M101a1

Chili

Explorer
I was just looking at these yesterday but was concerned about the weight. I don't need that much room to justify the weight. There are a number of them for sale locally though, as low as $500. Some nice looking ones with bows tarp and all.

bucksnort

looke what followed me home last week
Picture021-1.jpg

Corbet

Observer
I've had one for 8 years now. Never have used it for expo use, but that is soon to change. I'm planning a full expo build this summer. Up until now its only been used to haul firewood.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 96

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Thinking about picking up a M101a2 to tow behind my JK unlimited. It would be for mostly onroad use (I miss having a pickup so, it would be performing pickup duties) with some very light offroad. It'd be mostly for utility use but would also probably be used as a base for camping! Seems like the weight would be within reason- the trailer would be about 1,500lbs vs the Jeep's max rating is 3500lbs, leaving plenty of cargo capacity. I like the larger size of the M101a2 vs a 416 since it would allow me to haul plywood, couches, beds, etc. What do y'all think? Would this combo- JKU and M101a2 be wise?

JPK

Explorer
I think the JKU and the M101's go well together. I have both an M101A1 and an A2/3 (A2 with the axle switched by the Army to the A3 drop axle) and they tow great behind my JKU - but my JKU has a Hemi in it. My A2/3 rides on the 12.5x37 Hummer tires and my Jeep rides on 12.5x37 BFG's so hitch height matches well without need to either drop or raise. I like the A2/3's surge brakes and I'll forget its there towing. Behnd my 2500 Suburban its also a breeze, as you'd expect, but I need to raise the pintle hook like 6" to match the lunnette height.

For off road use on tight or technical trails its darn big, but for ulitility and camping use it would be fine. I use mine for ultility work in lieu of the PU I don't have.

JPK

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I wish I had a Hemi in my JKU!!! Stock 3.8 here... :(

I definitely won't be doing tight or technical trails with it, I'm talking more like old gravel roads! Thanks for the info bro!

AzRover

Observer
I have a M101A2 that I pull with a Land Rover. I have not done any conversions. I just fill it with all my camping stuff, and put my boat on top. I have pulled it over some rough forest roads. I have a Dixon Bate rotating pintle. I like it, it's a good all around cargo trailer that can go anywhere my truck can go.

BadPunkin

Observer
M101a

I am hoping to start a M101A? full expo build very soon. Subscribed and will update as things progress.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
When you start looking make sure you get a 101 A2 or A3. the A1 is an old design, used behind the M37. The A1 has the old split ring wheels with a 5 hole lug nut to match the M37. The A2 has been upgraded with 8 lug rims that any 3/4 ton chevy or ford rim fit. Also the A2 has a crank up tongue jack. Now the A3 was designed for the Humvee. It has a one ton axle, which is a little wider. They moved the fenders out some to cover the tires, in doing so made more room in the box. A2 and A3's are great trailers, totally heavy duty.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
101a build

Keep the build pictures coming, I need more ideas.
My trailer is finished, now for the extras.

RTT mounted on safari rack.
Camp kitchen build
Water tank installation.
Jerry can mounted on the front.
Slide in counter with sink.
Hot water camp shower.
Battery added with outlets.
Cover for the tub.

Attachments

• DSC05174.JPG
    DSC05174.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 60