M1010 Ambulance to Expedition Rig

Outback

Explorer
So in doing a little searching for these adapter/mounts it seems the "short" versions are on Ebay about 1/3rd the price of the "tall" versions. Would there be any reason that a mount that would span the difference between these two could not be made? I the fab skills to build a mount but without having these parts in front of me, it's hard for me to visualize how they integrate with the crossmember.

Loving this build and fingers crossed, I will be picking up another M1010. Really regret selling my first one.

PICT6077.jpg
If you have a TH400 currently in your Chevy then you can keep the stock Cross member mount and simply use the Tall spacer/mount. If you source a 700R4 "W" cross member mount then you need the short spacer/mount. I chose the short mount since I did source the W mount. Also I suspect with the tall mount the Case and Trans would have greater likely hood of Flexing pretty good with the Tall mount. I want to avoid that.

Outback

Explorer
The reason I asked these questions is that about 10 years ago I was looking to put a 700r4 behind a low revving high torque motor in a heavy vehicle with no aerodynamics and large tires. Cooler size could have been anything I wanted. I talked to a number of companies and even the ones that bragged about all the hp and torque they could take recommended against them for my application which was very similar to yours. The issue was not in low speed off roading it was with high speed driving for hours on end. After talking to many companies that catered to street driven vehicles I went to companies that embraced off roaders. I am curious as to if the same companies have now changed their tune, who are the builders that will stand behind their transmissions in your application?
P.A.T.C. will stand by their products. My Local Transmission shop has their standard 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. Heat is the biggest enemy of any Automatic Transmission. I have picked out a stacked and fanned transmission cooler made by Derale. This Transmission would be capable of towing a 6,000 lbs trailer in Overdrive. I wonett be towing. I believe this is not a big deal. This trans will be tougher by a large margin than a stock 4L80E transmission.

Where in AZ are you located? That thing is rad! Check out "bornforadventure" on Instagram...he has an M1010 all decked out for camping and wheeling, I am sure you could get some ideas for your build from him.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Mr outback I would be interested in knowing more about your 700r transmission swap. What did the transmission cost? How much power and torque can it handle? Please post some pics of your installation if you can. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Chilli...?

Outback

Explorer
I see what you mean in the price difference. Hmmmm....... Yah I will simply make a spacer out of steel. I have the W crossmember but it looks to my like it would change lower than the stock cross member. Something must be wrong on how I am picturing it. Need to see one mounted.

Outback

Explorer
From CHILLIWAK Himself: Mr outback I would be interested in knowing more about your 700r transmission swap. What did the transmission cost? How much power and torque can it handle? Please post some pics of your installation if you can. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Chilli.. (for some reason the quote button is not working for me)

The 700R4 I am having built should easily hand 650 HP/650 FT Lbs. Its pretty **************. My stocker 6.2 diesel is no where near those numbers. The price for trans built and everything installed is $3,000. Now on top of that I just ordered a brand newly rebuilt NP241. I paid $1300 and some change for it to be delivered. So far roughly im in to the swap for $4500. I went with everything new and over built as this is my primary Off Road Expedition vehicle. I plan on putting her to use for many years. Just as soon as my wife retires..... In the mean time we have been hitting a trail about once a month.

Outback

Explorer
Here is the "W" 700R4 Crossmember primed and painted as of a few minutes ago. I may go with my stock Turbo 400 Crossmember though. We will see.

I will bolt her back together in the morning after she dries up. I picked up some new grade 8 hardware with nylocks ect..

El Gordo

EL Gordo
You may consider using an electric fan with the trans cooler. A couple of guys have done this with their rigs (big heavy burbs) over at CK5 with their 4l80's. Keep the temps in check and it'll work fine.

Outback

Explorer
El Gordo,
I have a Derale 13960 transmission cooler ready to go in. This should do the job of keeping that 700R4 nice and cool.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
At some point I am going to get a heat sink type power steering cooler. For the power steering unit. This will increase the oil capacity by 14 fluid ounces as well. Im looking at the Derale 14" unit.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
All painted and bolted back together. Used Grade 8 hardware with lock washers and nylocks. I have a few more items coming in Monday. On Tuesday I will be dropping off the Campulance and she should be done in two weeks or so. 510147510148

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater