Looking to turn a Defender into a Dormobile!

66Landy

Observer
Suggested/Estimated Prices!

Hi All,

Well, Madelyne is gone, and I'm looking into the possibility of building a Defender Dormobile. I've spoken with Bruce, (a friend over in England) who is now helping out at Land Rover Enthusiast, and we may have developed an approach that will work. :luxhello: If anyone is interested, a rough estimate is $25,000 to $30,000 for a re-built 1983 110 with factory Dormobile roof, seats and fridge (no wardrobe, add it if you like from the factory, but most add an engel fridge/freezer and more storage). This is only an estimate, and this is only in the brainstorming stage so nothing is permanent.

Basically, any vehicle 25 years or older can be imported without Federal or State government red tape. Petrol engines have a 1973 or 1975 cut off date for running in the US without EPA and DOT approval. However, diesel engines are not yet regulated and can be imported as the engine in 25 year or older vehicles without any hassel at all.

As you may know, I bought off of UK ebay a 1981 109 with a 2.5 diesel out of a 110. It made it into the US without a single problem. Even California allows diesel imports without any hassel. Since they do not require smog testing, it is easier than petrol engines.

Bruce knows of many garages that are suitable for re-builds, and here are some of his estimates. Remember, these are estimates only.

>A 110 around that age is £3000, engine gearbox and mods £3000, dormie bits >£4000 around £2000 for labour say £12,000 although depending on condition >could be cheaper add £2000 for shipping.so around $25000 - $30000 would be >a good start. for that it would be a virtually rebuilt car. A 90 or 110 >without dormie bits would be around the $20,000 including shipping. there >are a lot of 1983 age around and with high mileages so new bits would be >required. If a workshop had a production line then it might be possible to >do a real deal. there are a number of garages in England that could do it >and since I am doing regular trips for the mag and they are all advertisers >it would be fairly easy to keep things monitored.

Since Bruce works for LRE now, the magazine is even considering doing an article on a Defender into Dormobile rebuild. He mentioned that the 60th anniversary is coming up and this might be an interesting tie-in for the celebrations.

Well, let me know if anyone is interested. I've started talking to my wife about it, but she seems pretty set about re-building our second floor before I re-build a Defender. I'm very persuasive though, I did get her to agree to owning two 109s at the same time once! :)

Cheers,

Carey
:clapsmile

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Just a thought...

The British military has a training grounds in Northern Alberta and went through the process of importing a number of Rovers. They are all left hand drive diesels with low KM but otherwise beaten to hell and back. These Rovers are legally registered in Canada the military has been selling them off. here is an example:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=27674018&pgno=1&srt=1

There are a bunch for sale in Calgary right now like this one:

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/...02317/1998_LAND_ROVER_DEFENDER_138000kms.aspx (I think that is actually a typo - it's not a 1998, although there were a few that new)

Edit: remember prices are in CAD dollars and are pretty over-inflated. Some of those trucks have been sitting unsold because they are beat-up and prices are high inflated because of all these RHD JDM Land Cruisers coming in and being so popular.

So my thought here is I think these were a special case and are actually government approved. You may be able to get one of those from Canada and legally register it eventhough it is newer than 25 yrs. Not sure, but it might be worth a look at least.

Pete

66Landy

Observer
Canadian Import

Canada can legally import any vehicle 15 years or older. But, you can't bring them into the US just because they were brought into Canada. The US still requires they be 25 years old or older. Now, the government bringing them in might change that around, but I don't know how that applies.

Even if I can bring in the Canuckers, I would then have to pay freight for the Dormobile parts over here, plus buy another roof over in the UK to have Dormobile alter it. (Dormobile takes your 110 roof and cuts hole in it to install their lifting roof mechanism, same as Detec from Germany.) The crating and shipping is more for that than just shipping a vehicle. Plus, then I have to install the parts over here.

I have thought about shipping a 15 year old to Canada, and then bringing it in and "re-building" a 109 I buy here in the states using all of the Canada donor parts, but then you have to worry about insurance claiming you just switched paperwork (which is essentially what would be done).

Thanks for the thought, but I think the UK route is cheaper, I would have a rebuilt one from the land of cheap parts, and have Dormobile do all the install work there. However, I will keep looking on the site to see if I can find a cheap kick-about until my dream Defender Dormobile comes through!

Cheers,

Carey

66Landy

Observer
Dormy takes a backseat!

Well,
We're moving to Washington and re-doing the second floor is going to cost more than we thought, so my fun money is going into the building fund. It looks like it will be a few years before I'm back on track with the 110 conversion. I'll check back in if anything changes.

Later,

Carey

aricea

For anyone else interested, a similar lifting-roof is available from Tom Hurndall at www.safari-equip.co.uk. I've included two photos below. The last time I checked, these weren't posted on their website, but they were planning to market them in kit form very soon.

I believe the last picture may be the 110 Dormobile in the NW which prompted this conversation and my own curiosity with pop-top Defender campers...

- Aric

pwc

Explorer
Carey, where in Washington did you end up?
I'm recently getting back into turning my truck into more of a long range cmaping 110, but also gave up on the Dormobile idea, even though my wife liked it.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
So what exactly is a Dormobile??? I see it apears to be a pop top Defender 110 (or 130??) but other than that what are the specifics?? Or is it like a "westfalia" and more of a model name??

Andrew It's starting, I'm spending an inordinate ammount of time pouring through the LR forums and less time in the Toyota forums...

Cheers

Dave

TeriAnn

Explorer
4Rescue said:
So what exactly is a Dormobile??

topGraphic2.jpg

"WHEN YOU BUY A DORMOBILE CARAVAN YOU BUY A NEW WAY OF LIFE"

Read all about Land Rover Dormobiles

5DormiPABFM.jpg

DM_PABFM96.jpg

TeriAnn

Explorer
Chucaro said:
It is this what you are looking for?
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/672.html

Some interesting history. I trailed with that Land Rover from Canada to the Mexican border. At the time it was your standard US spec D110. Not long after spending a couple weeks traveling with a Land Rover Dormobile, the owner sent his D110 to East Coast Rover to have it converted into a Dormobile

Coincidence? Or just someone who know a good thing when he saw it. :drool:

Chucaro

Adventurer
Hi TeriAnn
I like to congratulate you for your very interesting page. Excellent source of information for the ones with 'itchy feet" like me who cannot stay in one place for more than a year.
With my wife we traveled in a motorcycle for a few years (some times towing a trailer) then we have a 109 1978 with a 3.5 V8 (we regrete that we sold it), built a motorhome based in a 21 seater Mazda 3500 bus and now we have a Disco Tdi300 and a trailer. We are planning to hit the road again and considering a Land Rover County 110 1986 with a 3.9 Isuzu engine.
What I am curious about is which kind of reinforcement (if any) is required in the body of the County once we cut the roof for the pop up part.
What you think about making the pop up roof in aluminium ?
Here in Australia, we do not have fiber glass roofs ready made for Landys and I am handy with aluminium.
This is something similar to what I am referring to
154.jpg

Looking forward for your reply
Chhers
Chucaro

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
4Rescue said:
So what exactly is a Dormobile??? I see it apears to be a pop top Defender 110 (or 130??) but other than that what are the specifics?? Or is it like a "westfalia" and more of a model name??

That's exactly what it is like. Dormobile did camper conversions for all sorts of vehicles.

gs1.jpg
T1_Dormobile.jpg

4Rescue said:
Andrew It's starting, I'm spending an inordinate ammount of time pouring through the LR forums and less time in the Toyota forums...

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Chucaro said:
What I am curious about is which kind of reinforcement (if any) is required in the body of the County once we cut the roof for the pop up part.
What you think about making the pop up roof in aluminium ?

This is something similar to what I am referring to
154.jpg

Yes there is a frame around the roof cut out and reinforcement bars at each end of the cut out. These keep the cut edges from deforming and adds strength to hold the top bunks.

A hinged roof similar to the one you show was my initial solution. I decided upon a Dormobile roof because it was an already designed bolt on solution with top beds and a roof vent. Propane cookers produce water vapour and the roof vent helps get it out before it condenses on the underside of the roof and rains inside. I think a hinged LR roof is a good low cost solution but I'm sure it can be done without a brace in the middle of the rear entrance.

There is no reason why you can not side hinge the stock roof on an adapter spacer and add stays to keep a canvas in place like the Dormobiles do.

If you car clever you could do a side hinged top & a couple sheets of plywood for a top double bed.

convRearOpen.JPEG

There are many ways to create solutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk