Love Boat build!

To do list:
Instal rear air ride setup and tweak suspension (probably add another inch)
Instal rocker guards
A crap load of wiring
Inverter and cell booster
Finish dual battery setup
Finish roof rock
Drinking water storage
Hot water
Suspension seats
Selectable locker

Almost there!!!

So after they ordered in a universal air ride kit the spring shop said that there is not enough room to instal air bags so we added a load carrying leaf instead, got the new tires on, tweaked the suspension and installed the rockers (what a pain) Lol now I need longer shocks for the rear and we've developed a bit of vibrations. Installed a tcase drop kit but still vibes at around 60km and when you put it in reverse. I'm going to add 4 degree pinion angle shims and see if that helps. I also finished the roof rack! :D progress!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

No other pics sorry! And she's back in my shop with the front axle pulled apart! Ujoint fun!!!!! :D
I'll post up some more pics soon! She's lookin good! :)

Installed 4 degree pinion angle shims, replaced front axle ujoints, hub/bearing assembly and shimed the transferase skid plate (they made contact in reverse with the transfer case drop, hence the reverse vibes)
Also got some new gear. 2000w sine wave inverter and maxtrax! I opted for the maxtrax over a land anchor because I think I will get more use out of them for simple recoveries! Lol I can always burry a tire if a winch point is needed.
Now to figure out how and where to mount the inverter. My original plan to mount it on the side of the kitchen is botched because after reading the instructions it can only be max 6' from a battery with 0 gauge wire and the terminals aren't big enough to accept larger wire so some rethought on this is nessasary. Lol still no shot of her with her new boots! Lol
View attachment 351911
View attachment 351912
View attachment 351913
image.jpg
image.jpg

Spent yesterday morning trying to finish my roof rack. If you noticed in the beginning of this thread I built my own roof rack clamps. Well I wanted 4 more built to help distribute the weight but wasn't looking forward to making them again. It was very time consuming. 1/4" and 3/16" isn't the easiest steel to use hand tools on. Lol so I talked to a local stainless guy about fabing some up for me. Well crap I wish I had of done this to begin with. They turned out awesome. They're made out of 1/8" and a bit larger but lite still and I don't have to paint them!
View attachment 352064

View attachment 352065

View attachment 352066

View attachment 352067

image.jpg

Lol stainless is damn tough! My cheap Canadian tire drills don't like going through it lol so I'm going to have to get buddy to drill them for me when he polishes them up.
So close! Just waiting on new longer rear shocks and wiring. :D

2drx4

Adventurer
Drilling stainless can be a real PITA. Sharp bits, slow the speed down, use Rapid Tap or something like that to keep them cool/lubricated, and if it heats up without cutting you're hooped because it hardens the stainless.

That rack looks good so far, should be nice and sturdy.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Stainless can be fun to drill depending on the alloy. A machinist drilled some parts for me as he didn't want me touching his carbide drill bits.

So I got the roof rack mounts back drilled and polished! Beauty! :) mounted the roof rack and took her on a shake down run. :D used it as acomadations for my buddies wedding and other than my rear shocks being too short and no accessories wired we gotta say we are very happy with it so far! :D
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeee! :D
image.jpeg
And tomorrow I drop er of for the one thing I'm gun shy with, Electrical. If it was one or two things I'd be ok but I've got switches, USB ports. GPS, inverter and cooler all to be hard wired. New stereo, cell booster, light bar, light pods front and rear, dual battery setup and a alarm. Lol as the list got longer I got more overwhelmed and decided to seek to help of a professional. The last thing I want is to be 300km from anything and have my inexperienced skills fail on me. Lol I know there are a few different trains of thought here like if I did it id know where to fix it, and just cause they're professionals doesn't mean... yada yada yada. Lol I have better peice of mind knowing that the guy who installed my electrical is passionate about his job and has been doing it for 30+ years. Blah blah blah lol k I'm done rambling

All wired up! :D now to just put it all back together before the long weekend! We will finally get to have a complete trial run! :D can't wait to make margaritas from the back of the jeep!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well it's been an absolute gong show since my last post! Found out the the gas tank was only 16 gallons! No good! Tracked down an aftermarket 30.5 gallon tank made by Genright, Exhaust was full of holes, radiator blew, so new water pump, thermostat, rad, belt and hoses, ac stopped working so had to pillage parts from my other 2 xjs, all the control arm and shackle bushing turned out to be shot now that I've added all this weight, tranny cooler line went, some of the wiring that was done needed to be redone and we still need rear wheel bearings done, welding and paint and we depart this Friday! Gaaaaah! :) the crunch is on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk