bfe4edc6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gspfunk

I can't seem to find a D Load (2756lbs at 44psi) 33 Inch A/T Tire that has a good "look" to it.

The General APT and BFG Encounters are the only ones I can find, but look more like highway tires and don't have that aggressive patterning I like.
That rating is what came stock spec for my SUV, and I do not want to go up to E rated. Just can't find a set, and hoped the hive mind here might have some candidates?

Stay safe--

WWD
Please excuse my ignorance, but why not E rated?

If it has to do with the harsh ride, there are plenty of 2 ply E rated tires out there. I’m just curious as I’ve been doing a lot of research on tires and trying to find the best compromise of offroad strength and lighter weight. Also still trying to learn how some tires suit certain needs.

I ended up with the Mastercraft CXT, but also considered several less aggressive all terrains in 2 ply LT.

jbaucom

Goodyear offers the Duratrac in LT275/70r18 and LT285/65r18, both load range D.

Load ranges C & D seem to be disappearing from the market due to the fact that most half-ton trucks and SUVs spec P-metric tires from the factory, and according to to the load/inflation tables I've looked at, LT metric tires of a given size carry the same amount of weight at a designated inflation pressure, up to the maximum on the sidewall, regardless of load range. For example, my F150 has OE LT275/65r18 load range C recommended to be run at 40 psi; I can replace these with a load range E tire of the same size and the recommended pressure is still 40 psi and the tires will carry the same load as the OE load range C tires at 40 psi. You're dramatically limiting your options by looking for only load range D tires.

jbaucom

Nitto Terra Grappler G2. 2756 lbs @44. D range tire.

Have 20k miles on my wife's Sahara. Good looking tire too.
ebe9fe4bce81f18586bd460bfe4edc6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is a euro metric (e-metric) tire, not a load range D LT-metric tire.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I have had E's on trucks and they always road rough and weighed a ton--but I rarely ran around loaded. My truck is a '20 Ford Expedition FX4, and while it can carry 1750+ pounds it does not call for E rated IMHO. It is currently not set up for full-overlanding so I rarely come close to capacity. Thank you all for your responses, I went with Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in 295/70-18 116S which weigh just under 51 pounds per skin and 34.3 x 11.7 when mounted and aired.

I made another error--on the tire and aired they measure exactly to spec.

Last edited:

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Thank you for the correction, JB. I guess I have been referring to it incorrectly as "D" due to the class of weight it can bear (2756 @44psi per tire) and the incorrect assumption it was a truck tire.
As it matches the factory specs for the tires as issued, now I realize that D Load is not the same as it is a rating for an LT tire.

Ugh, just when I thought I had learned enough about tires, now I am "back to the books" :(

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Thank you for the correction, JB. I guess I have been referring to it incorrectly as "D" due to the class of weight it can bear (2756 @44psi per tire) and the incorrect assumption it was a truck tire.
As it matches the factory specs for the tires as issued, now I realize that D Load is not the same as it is a rating for an LT tire.

Ugh, just when I thought I had learned enough about tires, now I am "back to the books" :(
If you haven't had issues then I wouldn't run LT tires. I run LT tires in everything because I had lots of issues with punctures. If you step up to a LT I wouldn't focus on load rating as much. I have e rated tires that ride better than c rated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl