lr-3 vs lr-4

Hi Thanks Overland expo! I have been a die hard jeep guy but at the expo i drove the lr-4 and the range rover. man I loved them but I nearly have haert failure when I look at the $$. So can some of you land rover guys explain the difference in the Lr-4 and the Lr-3 specifically as it relates to overland and off roading? for example what is the HSE package on the Lr-4.? Can you get a a center locker and rear locker on the Lr-4 on the lr-3? what kind of mods can be accomplished with the lr-3 and 4 such as fitting larger tires? 33 Inch tires with higher side walls? how do you lift them mildly 2-3 inches? Are center and rear lockers available on the lr-3? what is the best year for the lr-3? and anything else that I should ask but don't know to ask. Thanks maybe I'll have to change my name from jeep or tacoma to LR?

PhyrraM

Adventurer
There will be others with better/more detailed info....

The LR3 and LR4 are basically the same truck. The LR4 is an update of the LR3. They share the same suspension type and engineering, even if some of the details changed.

The LR3 has a 4.4liter jaguar based V8 @ 300 HP while the LR4 has it bumped to 5.0 liters and 400 HP. There are V6 LR3s, but they don't seem to be common. They use a Ford SOHC 4.0 V6 so that might be an advantage if you ever need engine internals (most externals won't swap with an Explorer)

All have a computer controlled locking center differential. AWD is the normal mode and the computer can lock to 'traditional' 4WD. It's considered very effective.

All have an OPTIONAL HD package that includes a computer controlled locking rear diff. You cannot manually select the locker. It is also considered very effective.

All have a very good traction control system that uses the brakes to simulate a locker when needed. Many folks say it makes the real locker redundant, I say drive both first or just find one with the rear locker. Otherwise the traction control is generally considered the best in the industry.

The LR3 interior is more utilitarian, which some prefer for an overlander. The LR4 interior has softer textures and is considered more luxurious.

The V8 LR3 will accept 18" wheels and tires. The V6 models will accept some 17" wheels, but there is a good selection of 18" tires so most don't follow that path. Because of larger brakes, the LR4 will only accept VERY limited $election$ of 18" wheels, so your usually stuck with OEM 19" wheels that have a crap selection of tires. A few have tried wheel spacers and 18" wheels, but there is no long term data yet.

Both LR3 and LR4 have adjustable height air suspension and 4 wheel independent suspension.

Both are VERY heavy, but strong.

HSE is a trim level, the highest. The trim level doesn't have anything to do with any off-road type of options. The rear locker can be had with any trim.

32" seems to be the limit on a stock truck.

Lifts can be accomplished with either a software tool or modified linkages to the height sensors. Essentially you pump the airbags up. There are no 'hardware' lifts like most trucks. It does have a separate frame, but I've never heard of a body lift being attempted. I'm guessing that the frame and body are tightly integrated.

There is a surprising amount of protection related aftermarket available. F/R bumpers, winch mounts, sliders, skids.

Last edited:

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Most will say to get an LR3 that is 2008+, but I'm not sure why. Most of the upgrades were software, and the later software can be installed on the 2005-2007 trucks. I'm sure someone will fill in details on earlier years.

The LR4 switched from a 6 speed auto to an 8 speed auto around 2011 (Only diesels?). All LR3s had 6 speed autos.

Ball joints, tie rods and suspension bushings seem to wear faster than normal cars. Some early LR3s had failing front diffs from the factory. It seems that most of those have worked their way through the warranty system and out of rotation by now. The suspension can drop to the bumpstops if it sees an error on the trail. Carry a code reset device for those occurrences. Those seem to be the top problems that get discussed the most on a well maintained truck. Maintenance is key, like any other higher end car.

For trail work I, personally, don't see making the jump from a cheaper used LR3 to an LR4. It's only when you will need/use the extra 100 HP that separates them on the trail. Right now, that 100HP and softer dash makes you jump from $15K-$25K (used LR3) to $40K-$50 (used LR4). If your also gonna daily drive it, go to town on the weekends, or haul the kids to football practice then the LR4 gains ground.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
HSE is a trim level, the highest.

HSE was the highest trim level on the LR3.

Most LR4's are HSE package, which includes the 7 seat package, climate package, and Navigation. There is the HSE Luxury package available on the LR4, which adds better seats, adaptive/xenon headlights, cooler box in the console, power steering column, memory seats, and some other features.

PTB

Observer
On the early LR3s, the HSE came with the third row seats, which were also an option on the SE. Also on the early models the HD package ("locking" rear diff) came with a full size spare. The full size spare was also an option independent of the HD package (in other words, full size spare does not necessarily mean HD package).

From what I have seen, the most obvious trim difference between the LR4 and LR3 is the center console/stack. Very different look between the two.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The LR3 is a rugged but technologically dated machine. The LR4 is even on the cusp of being technologically outdated.

In off road conditions, they will perform roughly the same. With a slight edge to the LR4 because of updated traction control systems.

Also a correction in this thread, ALL LR4's have the 6 speed auto. 2012-on diesel variant Discovery 4's have the 8 speed (not available in the US)

Mack73

Adventurer
The LR3 is a rugged but technologically dated machine. The LR4 is even on the cusp of being technologically outdated.

Not sure what you mean here, care to explain? Yes the Nav on the LR3 looks dated (but the evoque is not much better, I wish they would source somthing other than navtec). Yes the LR3 bluetooth could be better, but works fine.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The whole radio layout... green LCD screen, way too many buttons... Its clunky and complex to use. It works fine, but compared to most other vehicles in its class from 2006-2009 it was lagging behind.

racehorse

Adventurer
There will be others with better/more detailed info....

The LR3 and LR4 are basically the same truck. The LR4 is an update of the LR3. They share the same suspension type and engineering, even if some of the details changed.

The LR3 has a 4.4liter jaguar based V8 @ 300 HP while the LR4 has it bumped to 5.0 liters and 400 HP. There are V6 LR3s, but they don't seem to be common. They use a Ford SOHC 4.0 V6 so that might be an advantage if you ever need engine internals (most externals won't swap with an Explorer)

All have a computer controlled locking center differential. AWD is the normal mode and the computer can lock to 'traditional' 4WD. It's considered very effective.

All have an OPTIONAL HD package that includes a computer controlled locking rear diff. You cannot manually select the locker. It is also considered very effective.

All have a very good traction control system that uses the brakes to simulate a locker when needed. Many folks say it makes the real locker redundant, I say drive both first or just find one with the rear locker. Otherwise the traction control is generally considered the best in the industry.

The LR3 interior is more utilitarian, which some prefer for an overlander. The LR4 interior has softer textures and is considered more luxurious.

The V8 LR3 will accept 18" wheels and tires. The V6 models will accept some 17" wheels, but there is a good selection of 18" tires so most don't follow that path. Because of larger brakes, the LR4 will only accept VERY limited $election$ of 18" wheels, so your usually stuck with OEM 19" wheels that have a crap selection of tires. A few have tried wheel spacers and 18" wheels, but there is no long term data yet.

Both LR3 and LR4 have adjustable height air suspension and 4 wheel independent suspension.

Both are VERY heavy, but strong.

HSE is a trim level, the highest. The trim level doesn't have anything to do with any off-road type of options. The rear locker can be had with any trim.

32" seems to be the limit on a stock truck.

Lifts can be accomplished with either a software tool or modified linkages to the height sensors. Essentially you pump the airbags up. There are no 'hardware' lifts like most trucks. It does have a separate frame, but I've never heard of a body lift being attempted. I'm guessing that the frame and body are tightly integrated.

There is a surprising amount of protection related aftermarket available. F/R bumpers, winch mounts, sliders, skids.

This was about as good as an assessment as I've read. I have a built 06. Tons of aftermarket for the LR3s as well as the LR4s. The price of a new LR4 would steer me back to an LR3 if I had to buy another.

goinsurfin

Observer
Since I own a 06 HSE, I'll add for reference that mine has the HD pkg with locking diff, full size spare and D110 rear mudflaps (I added those myself) and a Yakima rack for gear. The only feature not on this one was satelitte radio. It had to be ordered from the factory. I could add it as an aftermkt if I really wanted to. Otherwise, its as "loaded" as can be. Today, I'm at 105k and will most likely have it for at least another 50k. It is a solid driver on the road and super comfortable on gravel roads/trails. I prefer the utilitarian interior feel along with the (black/alpaca) color scheme over straight black.

Overall, its been a great runner but you need to keep up with all maintenance to keep it as a solid runner. One this special about mine ride is that it is 100% documented with every little detail ever done to it. That to me adds major value to for the next owner...
Would I go for another LR3/4, absolutely but I would consider leasing a LR4 for the family and look for a ROW 110 or NAS 90 SW as a DD... Have fun!

nuclearmonkey

Observer
FWIW, my wife has a 2008 LR3, my mom has a 2011 LR4. There is really not much comparison between the two as a daily driver. I was amazed at how much nicer the LR4 is in not only available power, but it's suspension and ride quality as well. At the time, my dad had a 2011 Range Rover as well. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference blindfolded between the LR4 & the RR. As for the LR3, it's quite obvious. Not to say I don't like my wife's truck, but every time we drive the 4, it's obvious there's much more to the 4 than a badge.

Hope this helps.. YMMV

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I was amazed at how much nicer the LR4 is in not only available power, but it's suspension and ride quality as well. At the time, my dad had a 2011 Range Rover as well. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference blindfolded between the LR4 & the RR.

This is truth, I hear people say it all the time. New RR 2013+ is a different story but the LR4 rides and drives at least as well as any Range Rover 2006-2012.

Magnus

Observer
I have the European Discovery 3 HSE -08 with 2,7 V6 diesel. The stock front bumper is bigger than on the Disco4/LR4, easier to fit a winch, there is also more space under the hood if you want to fit an extra battery or air compressor, not sure how the V8s compare between the models but you might want to check this before you decide.

Mine have adaptive xenon lights, memory seats, cooler box etc so you may find these features on a regular HSE as well. At least here in Europe.

Magnus

Observer
Mine is a five seater, if you don't need the extra seats you will save some weight on an already heavy car...

Ray_G

Explorer
The whole radio layout... green LCD screen, way too many buttons... Its clunky and complex to use. It works fine, but compared to most other vehicles in its class from 2006-2009 it was lagging behind.

Don't you think this is true of every Land Rover amidst its year group over time? They seem to revel in being obsolete from the moment they enter the market in terms of these things.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online