LR3 Model/Tire Questions

Eniam17

Adventurer
I would imagine so but I would want full maintenance records on something with that many miles. 05s wee known to have more quirks but there are plenty of people on here and other forums that have had great luck with them.

A.J.M

Explorer
05 models should be find by now. Most issues were software related.

I would want to see bills for the following or price to have them done.
Front wheel bearings.
Arb bushes all round.
Front lower wishbones for the bushes and ball joints.
Rear upper arms.

Also.
Many of us UK Disco3 owners have had concerns over gearbox oils. LR say it's sealed for life. ZF say it's not.
ZF say change the oils and filter every 100,000 miles, dropping to 70,000 miles for regular tow cars.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
That mileage is kilometres, so about 85,000 miles or about 10,000 miles per year. Yes, agreed on the bills. I work with a LR shop so get a better price on parts and labour but yes, front suspension, and air suspension pump. We've also found a number of issues now with the wiring that runs along the outside of the drivers seat on the floor. Water and salt soaking into the carpets and causing corrosion and resulting issues.
Scotland eh, my family was from the Aberdeen area.

A.J.M

Explorer
From experience and the general verdict from UK indys and the various forums.
LR3/D3's like to be used, one in regular use will be a happy car. Mine covers 1200 miles a month minimum and runs sweet for it.

At 85k, the bushes and bearings will be feeling tired if the originals. I personally went for genuine arms and bushes all round for peace of mind.

HSE sun roofs can leak, they usually just need a wire stuck down the draining pipe to clear it up.

I'm from the Glasgow area, Aberdeen is 3 hours north of me. :)

Colin Hughes

Explorer
We flew in and out of Glasgow last time we were over. It was like dying and going to Land Rover heaven. I had the opportunity to drive a 1950 series 1, a Defender pickup and if I hadn't been overruled by my wife and daughter who wanted to get into St Andrews for some shopping, I'd have taken a Camel Trophy Disco for a run on an off-road course in Cupar Fife.
I average about 500-600 miles per weeks so it will get used on a regular basis.
We bring arms in from Allmakes on a regular basis and I am familiar with many of the issues. Being a Land rover shop and it being run by a master tech, he's seen quite a bit of the issues that arise. Good tip on the sunroofs. Thanks.

A.J.M

Explorer
5-600 miles will keep it very happy indeed.

My own car's only serious issue was the starter failing, which got changed yesterday. Otherwise mine has just needed the usual high mileage wear and tear items changed.

Personally, buying 2nd hand opens up all the models to you, i went for an HSE, i was never going to buy anything other than an HSE, it had to be an auto, with black leather and privacy glass in either black of silver. I later found out mine also had the bi xenon adaptive headlights as well. :D
Some people buy the most basic spec thinking all the toys etc break, but my car's 9 years old now and everything works as well as the day it was made. Plus the HSE has different seats from the other models which are more comfortable.

Mine in the last month got all this fitted to it...
5A800F21-E493-407E-A6BE-357DDDB6F4B0-767-000000ECE01190A1_zps54b45c9e.jpg

AC91C190-D249-4AD8-A07F-425E9225036F-7150-000006129AAB35B3_zpsd671cc9a.jpg

That lot of parts cost me £1300. That was with a very good main dealer discount and parts off ebay. I am limited to 19s for wheels due to the RRS supercharged Brembo calipers but the brakes are far superior to both tdv6 and v8 models. I will have this car for many years to come so spending the cash to sort it out properly makes sense.
Do it once and do it properly.

For tyres, i use Goodyear Duratrac's in 255/55/19 size. I've done 13k in them this year in every terrain possible and have found them great.
Only time i've been stuck with them is due to my own stupidity. haha.
The D3's major weakness is usually wet muddy grass, seen plenty struggle on it and have almost been caught out myself due to the weight of the car.
Switching off DSC and planting the right foot of ignorance has got me out of it though. Not a graceful approach but sometimes needs must.

The other choice for UK guys is the GG AT, a good all round tyre but it's not as good in mud or snow as the Dura in my experience.
There is a Pirelli ATR, however, they don't sell in 19s any more in the UK, so you need to buy in from Europe, a great tyre but more expensive than both the GG AT and the Dura.
The Goodyear MTR is another choice, however, it's awful on the road for tyre noise. A mate's D3 has them fitted and over the tyre roar the Indy mechanic couldn't hear the sound of the wheel bearing that was at the point of collapsing.

Are you East or West coast of Canada, i'm looking at taking a year out and moving over to Canada for a new experience, chatting to a D3 mate who stays out West at Langley and goes to Whistler for skiiing.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Thanks for the info. The one I was going to check over first is sold :( There's a higher mileage 2006 HSE Black/Tan but interestingly, black carpet in the rear cargo area which is around $10k here. That would leave some room to do any work needing to be done. As I'll be putting lots of miles on it, it's not going to take long to get a more expensive lower mileage LR3 up over 200k.
It also seems the transmission in my 300TDi isn't a simple governor issue so I may be ordering a box from Ashcroft for it :(
I'm on the east side, north-east of Toronto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk