Looking for ideas for a Heater/water heater/AC unit I can hang off the back of my trailer...

FN4PAPA

HI all... I have looked at the Diesel units for heating the sleeping compartment and that would work for just heating the sleeping area, but I really don't want to carry a 3rd fuel (LP, Gas and Diesel)... Also would be nice to find a small heat pump that I could use for both cooling and heating and in a very compact format that could be hung off the back of the trailer... I suppose power consumption will be an issue but I have the little Honda generator so could use that... appreciate any ideas cheers

Teardropper

Well, for heat, there's nothing finer than a Propex propane heater. They take combustion air from outside and the exhaust goes back out. 180º thermostatically controlled heat. .3 pounds of propane per hour and the don't burn in a teardrop for long.

ZBxOTW5.jpg

We'll never have another teardrop without one. (But hold on to your hat, they are spendy.)

Tony

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Well, for heat, there's nothing finer than a Propex propane heater. They take combustion air from outside and the exhaust goes back out. 180º thermostatically controlled heat. .3 pounds of propane per hour and the don't burn in a teardrop for long.

ZBxOTW5.jpg

We'll never have another teardrop without one. (But hold on to your hat, they are spendy.)

Tony
I've always opted for the Chinese diesel heaters purely due to price, but have similarly always wondered about the Propex heaters. My single-biggest complaint with the diesel heaters is the noise, particularly the ticking of the pump. Are there any similar "gotchas" with the Propex, or is it largely silent? (Beyond the sound of moving air.)

Ozarker

What are you traveling in/with? A JK or a converted 52 passenger school bus? Any weight limit, how much room do you have? How often must you rely on this system and for how long?

A heat pump? You mean like a ductless A/C heat pump? Is this going in your slide in camper on a Tacoma?

You mentioned power as that might be a problem, what is your power capacity, just plugged in at the state park or 5KW off grid?

Teardropper

Are there any similar "gotchas" with the Propex, or is it largely silent? (Beyond the sound of moving air.)
Nope. They are quiet.

I looked hard at the diesel heaters. There's a Facebook page for troubleshooting them, so I concluded they have issues. I didn't want two fuels with my teardrop.

NOmeDpZ.jpg

93HPpQP.jpg

Tony

FN4PAPA

ZBxOTW5.jpg

Tony
Thanks Tony, that does look like a good solution, I am kinda tight on space inside the trailer, I wonder if I could hang that box off the back and run the duck up the outside to the pop up when I use it (take ducting off when traveling) so is the box weather proof?

FN4PAPA

What are you traveling in/with? A JK or a converted 52 passenger school bus? Any weight limit, how much room do you have? How often must you rely on this system and for how long?

A heat pump? You mean like a ductless A/C heat pump? Is this going in your slide in camper on a Tacoma?

You mentioned power as that might be a problem, what is your power capacity, just plugged in at the state park or 5KW off grid?
Hi Ozarker, you can see my rig here:

The perfect system would run on LP, be able to be placed on the back of the trailer and also heat water.... but probably going to have to get a seperate hot water heater...

Cheers

Teardropper

Thanks Tony, that does look like a good solution, I am kinda tight on space inside the trailer, I wonder if I could hang that box off the back and run the duck up the outside to the pop up when I use it (take ducting off when traveling) so is the box weather proof?
That's doable with the Propex HS2211. Mine is the HS2000 and it isn't waterproof.

Tony

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I have a similar setup with a diesel heater; details in this post - https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/eatsleepwoof-gets-a-6x12.235483/page-3#post-3066937

I see no reason you couldn't do the same with the Propex.

FN4PAPA

ZBxOTW5.jpg

Tony
HI Tony, is the white tube for intake from the cabin and the black tube for heat ? So it takes the air from the cabin to heat and not the outside, yes ?

Teardropper

HI Tony, is the white tube for intake from the cabin and the black tube for heat ? So it takes the air from the cabin to heat and not the outside, yes ?

You've got it right. The black tube is hot air and the lighter tube returns the air from the cabin to the heater.

jwiereng

ZBxOTW5.jpg

Tony
I suspect the Dickenson Newport heater is a fine option to consider. Silent. Separated combustion. Not thermostatically controlled however.

No fan needed, No need for 12V

Teardropper

I suspect the Dickenson Newport heater is a fine option to consider. Silent. Separated combustion. Not thermostatically controlled however.

I've got a friend with one in his truck-bed camper and he likes it a lot. There's just no way to put one in a teardrop.

Tony

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram

I looked into those a while back for my own needs and read several concerning reviews. Folks complained that they are far from silent in real life (supposedly some sort of loud ticking noise), and also mentioned various operating problems. I've no experience with them myself, so can't confirm anything, but anyone interested may find it worth doing extra research into these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3