M101A2, Another home on wheels build thread

banjotx

Observer
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/index.html had the wiring adapter and worked like it's suppose to.

Item# X-6034
$78.00

Product Description

Trailer adapter cable X-6034 (Rev 1) to change from a Military trailer 12-way electrical plug to a standard civilian 7-way flat blade plug. (MS75021-2 to Pollack 12-706) Cable provides tail lights/marker lights, right turn, left turn, brake, ground connections. 48 inches overall length. 14 awg cable (Tectran Articflex cable - flexable down to -85F). Made in USA.

replaced bulbs;Napa bulb #'s
Big: 1156
Small: 67 or 97 (both work)

Last edited:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/index.html had the wiring adapter and worked like it's suppose to.

That's a cool little part. My lights have already been converted to 12v by the previous owner and he just used quick crimp electrical connectors, in reverse, to hook a 4 wire trailer connector to the military plug. Once I get my axle I think I'll create a new harness that will incorporate the brakes and then I'll tie in to the connections on the tongue of the trailer for the lights and remove the military connector completely.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Who needs an axle anyway?

So I have a work trip coming up that will prevent any progress on the trailer for roughly 7 weeks. Trying to tackle as many major things as I can before I leave. In that spirit I removed the axle tonight.

If you're considering doing this make sure you can dedicate about 3 1/2 hours of your life to laying on your back and screaming at nuts and bolts. Anyway...

I used a combination of jack stands and some saw horses to hold the trailer up in the air and raise the tires off the floor a couple inches. I then used a bottle jack to support the middle of the u-bolt bracket under each spring saddle.

2.jpg

By far the easiest part of this process was removing the bolts for the shocks and the shocks themselves.

1.jpg

After that I began to tackle the nuts on the u-bolts. This is not fun. Between the chemical resistant paint covering the threads and some sort of thread locking adhesive that the military used it was quite the job getting the nuts off the u-bolts. I used a 2 foot breaker bar and would certainly recommend a 3 foot if you've got it. There were times, because of the twisting pressure being applied, that the socket on my breaker bar was hot enough to cause burns. But, after 3 hours I had this:

3.jpg

I decided to pull the axle with the tires on and hubs intact just to keep it a little more mobile and easier to move. I have a feeling this is going to sit in my garage or under my covered back porch for a while until I can unload it. I also left all of the parking brake assembly, cables and handles attached because it was easier that way.

After pulling the axle I decided I was tired of trying to find someone to fabricate a new axle so I made a new one myself.

5.jpg

I figure a piece of 1 by 1 pine should easily support 3500 lbs right? Ok, maybe not. What it did do is allow me to double check my axle measurements before committing to the order I'm placing on Monday. I cut the 1 by to 63 inches, marked off the spacers, the hub faces and the spring centers and clamped it into place on top of the springs using the spring center measurements for placement. So far as I can tell this is going to work out exactly as I had planned, although in a fit of paranoia I may take the spare off the Jeep tomorrow and press it to the end of my "axle" just for further visual confirmation.

4.jpg

It looks like I'm going to order an axle through www.dexterpartsonline.com out of Greenville SC. I spoke to Justin there on Friday, explained what I was doing and the dimensions I needed. He made a few suggestions and came back with a quote of $328 for a 3500# axle 59" HF - HF with electric brakes and 5 x 5 bolt pattern hubs shipped to my door in about a week and a half. I had also requested a 3" outer diameter tube for the axle so I could reuse the military ubolts and hardware. He let me know that Dexter would charge somewhere in the ballpark of $110 to do that but that he could put together a ubolt kit for about $20 that would allow me to use the 2" military springs without going to a 3" OD axle. Sweet! I would like to say that I called 6 or 7 different places and got numerous internet quotes and this was by far the best price and the best service I got out of anyone. Price quotes ranged from the upper $300's to $670 from a local trailer place (can you say rip off?). I'm going to place my order Monday and I'll make sure to post up how the service and quality is after the order.

For those of you that have done the axle swap do you have any pictures of the spring saddle area after the new axle is mounted? I'd be curious to see how it worked out. The military axle has a spring saddle on top and bottom but it appears the Dexter axle has it just on one side. I know the landscape style trailer I have only has spring saddles on one side as well. Any reason the military went with two?

shack

Adventurer
My axle was about $600 but that was after the 5200lb upgrade, 12" brakes and adding the backplates for parking brakes.

Also, I mentioned that I'd check the measurements on mine. We ordered my axle at 61". Again, this was due to the different wheel offset/backspacing on the rims I'm running. I also figured that if I wanted to go back to stock length, I'd just add a set of spidertrax.

406expo

Adventurer
not sure, I went ahead and kept the stock axle on my m101a2 and m101a3. I really like the a3 drop axle, lots of good clearance and heavy duty. On my m416 though I went with a dexter axle and it mounted up perfectly to stock mounts. Trailer is coming along nice though, I will keep an eye out. These old military trailers are an absolute blast for work on and so handy to use.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
So I pulled the spare off the Jeep and wheeled it into place just for peace of mind. Looks like things are going to line up just right. Ordering the axle in the morning.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Subscribed. Looks like a really nice trailer. Glad I could share some inspirations.

Sending you a PM on the cover and bows. :sombrero:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
The parts keep piling up. Picked up 5 almost new take off rims and tires to match what I'm running on the Jeep and provide a spare....or two...or three.

1.jpg

Pretty much the same size as the military tires that are coming off.

2.jpg

Then I got a call today from FedEx that they were concerned about making a delivery to me on Monday. Apparently they were going to attempt to deliver my axle using an 18 wheeler and had examined where I live on google maps and decided it was a bad idea. So I drove down to Athens and picked up my axle from the FedEx hub.

3.jpg

I put it up on a jack under the trailer and it seems like all the measurements are good. Won't know for sure until the wheel spacers arrive but I wanted to get the axle in my hands first to take some measurements of the center hub before ordering the spacer. Here's some measurements that might help others in the future. This is an electric brake, ez-lube hub...other hubs will differ in dimensions.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
After working the last 7 weeks in Montana and North Carolina I finally came home this past weekend. This morning I spent about an hour in the garage with the pile of parts that had been awaiting my return.

Today was a good day.

swap.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
All that measuring you did paid off. Looks like axle fits well. Are you planning to add shocks?

I don't plan on it currently, but I guess ultimately it depends on how it rides after I get everything mounted up and loaded in it.

All the parts for the break away kit and the wiring for the lights and electric brake connections are showing up tomorrow. Jerry cans and brake controller arrived today. I'm also going to check with a local fabricator about creating a rack for the RTT. Something like this I think:

1.jpg

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
After the hours of measuring and fretting over getting an axle to match the Jeep's lug pattern everything has finally come together. Then yesterday....this...uh....happened.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Looks like the new tow vehicle and the trailer will be running different bolt patterns for a while now. People who know me will tell you I have a compulsive vehicle buying problem and that I need help. There may be an intervention soon. :********:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Did a little wiring today. I broke out the multimeter to pin out the wires on the trailer.

1.JPG

I had found multiple listings online of the m101a2 wiring diagram but didn't trust that the former owner hadn't hacked into something somewhere. After pinning everything out I broke out the strippers, crimpers and heat shrink and went to work.

2.JPG

I hate ugly wiring so I then took an abnormal amount of time to organize and loom everything making sure to maintain flexibility for component movement when the trailer is in use.

3.JPG

4.JPG

Mounted the break away battery to the front of the tool box to keep it out of the way.

5.JPG

6.JPG

I began taking measurements for the tent rack and I'm trying to make up my mind on a design. If I go with a fixed rack the tent will sit below the roof line of the truck, but won't sit high enough for my liking or to use the annex room. I'm leaning toward an articulating design that will travel low and then be able to raise up a foot or so once it's time to deploy the tent. I have a local fabrication shop doing a quote on a fixed rack (or they're supposed to be, haven't heard from them in a few days). I'd really like to do something like Schutt Industries does on their Xventure XV-1.

XVENTURE_XV1A_Base_Camp-2_1024x1024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77