LR3 mystery noises, any guesses?

After a day in nasty sticky Idaho mud I washed the car getting as much mud off the wheels and undercarriage as humanly possible. After 300 highway miles I started to get a rattle sounding from the wheels, drive linkage, and/or drive train, the sound of gravel on metal. I can't find any visual problems and no warnings have been issued either. The car is preforming flawlessly minus the terrible grinding rattling noises at low speeds. Crawling under the rover I don't see any signs of damage, gravel where it doesn't belong etc. So looking at your collective knowledge to help me solve this problem.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I had a similar experience a couple years ago. It sounded like the wheels were going to lock up any second. I had it towed to the dealership, only to find there was a tiny rock grinding on the brake pad.

Turns out the passenger wheel bearing was shoot. The driver side not to far behind. To my surprise the local Land Rover dealer beat the price I was quoted by an independent shop. I've had the Rover for 50,000 miles and it is just shy of 100,000 miles and this is the first big expense I've had on it, much better than my DII, but still some sticker shock.

umbertob

Adventurer
They need to replace the whole wheel hub - can't replace just the bearings by themselves up in front. I think my local indy charged by about $300 or so - for one hub only - a couple of years ago (parts, labor + tax) for my 06 Sport, a dealer may be a bit more I am sure.

No the bearings are shot and caused damage to the entire hub assembly so hence the entire replacement, had I caught it earlier might have been able to go that route

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333