LR3 Shudder when Overtaking

SC4ws

Hey folks. It’s not often that I overtake anyone on the highway, but I could use some help diagnosing something funky with my LR3. When overtaking, I often get a shuddering/vibration that’s felt through the steering wheel. It happens in 3rd gear around 4-4.5k rpm (65-70 mph). It happens in auto and manual select, regardless of downshift or upshift into 3rd. Does NOT happen at 4.5k rpm in 1st or 2nd in high range. Does NOT happen in any gear in low range. I haven’t tested gears 4-6 in high range at that high rpm, as I would be significantly over any posted speed limit. Transmission, t-case and diffs have all been serviced w/in last 20k miles, most less that 5k miles. Issue existed before and after service.

I appreciate any help or insight.

gabrielef

I’d check your prop shaft carrier bearing, kind of in the middle underneath your rig. The drive shaft goes through it on its way back to the rear differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC4ws

I’d check your prop shaft carrier bearing, kind of in the middle underneath your rig. The drive shaft goes through it on its way back to the rear differential.

I checked the bearing for play, and there's about a 1/4" movement any direction or 1/2" total range of motion without pressing hard. Would you call that worn? I wouldn't say it's shot, but I don't know what they're like when new either.

gabrielef

I checked the bearing for play, and there's about a 1/4" movement any direction or 1/2" total range of motion without pressing hard. Would you call that worn? I wouldn't say it's shot, but I don't know what they're like when new either.

I don’t think there should be that much play at all. Maybe a 1/16” if that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach