Looking for info on purchasing my first land rover

Showroom

Hi all. Im looking for something to replace my 98 Jeep XJ, Its getting to small and is just to under powered. Ive built to handle trails up to about a 3.4-4 I love to take the family camping in it and any dirt road I see I take it just to see where it goes. Im just starting to read through the forums and have a long way to go before making a decision. I know my jeep inside and out so starting over make me a little nervous. Im looking for info on the best years(i like creature comforts) suspensions, best drive trains(engine, trans ,transfers case) I like wrenching on my own vehicles so if and older model is best then thats fine. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Rovers are great vehicles but if you are familiar with jeeps the wrangler 4 doors sure are nice and they are available everywhere as well as parts and after market support. I am not saying don't get a rover but the parts availability is much lower than what you are use to and they are a quirky vehicle.

Go take a few for a drive and see what you think. You can do all the research in the world but nothing beats seat of the pants.

Go test drive a 2004 Discovery. You'll know in a few minutes if it's what your looking for. Also they aren't hard to work on and you can download a PDF of the workshop manual for free. I've got them on my iPhone ;) Some things are done differently like momentary switches running to the BCM to control fog lights. There are simple work arounds for that and you can keep a very clean looking dash. (Big deal for my wife) good luck and I came from a long line of Jeeps before I finally got my Rover. I've never been more satisfied with any other vehicle. JMHO

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sell your XJ
Buy a 4dr Unlimited Rubicon
Never get involved with Land Rovers
Live a happy life

Nissan Xterra, Izuzu Trooper, Mistubishi Montero, Toyota 4 Runner.

Any of those will fix your problem. And on the Xterra try to get the newer body style (2004). Better engine and more cargo room for your family. Get a later 4 Runner. My buddies 98 was underpowered in the mountains when we went camping last. Troopers are bulletproof and later ones have lots of bells and whistles. Monteros are awesome as long as you don't get side swiped by a U-haul truck. So put some sort of anti-Uhaul truck device on the vehicle (spikes?) and you are set.

Tells you something about rovers when the rover guys are telling you to buy something else. On the flipside, rovers are super fun. All of the above are boring (well, you can spruce up a 4 runner pretty good) but work. However I think "just work" is something a family man wants to have considering you have other things to worry about other than a dead truck.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Considering I only kept the 109, that is further from the case!

But now that you mention it, it seems like the LR3/LR4/RRS trucks are solid. Yes I know, air suspension but I haven't heard anything negative about the airbags. If I were to build up a truck now (and actually spend $$ doing it and not half @$$ing it) I would probably start with one of those trucks. Yeah, they are more expensive but I think in the long run you'll be happy. Now don't expect to slap a lift, tires, and sliders on one of these trucks and go hit the Hammers but for, say, all of Northern Georgia, most of Coal Creek ORV area, Uwharrie National Forest, Windrock, Land Between the Lakes, and everything in between, it'll work good.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
To the original poster....what is your price range? If you can afford it, I highly suggest the LR3, or same year model Rovers. They are wholly more reliable and less to deal with than earlier models. I have 107k miles on my LR3 and I basically just have the oil change. I did have my rear diff replaced under an extended warranty and I had some really weird seat belt sensor issue (sensor didnt exist but computer showed a fault) that required reprograming the computer from the factory. However, NOTHING has stopped me from driving it.

If you cant swing the LR3, but the most recent model with the lowest miles you can afford. Have a prepurchase inspection performed, and if you can get a detailed service history then the truck has bonus points. They're a bit more maintenance intensive (the pre LR3 era models) but I think you will like the more than the Jeep. DIIs - expect to pay about around $5k per year in repairs (that would include taking it to the shop), less if you can do it yourself.

I fell in love with Land Rover when I bought my 96 Discovery, one of the worst year models made. I suffered through it and I have owned 8 total. So go for it, just do plently of research and be prepared.

Daryl

Adventurer
DIIs - expect to pay about around $5k per year in repairs (that would include taking it to the shop), less if you can do it yourself.

What kind of maintenance debt are the DIIs in that you are talking about? Or what kind of thrashing are the taking?

$5k is crazy money to maintain one, even if you send it to the dealer every time you hear a rattle.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I had an 08 Unlimited Rubicon...lots of fun, but CRAP for an engine. It had no power, and destroyed the tranny driving in the mountains and towing a very small offroad trailer. I sold it a year ago and bought an 08 LR3. I LOVE my Rover and don't regret it one bit!

Howski

I have no idea where your getting that $5k number from for annual D2 repairs... It doesn't need to go into the shop every time it leaks oil

Green96D1

Explorer
5K a year wow. my mom has had her discovery 2 for almost 6 years now and only spent about 1900 in repairs and that over a 6 year time frame mostly regular repairs and preventive maintanence. These trucks may not be honda's in reliability but they are not as bad as some make them out to be!

jrose609

Explorer
To the original poster....what is your price range? If you can afford it, I highly suggest the LR3, or same year model Rovers. They are wholly more reliable and less to deal with than earlier models. I have 107k miles on my LR3 and I basically just have the oil change. I did have my rear diff replaced under an extended warranty and I had some really weird seat belt sensor issue (sensor didnt exist but computer showed a fault) that required reprograming the computer from the factory. However, NOTHING has stopped me from driving it.

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE in white available for sale in the For Sale section. Excellent condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333