LPG and cooking fuels generally in expedition vehicles

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
I decided on a single fuel system despite a couple of reservations about the convenience factor.
Webasto diesel cooktop and webasto diesel water heater, calorifier and fan-forced heating with engine pre-heating and engine heating of the calorifier thrown in. It all adds a fair bit of complexity, especially extras like two tempering valves - one for the shower and one for the sink - but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run. Cooking does take a bit of extra messing around juggling a couple of pots, but I think it will be easy to get used to.

Instant coffee is taken care of by a cheap square-wave inverter driving an electric kettle with an 1100 watt element. Much quicker than waiting for the webasto to fire up, especially for a quick roadside stop.

main rationale was the universal availability of diesel compared with the pain of sourcing LPG, especially when passing through different countries.

------------------

Obviously the camper is not single fuel at all and needs a fair investment in solar and batteries to power the electrics for the diesel burners and to power the compressor fridges.

Like Peter, our OKA has no generator (other than the one driven by the engine of course). No mains input either, but I do carry one of those el-cheapo 4 amp chargers that can be used to top up batteries if necessary. don't expect to have to use it though.

Last edited:

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Webasto diesel cooktop

Well after several weeks of cooking on the Webasto cooktop, we are very happy with it. It does take some adjustment, specifically:
* Wake up in morning and first thing is turn the cooktop on and put on a kettle full of water, then go to the "washroom", get dressed etc. In other words "think ahead" and realise it does take extra time to heat up and it's not just "instant heat"
* Most things work well, although the wife does say her "stir frys" are more like "stew frys" but I think this is perhaps a little unkind as I'm a Connoisseur of her stir fries and I thought they were just as good on the Webasto as on LPG.
Bandicoot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater