LR3 Buying Advice

brdl04

Hello,

Long time lurker but first time poster.

I am looking to buy a lower mileage (100k<) LR3 in the near future. I have a couple of questions regarding the vehicle I am looking for. I have done multiple hours of searching online and have gleaned some knowledge but things aren't quite clear in some areas.

1. What is the best way to test the Air Suspension before purchase for leaks and proper functionality?

2. This is hit and miss advice but maybe someone might be able to clarify.... V6 vs V8? I live in Michigan, do my own work on other SUV's I''ve owned. (1989 Montero, Jeep KJ CRD,) Is there a reliability/ease of work that makes the V6 a better option than the V8?

3. What with each power plant or any LR3 in general, outside of basic used car checking needs to be looked at while at the dealer to make sure I find a decent vehicle.

Now I know Im not going to find a perfect one, but would like to be knowledgeable enough to have peace of mind when purchasing.

I am going to be checking all service records if they are available.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
brdl04:

There is really only one way to know about the LR3's suspension and that is to raise the suspension overnight and see if when you wake the next morning if it is sitting on the bumpstops on any of the 4 corners. (which will indicate that it isn't holding air).
V8 for sure. I had a V6 loaner once and honestly, it was a slug compared to the V8. V6 will yield better mileage but the difference is negligible compared to the improved performance (IMHO).
A truck that has good records from a reputable LR dealer is worth its weight.
Good luck with the search.
D

perkj

Explorer
1. What is the best way to test the Air Suspension before purchase for leaks and proper functionality?
As stated earlier, the only way to do this without splicing a gauge into the lines is to let it sit for a day or two and see where the air bags end up.

2. This is hit and miss advice but maybe someone might be able to clarify.... V6 vs V8? I live in Michigan, do my own work on other SUV's I''ve owned. (1989 Montero, Jeep KJ CRD,) Is there a reliability/ease of work that makes the V6 a better option than the V8?
My vote is the V8 without question, but I know some of the folks that have had the v6s like them. The LR3 is a HEAVY vehicle and imo the extra HP and torque is a benefit. The v8 is pretty rock solid. Any v6 model will be a base model with very little in the way of options.

3. What with each power plant or any LR3 in general, outside of basic used car checking needs to be looked at while at the dealer to make sure I find a decent vehicle.
> You'll want to check all suspension bushings as they fail over time and cause clunking.
> compression test
> check for leaks in the sunroof...the drainage channels can get plugs and cause leaks in the interior.

If you do plan to offroad, I do highly suggest you find an LR3 with the HD package so you get the rear diff lock and the full size spare.

brdl04

Thanks for the advice everyone. It seems like the air suspension will be a toss up then, most dealers don't let you take home a car for a few days to test out the vehicle.

Other than that Im looking forward to getting my first LR. My old co-workers would kill me if they knew what I was buying... :)

roverandom

Adventurer
The most important thing to bear in mind when buying an LR3 is although they have now decreased in value enough that mortal man can afford to buy one, they still cost the same to repair as they did when new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmpolice

The most important thing to bear in mind when buying an LR3 is although they have now decreased in value enough that mortal man can afford to buy one, they still cost the same to repair as they did when new.

Well, love the car. Good to have is a diagnostic tool like a IIDTOOL as it also gives you possibility to lift the car.
Parts are not so expensive. I order from England and the prices are pretty ok.

It's a good daily driver car and work superb offroad. Long travel way for the wheels. A friend compared a D4 to a LC200. The D4:s handling is better, better engine, better steering, better fuel economy. He tried them head to head for a week.

roverandom

Adventurer
Yeah, I like mine as well but they aren't cheap cars to own. Even if they are cheap(er) to buy these days.

brdl04

Thanks all.

I found a 2006 LR3 base. And when I say base I mean no sunroofs or heated seats. But at 70k miles on the V6 at $12k I think it might be worth a look.

perkj

Explorer
Thanks all.

I found a 2006 LR3 base. And when I say base I mean no sunroofs or heated seats. But at 70k miles on the V6 at $12k I think it might be worth a look.

Does it have airbags or springs?

brdl04

I does have terrain response with airbags. Unless the spring lr3s have the knobs and levers too but they are just dummy units. I have not touched the vehicle yet. Looking into it next weekend.

sboada

Observer
Ensure you do you research on the earlier LR3s. I know the earlier LR3s (05-06) had some issues. Can't recall is it was electric or engine based now, it's been a while since I researched, but it was enough to steer me toward an 04 D2 at the time.

brdl04

Ensure you do you research on the earlier LR3s. I know the earlier LR3s (05-06) had some issues. Can't recall is it was electric or engine based now, it's been a while since I researched, but it was enough to steer me toward an 04 D2 at the time.

Wow. 04 D2 over lr3? I would've bet the 04 had many more issues.

perkj

Explorer
I'd agree that it's best to look for a 2007-2009....the 05 and 06s were more prone to problems, many of those problems should have been resolved thru warranty.

alanr

Parts are readily available on Ebay and they are straight forward to work on. V8 is always the better motor but of course a little thirstier.. Ownership experience is second to none and the ride quality is just un-beatable. I just drove across the states in mine and could not help but smile and the end of each day at how brilliantly the LR3 dealt with the various conditions.

Best 4x4 on the road, and in the field. I cannot wait to take a run in the 5.0 motor.

good luck with your search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup