Looking to buy first landcruiser?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Whitecon...sorry for some of the Jeep comments and digs!

Reading your posts I have the following info to add:

*You are 100% correct. There isn't anything you can do to an 80-series (even like mine at 7+" lift and 35's...37's don't fit into my garage with that lift) that'll make it as capable a trail vehicle as your Wrangler. OK, the Cruiser will be more durable and reliable but it won't keep up in the real difficult stuff...period. You won't hear that on the MUD website.

*Since you want a Expo type of SUV and one that won't hit those top 5% of the hardest-core trails out there...the 100 has far too many advantages over the aged 80-series. Some differences between the two years you are looking at:

97:

*More off-road capable though by a small margin
*More lift choices (2-6")

01:

*Will travel almost anywhere the '97 can
*Lifts limited to 2.75-3" (35's)
*Far more power
*Far more refined (smoother, tighter)
*More reliable across the board (factual)
*More room
*Better air conditioning by far
*Less nickel-and-time trouble stuff to contend with (A/C cutting out, power steering issues, cooling issues, etc)
*Safer...has VSC
*Traction Control is tight and effective and lockers are rarely needed
*FAR superior brakes with larger tires and loads
*And on and on.

My 80-series vehicles, while classics, are no match quality-wise compared to my 2001 100-series. With 150K on my 100 it seems brand new. Both 80's aged well before that. For your needs I'd rate the 2001 as a 9 out of 10 (for you). The 97...maybe a 7. IF you didn't have your LJ for the crazy trails...then the 80 score would raise up to an 8.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I still would like to know what to look out for when purchasing a used Landcruiser in those years.

What specifically are you looking for in the rig? ABSOLUTE reliability across the Gobi or a really nice US highway vehicle with off-road capability?

jeeperaz

Observer
Thanks for all the info and opinions regarding 80's vs 100's but I still would like to know what to look out for when purchasing a used Landcruiser in those years.

FZJ80's - alarming rate of head gasket failure. Mine was one of them.

fowldarr

Explorer
Alarming rate of head gasket failures are usually nearing 200,000, I've never even had another vehicle make it that far (GM, Ford, Dodge), Something worse usually happens before then.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Alarming rate of head gasket failures are usually nearing 200,000, I've never even had another vehicle make it that far (GM, Ford, Dodge), Something worse usually happens before then.

Or if the US makes did make 200K age you'd a already spent way more than the 80's HG repair on other stuff just to get those domestics to run to 200K.

Pokey

Adventurer
Or if the US makes did make 200K age you'd a already spent way more than the 80's HG repair on other stuff just to get those domestics to run to 200K.

..........and how much is it to address the exploding front diff on the 100? or the timing belt at 100k.........pretty much just sank more $$ into your 100 to get it to go 200k than an 80 with pm headgasket job. Just keepin it real.

apples to apples it pretty much comes down to owning a 10 year newer vehicle and paying a bit more to do so up front.

For someone who is handy and does p.m. work himself. The 80 is the defacto burlier bang for the buck investment. For someone who doesnt want to deal with the minor headaches of a 10 year older vehicle or pays a mechanic to do mods/work. The pockets need to be alot deeper to own an 80 and the 100 starts to make alot more sense.

For a couple with 1 small kid- an 80 has alot of room compared to rubi.........100 has more room. It probably depends on how much stuff youd like to carry. The sacrifice to carry more in the 100 comes with a larger/heavier vehicle. If its mainly for the wife and will see lots of onroad use as well.....the 100 will be smoother/friendlier around town and on choppy offroad with the IFS. If your wife doesnt mind the LJ--she probably wont mind the more "truck" feel of the 80/ slightly less carrying capacity and burlier offroadability.

Used 2000 -100series can be had in the $14k range with 100k miles---- then add timing belt and ARB front diff work-----16k-17k and its still stock.
used 1994- 80 series with 100k miles can be had for $7-8k-- add 3k for pm headgasket and 100kmile usuals.......and you have yourself $10-11k into it and its still in stock form.

BOTH will go 200k at that point on and offroad in stock form.

Go to Ih8mud.com and start adding up costs of mild lift--tires--bumpers--sliders and see where you end up total cost wise.

If you have $22k in hand---the 100 will be armored/mildly lifted/ready to go.
If you have $14k in hand----the 80 will be dialed and ready to go.

Both with 100k miles---both set to go another 100k miles---each with its own tradeoffs.

Last edited:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
..........and how much is it to address the exploding front diff on the 100?

apples to apples it pretty much comes down to owning a 10 year newer vehicle and paying a bit more to do so up front.

For someone who is handy and does p.m. work himself. The 80 is the defacto burlier bang for the buck investment. For someone who doesnt want to deal with the minor headaches of a 10 year older vehicle or pays a mechanic to do mods/work. The pockets need to be alot deeper to own an 80 and the 100 starts to make alot more sense.

What's important to you or I doesn't matter in this thread. It's what's best for Whitecon's needs.

80 = 100?

That's not comparing "Apples to Apples" in my book. They might have the same "name" though they are entirely different vehicles. The improvements on the 100 set it apart from the 80 (for most folks' needs). Which is better depends on ones needs and Whitecon has an amazing and dedicated wheeler already. That negates the 80's one small advantage for Whitecon.

Pokey

Adventurer
edited my post-

typically for the orig.poster--it will come down to investment decision and how much total $ you have./want to spend.

Shotts- whats a good ballpark total $$ you have in your 100 including purchase price/mods?? for example purposes to the Orig.Poster.

Last edited:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
edited my post-

typically for the orig.poster--it will come down to investment decision and how much total $ you have./want to spend.

Shotts- whats a good ballpark total $$ you have in your 100 including purchase price/mods?? for example purposes to the Orig.Poster.

Very true on investment dollars! Money matters.

$77,000 Buying new hurts! Thouogh I've had 8 years of wheeling a 100 on the trails. It's been worth evey penny.

Pokey

Adventurer
My main argument is that MOST people dont start by examining the "end goal" and tradeoffs/options.

For instance- if i had $77k initial investment--and knowing that id add another $5-$10k in mods......what would i do:

-slightly used u100 mog for $60k + $17k mods and a $8k 80 series stocker for around town.

You cant really compare your $80k built 100 series on an apples to apples basis with a $12k built 80 series.........

I would find it hard to believe the original poster standing in front of your 100series would choose it over my 80 series and the $66,000 cash piled in the cargo area.:victory:

Fortunately the prices on the 100 series are dropping like an old ladies tatas so the tradeoff improvements of the 100 over the 80 are a little less costly.

The original poster should seriously look at "already built" versions of both---assess their tradeoffs---and purchase the one that fits his budget. At minimum i would do the math and work my way backwards with the end budget and then what can be had within that budget.

Pokey

Adventurer
First: I'm tring to decide between a 97 40th edition with 99,000mi for $12500and a white 01 with 96,00mi for $16k.
Obviously less expensive is better for the wallet but I would like to know what to look for (problem areas) in both? Reliability is the biggest factor for me. I know the 100 series is a bit more plush on the inside for the wife.
I don't think I'll be installing much more than a OME lift with 33's. :

Problem areas in both----

<10% failure rate on HG for the 80 many of which have failed well after 200k. The above 80 series would have a 90% chance of costing 12,500 and not a cent more in the next 100k miles when it comes to the major reliability issue on the 80.

Shotts may be able to give some statistical probability on the failure rate of timing belts and front diffs after 100k miles on the 100? The above 100 series WILL need a timing belt and WILL be much more likely than 10% chance of blowing the front diff if taken mildly offroad. $16,000 and $2-3k more fairly soon.

"less expensive better for the wallet" and "reliability" which are the two biggest factors from the original post.

Last edited:

phxtlc

Whitecon -

I spend most of my time over on the Mud Board and read stuff on here only once in awhile, but I felt like I'd chime in on this...

Let me first say that you must realize that someone who owns a 100 will say that the 100 is best, someone who has an 80 will say that's the best, and so on and so forth. Nobody will ever tell you "my truck sucks!" will they?

Second, I currently have an 80, in fact it's an 18 year old one. I also was a previous owner of a TJ so I have some experience with Jeeps as well.

Any claim that a 100 is "more reliable" than an 80 is bull**** mine has 1/4 million miles on it, has never had the engine opened more than for a valve job, never has had the tranny open for more than a fluid change, and never has had the axles open for anything other that maintenance. And I've not been the best when it comes to maintaining my vehicles recently.

Now the above statement has to be taken with a grain of salt...if you compare my 92 with a 07 you'd probably find a ton more worn pieces on mine but hopefully I wouldn't have to explain why.

Both the 80 and 100 are great trucks and can do a ton of things, you have to ask yourself what YOU want to do with yours first. If you are only going to take it on wide open trails and not get too hairy I'd probably go 100. If you want to get it down and dirty stick with the 80.

The two biggest off road performance differences IMHO are that the 80 is smaller, and the 80 has a soild front axle.

Really it comes down to $$$$, personally if I think I'm going to bang a truck around I rather spend $5000 than $25000 to do so. It makes those desert pinstripes much easier to deal with :sombrero: Unless of course you plan on walking ahead of the truck and do yard work ;-)

Here's a list of "non maintenance" parts I've had to replace over the past 250k miles.

Starter (contacts)
Alternator (never buy aftermarket)
Thermostat
Radiator (crack in the top tank)
Spedometer Cable ($80)
Air Flow Meter

I could do with a rebuild on my PS pump...$40, and replace the right Birf $350. But if I had to get in an drive it across country right now I'd still feel totally confident.

One more thing...Listen to previous posts, DO NOT make your choice without reading the Mud Board!!! There is more knowledge over there about Cruisers than you'd find anywhere. And trust me, there's plenty of 80 vs 100 discussion for you to review.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I think arguements could be made for any TLC model as they all have strengths and weaknesses. If you want outright reliability, get an FJ80, if you want a blend of offroad ability and comfort go FZJ80, if you want power, supreme comfort and great abilities in the realm of overland style travel, go with the 100. Depends on what you want to spend and what your specific uses are.

Last edited:

lt1fire

Adventurer
I think arguements could be made for any TLC model as they all have strengths and weeknesses. If you want outright reliability, get an FJ80, if you want a blend of offroad ability and comfort go FZJ80, if you want power, supreme comfort and great abilities in the realm of overland style travel, go with the 100. Depends on what you want to spend and what your specific uses are.

True...... only thing i've replaced on my fj80 that wasn't maintenance (front axle job) or upgrades, (lifts bumpers etc) or damage from trails was a radiator. But at 200k that wasn't that bad.
100's can be expensive to keep up. My buddy just spend more in one weekend doing a 100k scheduled maint (I can't believe a new water pump is a 100k replacement item) than i have in quite a few years on my 80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl