Looking for the right Canoe

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
kerry said:
I have a Bell Yellowstone and like it for solo tripping although it's stability varies greatly with seat height. I haven't paddled any of their big boats. I have a Sawyer DY Special and it's a lightening fast solo boat but requires a bow thruster to turn.

The DY special was a great boat in its day. The current Yost offering in that class is the Bell Magic which is 4 generations down the road from the DY special. All the boats in that fast solo touring class are harder to turn. However the magics updated differential rocker, improved elliptical center section and less aggressive asymetry make for a better handling canoe then the DY special. The older Sawyer label canoes like yours are direct lineage of the modern bell canoes. You can see it across the board. This is also true of the Curtis canoes that Dave designed.

I assume the Yellowstone you have is the Yellowstone solo? If it is that is really the second generation of the wildfire which is my all time favorite solo canoe. The basic difference between those 2 models is that the rocker in the Wildfire is symetrical and the Yellowstone solo uses the current Differential rocker design. This basically enhanced the tracking characteristics of the canoe making it an easier boat for novice paddlers as well as giving the canoe slightly better cruising performance.

I have paddled my carbon Kevlar Wildfire in every imaginable condition from flat water freestyle competition all the way up to class 4 white water on river like the Ocoee. The Yellowstone is just a slightly newer version.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
johnnyrover said:
Long time listener...first time caller

Wenonah and Bell make awesome boats, and are both built within 20 minutes of my house, but I would recommend you look at the Old Towne Penobscot (in royalex) as your first canoe.

For the money...
It has good initial and secondary stability, handles loads well, and tracks well when solo...They are also very durable in Royalex, and well suited as an all around canoe.

From here, you can begin to learn what form and function best suit your paddling needs.

If you are going to look at an Old Town then I agree the Penobscott series is the best. However keep in mind that in comparison to a Bell or Wenonah the Royalex laminate from Old Town is not as good. The laminate is thinner which wil make the boat slightly lighter however these canoes can suffer from "oil canning" as they age. Defenitly a great starter canoe. Keep in mind thought that Royalex in comparison to Kevlar is heavy and that Old Town spec wieghts are very very optomistic. I will tell you that the weight of reality vs catalog spec on O.T. canoe is as high as 15% more then catalog spec weight. THere have always been a big variable witht his brand and I am not sure why.

Just make sure you get to try one out on the water before you purchase because they all sound good in the catalog. Although a good canoe shop can lead you the right size of boat they cannot tell you which one is going to be the most stable. Stability has alot of influences. Like you natural sense of balance, comfort with water, athletic ability etc. Everyone has different comfort level and canoe do feel different on the water even with very close specs.

For me what I value in stability is something the industry does not really speak of. The industry speaks of initial stability which is the canoes basic resistance to leaning. They also talk talk about the secondary stability which is how far the boat can lean before a capsize. I look at what I call transitional stability. This is the measure of how the canoe moves from sitting level to leaning on its side. Most flat bottom canoes with straight sides have great initial stability however when they get to a certain point they roll to the side wildly and this most often causes the flip. People over react to the sudden transition. Canoes with rounded or v bottoms and heavily flared sides tend to have great secondary but they can be a chore to relax in because the boat is constantly leaning left and right so you feel as if you are going to possibly fall over even though that design gets more stable the further it leans. Unfortunetly most manufacturers over due the secondary and it is beyond most peoples comfort zone. So the the object is to be somewhere in the middle. Something with mild flare and a mid arch to the center hull section is usually where you will find a boat with good transitional stability. It will feel stable enough on flat water as well as choppy conditions. A boat with great transitional stability will move from level to fully leaned at a rate that feels comfortable. The canoe will not make you think uh oh hear we go. You will say to yourself up le are leaning left and then you will compensate for that without violently going for the "high side". It should feel natural. This is wy demoing a cnaoe first is important.

I also highly recommend spending a few dollars on a class. Paddling is much like skiing. You can strap on a set of skis and go for it which usually leads to a less then successful experience, or you take a lesson and get ahead of the curve and enjoy it from the start. Mastering a few basic strokes are paramount to a good experience. You should learn how to handle the canoe while it is still this includes moving the canoe sideways and spinning it in circles. You should learn how to do a proper forward stroke and stop. Then you are ready to learn how to make the canoe go straight and finally turn while under way using bow control. There are about 8 strokes that will make your paddling experience go from a canoe trip to a great canoe trip.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've paddled one of their lightweight kevlar tripping canoes. It could have been a Prospector model. It was very light, probably too light for a beginner paddler. I think they make boats in a variety of layups. I thought their workmanship was very good. A friend of mine owns a Quetico 16. It's a little small for tandem tripping but he paddles it solo on easy river trips.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
JeepinBear said:
Anybody familiar with Souris RIver Canoes??

http://www.sourisriver.com/

Souris river is kind of like the candian version of wenonah. They build a variety of hull laminates including some interesting s-glass laminates that are nearly transparent. My general feeling is that if you live in the U.S. then buy a U.S. made boat. Shipping across borders to handle a warranty issue is a serious P.I.T.A. I speak from experience on this. There is nothing there that is better then what you can get in a domestic boat.

JeepinBear

Explorer
Thanks again for all the input everyone!

I found a canoe on craigslist over in Boise and after some negotiation I went and picked it up this past Sunday. It is a 18' Wenonah Champlain in Royalex. It was made circa 2004 and is in good-excellent shape.

The previous owner had installed the screw mounted lashing eyelets on the underside of the bow and stern gunwales and installed d-rings to the floor. All the seating and wood thwarts are in excellent shape with no wear visible.

...and it floats! :ylsmoke: It also fits on top of the LJ!

We picked it up for $600! Based on my research I assume this was a pretty good deal. We figured this was a good starter canoe, if we enjoy it we will look at upgrading to a Kevlar model and keep this Royalex for short river trips.

Michelle and I have some of the Wenonah Black Lite paddles on order and plan on upgrading our PFD's.

I stopped in Cabela's while I was in Boise and picked up waterproof bow & thwart bags.

Anyone have input on any additional accessories?

kerry

Expedition Leader
That's a good buy. It is somewhat similar to a boat I own, an 18 1/2' WW III built by Mohawk in the 70's, although mine is glass. Both are big load big water boats. I love mine. The eyelets in the bow and stern are probably designed to hold in air bags. I would get a set and install them.
I second the recommendation to take a basic canoeing class, a basic river canoeing class would also be good. In a boat like that you'll need to perfect your backferrying skills for Class II+ water.

Here's an image from a Basic River Canoeing class I was teaching last weekend on the South Fork of the South Platte River.

Attachments

• kerry in canoe class.jpg
    kerry in canoe class.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

JeepinBear

Explorer
The eyelets in the bow and stern are probably designed to hold in air bags. I would get a set and install them.
Exactly...that's what they had there.

I second the recommendation to take a basic canoeing class, a basic river canoeing class would also be good. In a boat like that you'll need to perfect your backferrying skills for Class II+ water.
We plan on taking a class in June in Jackson Hole.

Here's an image from a Basic River Canoeing class I was teaching last weekend on the South Fork of the South Platte River.
Wicked! Looks like a blast!:Wow1:

kerry

Expedition Leader
If you're going to be running rivers, or even big lakes, I'd put knee pads in it. 1" thick minicell foam is good. Even though it probably has bucket seats, kneeling in turbulent water provides much more stability in my view. If you plan on consistently running rivers in it, I'd also consider thigh straps. They help you lean the boat and transfer body movements to boat movements. If and when you kneel make sure your feet can easily be pulled out from under the seat. Some seats are so low that it is dangerous to kneel because your feet can get stuck under the seat.

Here's a link to a short video of my co-instructor demonstrating a solo front ferry:

http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/dkedwards/?action=view&current=dec1.flv

and a couple of students learning to front ferry in an Old Town Appalachian:

http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/dkedwards/?action=view&current=dec4.flv&newest=1

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal