Looking for a expedition vehicle w/space for matress

rahzim

Hello everyone,
So after browsing around the internet I finally came across this site and it has helped me quite a bit. I'm in the market (come October) for a 4x4 vehicle with a budget of $4-6000 usd. Below is a quick summary of what I'm looking for.

Must have:
1. Sleeping space: I'm 6'2" and want a vehicle that I can put a twin matress in and sleep with all the doors closed. Last year I tried my first expedition to the Grand Canyon/Utah national parks and pretty much winged it. I took my golf TDI and found out the hard way every campsite in national parks were usually 100% capacity. I wound up spending a lot of money on hotels. If all elese fails and I can't/don't want to find a campsite, I'd like to just park in a walmart lot somewhere and go to sleep in the back.

2. I have to have a vehicle that can tackle those last few miles through dirt/rocky roads that require good clearance and a 4x4 to get to that remote trailhead. Right now I'm stuck to trails accesable only by my TDI, which is obviously restricting me quite a bit.

Below is features I'd like but would be willing to compromise to meet my budget

1. Decent Gas Mileage - Thinking low 20's mpg highway
2. Reliable - I travel alone a lot to remote areas and I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere

I've already read through the post on budget expedition vehicles but I'm just wondering how they are with cargo space and if they can comfortably fit a 6'2" adult with a twin matress in the back. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

- Tim

huntoon

Adventurer
I can fit a queen size mattress in my erg cab tundra.... They are getting cheaper all the time.

It sounds like you need a truck. Most domestic short beds are 6'5" so I'd look there.

If I were you I would look at getting an older regular cab, 4x4, compact pickup. You can add a camper shell to provide cover from the elements. I really like the 1994 Toyota Pickup because they are very reliable. The extra weight of the camper will also help with traction in the rear when your offroad. Others you may consider are the Nissan Hardbody, Isuzu pickup, Chevy S10, Ford Ranger, and Mitsubishi pickup.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Check out AWD Astro vans. The have plenty of space (full size futon mattress in mine), are surprisingly capable off road stock, can be lifted fairly cheap, entry prices aren't that high, they tend to last forever with general maintenance and can get low 20s on the highway.

Grumpy plays well with the Jeeps.

205255_10151978613070052_1444146001_n.jpg

551184_4100330384315_906333837_n.jpg

319380_10151978615515052_35369898_n.jpg

378236_10151978625665052_919270851_n.jpg

rahzim

Thank you for the replies, I'm leaning towards trucks myself but I didn't want to rule out the expedition type suv's. When you say most domestic short beds are 6'5" does that mean with the rear hatch open or closed? I've been looking at pictures of ford rangers 4x4 with camper shells and its hard for me to tell without seeing one in person just how much space there is. Normally I'd just go and look but right now I'm deployed, so all I can do atm is research. I like the looks of the Tacoma's but they look like they have a smaller flatbed then the rangers do. I think I'd prefer compact pickups if they'll fit me due to fuel economy.

rahzim

Check out AWD Astro vans. The have plenty of space (full size futon mattress in mine), are surprisingly capable off road stock, can be lifted fairly cheap, entry prices aren't that high, they tend to last forever with general maintenance and can get low 20s on the highway.

WOW! I never thought I'd see an astro doing that! Thanks I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist and see if I can check one out in person. Do you perhaps have a shot from the back with the matress inside?

ihatemybike

Explorer
Here's how I have Grumpy set up with a platform built in the rear cargo area.

Platform1.jpeg

Platform2.jpeg

Futon.jpeg

As you can see I still have all the seats in it and they are all usable by folding the futon mattress. Later this year I'll be removing the third row and building a bigger platform to replace it. I already have a lot of space, but the rebuild will allow me to store a bicycle under the platform as well.

Last edited:

huntoon

Adventurer
Thank you for the replies, I'm leaning towards trucks myself but I didn't want to rule out the expedition type suv's. When you say most domestic short beds are 6'5" does that mean with the rear hatch open or closed? I've been looking at pictures of ford rangers 4x4 with camper shells and its hard for me to tell without seeing one in person just how much space there is. Normally I'd just go and look but right now I'm deployed, so all I can do atm is research. I like the looks of the Tacoma's but they look like they have a smaller flatbed then the rangers do. I think I'd prefer compact pickups if they'll fit me due to fuel economy.

I was talking about the Ford F series, Dodge Ram, and Chevy Full size trucks. The mini and mid sized trucks have various length beds.

Full size don't necessarily get worse gas mileage than mini trucks. My first gen Tundra gets the same MPG as my 95 Toyota Pickup.

I used to sleep in that 95 pickup. It was small, and I am 6'5'' but it worked. So if I could do it, you could do it. Rangers are probably the same. But now I can't imagine trying to do that because I am so used to the spaciousness of a full size.

If you don't really need 4x4, I think you could get a 1st gen Toyota Tundra 2WD Reg Cab for $5k or less.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have slept in the back of my Trooper. I have a platform that matches the rear seat height with the backs folded. I am 6'3" so I had to sleep diagonal, but was comfortable enough. I bought some Magnascreens to screen the windows for some fresh air.

[edit] just noticed your desire for low 20 mpg, a Trooper won't do that...offhand I can't think of an SUV that big that will do that kind of mpg...

Last edited:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i always vote for suburbans, but to get low 20s on the highway ur either going to need a 350 in excellent running condition or a diesel. We used to have a queen matress in the back of our suburban for our trips.

vanroth

Observer
Here is a picture of my fullsize futon in my Astro. I keep it folded while traveling which leaves room for storage underneath and a nice platform for our two dogs. It folds out to the full width of the truck. I did make new side frames for it to make it a bit more compact and raise it a couple of inches.

With the AWD I've taken it through some pretty rough stuff -- even before the 2" lift. Very under-rated expo vehicle! Cheap, reliable AND stealthy.

DSC_5402sm.jpgDSC_5423sm.jpg

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Here's my '04 Astro AWD, mostly use rtt now but still keep air mattress for places I don't want to use rtt. Lifting is not expensive, parts are available and relatively inexpensive, reliable, fuel mileage is not the greatest however. There are some nice GenIII ('03-'05) Astro/Safari vans out there within your budget, or less.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/72414-Astro-AWD-quot-Stroverlander-quot

Stroverlander_5_Lift_2A.jpg

Stroverlander1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach