M101A1 Trailer Build

jsniper06

Hello guys,
I am not new to the site, but this is my first post. I have been gathering all the great info on here. Now its time to start my own trailer build. I picked up this M101A1 trailer last week from Gov Liquidation web site. Its in pretty good shape for me to build on. The price was even better, only $175. Monday I am going to start with an axle swap and tires to match my Bronco. If any of you guys have any advice or comments, please post up. I followed the web site close last year while I was in Iraq. I know yall have ton of knowledge on this. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 229

JPK

Explorer
There are couple of recent threads on M101's recently. A search will reveal them.

You can invert your lunnette for more height to better match your Bronco if the new tires don't get the trailer riding level. That's better than using a dropped hook.

I assume your axle swap will take care of the lug pattern and wheels. Most tire shops aroung here don't work on Budd split rims anymore, but some heavy truck/semi oriented shops still do.

I have an M101A1 and an A2/3, which has the dropped axle of the A3 fitted but with the box of the A2 with the narrower fenders like the A1. They're both great.

My A2/3 is riding on the hummer eight bolt/eight lug bead lock wheels without the inserts with the hummer 37x12.5x16.5 tires. Great match with my Jeep's 37x12.5x17 tires as far as ride height.

I don't know what your plans are or how handy you are, but the box dimensions will take several aluminum or fiberglass pick up caps and also several "universal" ladder rack will bolt to the rails under the cap if you want to go that quick and easy route.

JPK

jsniper06

Thanks for the great info. I have read all the m101 threads. I have learned alot from them.
Yes, I am going to go with the 3500 alxe with 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. My plan is to take the rails off, cover the top, and put a RTT on it.
Maybe even solar soon after. Lots I want to do, tires and axle first.

JPK

Explorer
By writing "bolts to the rails" regarding the universl ladder racks, I meant bolts to the steel formed lip, not the wood or composite racks. Some of the ladder racks I looked at were more than strong enough to support a RTT, in fact, even two.

jsniper06

Here are a few more pics I have, will try to get more this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 153

daninghram

Adventurer
Nice! The lights on your bronco, what are they?How are they bolted on? I would love to see some close ups. I have a 70 Bronco.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I'm working on a similar build right now. Sadly I'm out of town for a month and away from my trailer. So for now watching this build will suffice! Good luck I can't wait to see how this turns out

jsniper06

Nice! The lights on your bronco, what are they?How are they bolted on? I would love to see some close ups. I have a 70 Bronco.

These bracket a guy out of Baton Rouge made them for me. I have not seen them anywhere else. Still have to hook my lights back up, just rattle canned the truck green last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    949.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

jsniper06

I'm working on a similar build right now. Sadly I'm out of town for a month and away from my trailer. So for now watching this build will suffice! Good luck I can't wait to see how this turns out

I saw your thread, coming along nicely. If you have any ideas on the lid let me know. That is what I will be startong on after the axle and tires next week, Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal