Looking for opinions on 5100 preload

Zwoehr

Hey I'm about to install some front bilsteins on my 05 tacoma. I'm looking for advice on what to set the preload to. Right now the rear is just about 3 inches higher than the front. Bilstein says the shocks are valved to control the springs at full preload so I'm not too worried about ride quality. It feels pretty soft with the TRD springs and HD shocks on it. I'm leaning toward the 1.75" setting but might want to go with the 2.5" if others have had good results.

FLnative

Observer
I have 5100's on my '08 and have them set at 1.75". I think they feel good set at this height and haven't had any problems with vibrations. Don't know how 2.5" compares though. I wen't with 1.75" becuase I only have the TSB 4 leaf pack in the back and wanted the truck to sit level.

TimS

Adventurer
I've got mine at the 3/4 ht. Reason being, I plow with it. Make sure you use a good spring compressor. Its worth going to a shop if you don't have one. The springs will bend the basic drill type compressor's which made me nervous.

trailpac

I have had my '08 set at 2.5" for about 1500 miles now. No problems and no noticable change in ride quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater