Low Buck 3rd Gen 4Runner Build

Mr. Optimist

Good looking 3rd gen! I have one and love it.

2nd perch on the front 5100s? How do you like the empty ride with the 891 springs? Panhard or diff drop?

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Good looking 3rd gen! I have one and love it.

2nd perch on the front 5100s? How do you like the empty ride with the 891 springs? Panhard or diff drop?

Yep 2nd notch. I thought it would be more jarring empty. Its a ton firmer than the stock ride, but soaks up big bumps much better. I can romp through dips and certain uneven areas of pavement that I was previously braking for because it got a little too wild in the cab at speed.
I would guess that's from the progressive coils front and rear but I'm no suspension engineer.

Only negative I've seen so far is both my inner cv boots have squirted a little grease out from under the outer clamps. I was planning on stretching the bellows if needed but everything was looking good when I put it back together. Ill pull the clamps and install some worm clamps so I can rack them down with a socket and hopefully keep the grease in.

No diff or panhard drop, no brake line extension in the rear right now either. At full droop the brake line is extended but nothing crazy. Ill probably add a longer brake line in the rear later for peace of mind.

All in all very happy, especially for the money spent.

Mr. Optimist

I have the Tundra/5100 on the 1st perch on the front with 906/5100 in back. I have been thinking of cranking up the 5100s and swapping the rear coils, so I was curious as to your experience.

I am trying to get a little more load capacity before it goes all squatty in the back.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I have the Tundra/5100 on the 1st perch on the front with 906/5100 in back. I have been thinking of cranking up the 5100s and swapping the rear coils, so I was curious as to your experience.

I am trying to get a little more load capacity before it goes all squatty in the back.

I would say go for it.

Put about 100 highway miles on it yesterday and is smooth as can be at 80mph. Couldn't be happier with it for the $.

I plan on doing a rear bumper with spare mount and a couple can carriers so ill be interested to see how it rides once I get that built and installed.

I had a little grease squeezing out from under the clamps on the inner boots. There is almost no tension on these clamps, I've seen other people swapped them for worm clamps so that's what I decided to do.

20160909_102103 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160909_112158 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Very nice so far, keep it up. Jealous of the E-locker rear...

Thank you sir. The E locker was one of the things that really sold me on this particular 4runner. Its worked well the couple times ive engaged it on the trail.

That bumper trim is clean

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Thanks!

Heres the side view.

20160912_164148 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I cut it just outside this mount so no need to add zipties or anything. The plastic is just as well attached as it ever was.

20160912_163929 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Haven't done much with this truck but drive it all over.

Still loving the ride of the 5100's and new springs.

Picked up a set of FJ wheels that had plasti dip all over them. Most of it sprayed too thin to peel off so after a half day with some goof off and a toothbrush they are looking pretty good.

Much nicer then the wheels that are on there now, the stock ones are pretty corroded.
Normally for a truck like this I'd just spray them black and move on but I'm interested in doing the Tundra front brake upgrade soon and read that my stock wheels wont clear without grinding. Since they were in such poor shape I decided it was a good time to replace them.

20160929_160547 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Not too bad for 40 bucks each :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal