LR3 Buildout

gbarba

Really nice looking truck. I'm a fellow Oregonian - I actually grew up in Eugene - that is about to add a Zermatt silver LR3 to my stable. The truck I am buying is an 2008 with 55K on it, crazy how little some of these have been driven 11 years later.
It really is crazy – these things are meant to be driven. Hit me up if you're down in the Eug or would like to go on an adventure, whether it's in the LR or the Lexus!

gbarba

Over the weekend, the LR3 got new front lower control arms with orange poly-bushings along with new sway bar poly-bushings (Lucky8 kit).

All the other front suspension bits had plenty of life left in them, so now it just needs to be driven more – 71k miles and counting. The old bushings were completely shot and the clunking was getting pretty impressive, so it's nice to drive around now without feeling like the truck is a geriatric old man with joint problems. The ride is noticeably firmer with the poly-bushings, but I don't have a point of comparison to the ride quality on fresh factory bushings to really assess it. With the new control arms, the alignment was so wonky that the sensors caused all the traction control/HDC/basically everything else to start malfunctioning, so I got to witness the Christmas tree dash for the first time. Fingers crossed I don't see that again anytime soon. Fortunately the alignment sorted that all out and it rides really well now.

(Also put in the brass coolant bleeder T as an insurance policy.)

brass.jpg

gbarba

Christmas came early! In the next few weeks the LR3 is getting a steel front bumper along with some extra lighting (Baja Designs LP6 Pro x2 and Squadron Amber fog lights) and a Warn Zeon 10-S winch. After looking around for a long time, I finally dove in with all the recent discounts.

I'm hoping to have everything sorted out around Christmas and am stoked to get out and play in the snow. More to come ?

thumbnail_IMG_4050.jpg

Also, after riding on the polybushings for a while, I've noticed a stiffer ride and a slight vibration to the steering as well. It's all pretty subtle and not a huge departure from stock, but the vibration is definitely there.

Jwestpro

Explorer
if anyone's in the Willamette Valley area and would like to do some roving, please hit me up!

What a great thread you started. I loved seeing the location photos having fun as well as the various things you did for it to suit your travel style. I'm in Tacoma but come down that way several times a year for either mtb riding or nordic skiing, Mt Hood or Bachelor.

gbarba

Earlier this week my wife made a fateful comment: “I’m really not interested in Land Rover things.”

Now what exactly are Land Rover things? The truck itself, or all the accessories - steel bumpers and gizmos that go along with it? I think it’s much more than that.

After that comment I took it upon myself to prove her wrong, so this weekend we went out to play in the snow. As we carved fresh tire tracks in powdery snow this afternoon, it struck me: these silly trucks that we all put far too much time, energy, money, and effort into represent a great deal of who we want to be. We want to get out to places no one else can. We want to savor the majesty of nature and those moments when we know there’s no one but us for miles in any direction, confident in the knowledge that we’re ready and able to be out there by ourselves and enjoy it. Then, at the end of the day, we want to get home safely and comfortably.

When we finished our hike and sat on the tailgate snacking and drinking freshly brewed coffee, it seemed like things couldn’t get much better. It might take more days like today, but without even knowing it, I’m pretty sure my wife is into Land Rover things. Today, Shackleton, our 3-ton British adventure companion, felt to me like part of the family.

Here’s a few pictures of the new steel bumper from Casey’s Custom (thanks!) with the goods installed. I’m waiting for a few more things to arrive before testing out the winch, but am looking forward to getting out there again next weekend.

IMG_4094.JPG IMG_4105.JPG IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4118.jpg

Happy roving, folks.

OregonGX

Very cool – looking forward to seeing the ARB mounted up! How's it treating you so far?

So far so good. It is a very tedious install but as for the actual bumper, it went on perfectly. The mounts lined up just like they should (an ounce of prevention is worth a lot here, measure, level, torque, measure, level) and the bumper installed perfectly level and the gaps are great.

I brought the headlight washers over and the "t" with the anti-bleed back snapped so I need to get back in to the washer reservoir and change a couple fittings. I also didn't like the way I trimmed that liner so I might change the liner or change how it mounts to the bumper.

The other to-do is actually wiring my winch, I needed to order some split loom and new heat shrink, the wire is routed, it just needs to be properly installed and wired and have it's fairlead and line installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77