LR3 refresh / vvt

kameron

Last Fall I picked up a 2006 LR3 SE 4.4L with 162k on the clock for a price I could not refuse. I knew getting involved with a heavily discounted rover with a christmas tree dash would add costs, but would save that doing all the work on my own which has worked out.
It was in need of quite a bit of neglected work to get the rig reliable at my standards for distant offroad trips. This included new radiator, getting the suspension up to snuff, which included new bags, AMK compressor, and the front LCA. This week I am working on a failed rear upper ctrl arm (replacing all four while i'm in there before tires.
Since wrenching on the car, I am very satisfied with the performance and durability of the vehicle. Being a driver I am not as concerned with a new rover on the trail from getting the scratches and dings. I have put about 15K Truck gets very consistent 17.4mpg on a few trips (Maine WV backcountry)

I have the startup rattle which is what I have read is the VVT sprocket, with new plugs the engine has been silent otherwise, on a warm restart there is no noise.
Based on my ability I am not afraid to tear into the front cover, I will be getting new tires soon and after the suspension overhaul Id like to know if the timing chains/vvt should be on the short or long order for future service. my guess is i am looking at 2k in parts to tend to the chains tensioners and vvt change.

Will running a couple cans of BG EPR help to clear up the issue? Or is there some kind of leak that is causing a oil drain down in the VVT?
Should I have this as a mandatory item to change out, or have others been driving for many miles with no issue or long term wear?

Appreciate any wisdom or thoughts. This forum has been essential in digging into the truck and how to prepare it for touring,

Attachments

• LR3.jpg
    LR3.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

canoel

If it is only for a short duration 2-3 seconds, I would say it could be left for a while. I have had customers run theirs with a cold start rattle for years.
If the noise continued during operation, or changed after the initial 2-3 second rattle, that is sometimes a sign that the chain guides are cracked.
The vvt solenoid is not maintaining pressure when it sits, but appears to be otherwise functioning fine, otherwise you would most likely have a check engine light on, and/or poor running.
Having said that though, remember, a noise means metal on metal.
Try running a can of sea-foam in it, then dump the oil with it hot. Let it drain really good overnight.
Be sure to use a good quality synthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues