Low buck 4Runner ($4K) for high school student.

lowebro

hey all.
I am completely new to overlanding. I am in high school and have a strict budget of $4K. I have done a good amount of research on older rigs and have set my mind on a 2nd gen 4runner, specifically 1994-1995 because of improved safety (airbags and added side impact protection). $3K seems to going rate for a 4runner with 150K-200K in good condition. This would leave $1K for mods, a tent, sleeping pads, bags, food prep, and recovery gear. I am looking at doing mainly short weekend trips in southern California. HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP. Where should my priorities be mod and gear wise? Anything I should be watching for when purchasing a vehicle? Should I be looking at other vehicles in the same price range? And lastly any general words of wisdom for starting off?

Thanks a lot
-lowebro

Arktikos

Explorer
This is a good choice, given your budget. If you get the 3.0, make sure it's had the head gasket recall done. I'd say ZERO vehicle mods. Spend any extra money, after tent and other outdoor gear, on maintenance items.

Arktikos

Explorer
Oh, BTW, don't believe 4Runners had airbags until 3rd generation, which would be '96. Dunno about side protection, but suspect it's the same story-none until '96.

volkinator

Not sure on Cali, but I found my 3rd gen for $3k. If you can find the 99+ there were lots of creature comforts, and you get OBDII and even more safety stuff as well as the 5VZ-FE, and some 3rd gens give you the rear locker. Either way, biggest thing with older vehicles is maintenance history. Find something that's been well cared for. If you find that, mileage is pretty irrelevant. With any of them, just look for rust, but being in Cali you might not have to worry about that as much.

As far as modding, a stock T4R will get you almost anywhere you want to go. K.I.S.S. Seriously, don't go overboard on mods. Start stock and figure out what you need. I think knowledge is critical, so learn as much as you can from members here. Know your vehicle and how to take care of yourself and anyone with you. Learning from experience as well. Go on weekend trips, if you forget something or come up with things that would give you comfort/convenience, write them down and try again. Don't expect it to come right away, but just be prepared.

Vehicle gear: Besides general maintenanceTires will be number 1 for traction and a tire repair kit. If you're going solo, probably some recovery boards (maxtrax) and a strap/shackles so others can help, esp. if there's sand involved. Also basic tools/zip ties/ pipe clamps, etc. can be very helpful

Camping stuff: Find used gear from friends/family or see if you can borrow/rent things before buying. Again, a lot of this will be dictated by what you need. Start with inexpensive pieces. One thing I've learned though to contradict that, splurge on a good sleeping pad, a good nights rest can be an amazing thing!

Otherwise just get out there and have fun!

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Vehicle gear: Besides general maintenanceTires will be number 1 for traction and a tire repair kit. If you're going solo, probably some recovery boards (maxtrax) and a strap/shackles so others can help, esp. if there's sand involved. Also basic tools/zip ties/ pipe clamps, etc. can be very helpful

Camping stuff: Find used gear from friends/family or see if you can borrow/rent things before buying. Again, a lot of this will be dictated by what you need. Start with inexpensive pieces. One thing I've learned though to contradict that, splurge on a good sleeping pad, a good nights rest can be an amazing thing!

Otherwise just get out there and have fun!

My parent's old stuff has been great! Their older Coleman stove, lanterns, percolator, and random odds and ins have been awesome for me.

I bought a new cheaper Coleman tent, single air-mattress and battery pump, tarps, shower bag, and para-cord through amazon, and built a shower to hang from a tree using a hula-hoop, shower curtains, and para-cord.

Don't feel a need to invest in the top of the line! You'll figure out later on where your luxury money gets to go, vehicle and supplies wise.

Also! always save money for repairs and maintenance as they will always come up, big and small.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Agreed, don't rush into mods. Make sure it's reliable- that is item 1
Tires, if it needs them. Street tires with lowered pressure can take you many places. Once you've driven it for a while put together a plan. Remember that anything you change can lead to more costs.
Bigger tires lead to lift kits and gear changes. Lift kits lead to driveshaft concerns. ... I could go on.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
If you don't have any camp gear, that's your priority. A stock 4Runner will go a lot of places.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Tons of places a stock T4R can go. Especially in Southern CA. Like said, tires should be first when it comes time to mod.

I've been all over Anza Borrego and Big Bear and many other places around here with my stock truck and its always done fine. Only real "mod" I've done is tires. A stock 4 runner will do better than my stock truck too so you should be fine.

Plus, there is a big T4R following in the area and there are always different trail runs of various difficulty levels and group meet ups you can attend. Join t4r.org if you haven't already.

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer
hey all.
I am completely new to overlanding. I am in high school and have a strict budget of $4K. I have done a good amount of research on older rigs and have set my mind on a 2nd gen 4runner, specifically 1994-1995 because of improved safety (airbags and added side impact protection). $3K seems to going rate for a 4runner with 150K-200K in good condition. This would leave $1K for mods, a tent, sleeping pads, bags, food prep, and recovery gear. I am looking at doing mainly short weekend trips in southern California. HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP. Where should my priorities be mod and gear wise? Anything I should be watching for when purchasing a vehicle? Should I be looking at other vehicles in the same price range? And lastly any general words of wisdom for starting off?

Thanks a lot
-lowebro

I know you said you did your research, but if you think 2nd gen 4runners came with airbags then I would recommend reading more. As someone posted above airbags were not available until the 3rd gen in 1996. Side impact beams were added to the doors for the 1994 model year. I own a 1994 4runner and absolutely love it, but these trucks are old and it absolutely will require maintenance especially given your price point. If you are looking to depend on a 20 plus year old vehicle to deliver you safely from your adventures maintenance should be your top priority. Since you will most likely end up with the 3VZE you should read the link below. It details all of the common problems and preventative measures needed to make this engine run well for a long time. In generally, the 3VZE gets a bad rap, but I blame that mostly on the head gasket failure (a header design issue) and being surrounded by two of the most reliable engines Toyota has ever built (22RE and 5VZE). Additionally, make sure you confirm the head gaskets have been done if it is a 3VZE. If the owner/dealer has no proof or they have not been done I highly recommend walking away. Many should have been performed by Toyota during the recall campaign, however there is no guarantee.

What you should know about the 3VZE

Additionally, these 2nd gen trucks have great proportions for offroading and have a robust IFS system. Unless you are sagging horribly it can take 33x10.50 tires with no lift. I need to update my build thread but you can read through it for a few ideas. In general the 2nd gen 4runner is both durable and capable while offering a low price of entry due to its under appreciated nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL